Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.6 NA with TD Pump Fuel Issue, Please Help

Vehicles
      04 R32, 83 Gti, 85 Golf 2dr Diesel, 90 1Z Corrado, 91 G60, 92 SLC, 96 1Z B4, 99.5 Golf 2 dr, Eurovan
      03-17-2012 03:14 PM #1
      Last fall the pump on my NA 1.6 started leeaking bad and since I new it needed rebuilding I sent out my 1.6 TD pump to have rebuilt at Hans Diesel Parts. I also did have a leaking headgasket wich resulted in me replacing the entire engine with one I had rebuild years past but never used. Here is my problem. I did not install a turbo on the engine but used the TD pump on it. Its hard to start and when it does the idle is lumpy and when you accelerate the motor stumbles and has a lot of smoke coming out from the exhuast. Then it dies. It appers to be running very rich when throttle is pushed. I did feel that #2 injector was not running as smoth as other when the line was craked so I replaced it with a spare. There was little to no change. What is my next step?
      You can hear the idle being bad and then when I pan away thords the back of the car its to show the smoke.
      http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...-31-24_269.mp4

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      03-17-2012 10:02 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by vwscream View Post
      Last fall the pump on my NA 1.6 started leeaking bad and since I new it needed rebuilding I sent out my 1.6 TD pump to have rebuilt at Hans Diesel Parts. I also did have a leaking headgasket wich resulted in me replacing the entire engine with one I had rebuild years past but never used. Here is my problem. I did not install a turbo on the engine but used the TD pump on it. Its hard to start and when it does the idle is lumpy and when you accelerate the motor stumbles and has a lot of smoke coming out from the exhuast. Then it dies. It appers to be running very rich when throttle is pushed. I did feel that #2 injector was not running as smoth as other when the line was craked so I replaced it with a spare. There was little to no change. What is my next step?
      You can hear the idle being bad and then when I pan away thords the back of the car its to show the smoke.
      http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...-31-24_269.mp4

Hans diesel parts, theres your problem.. guy is a hack job.. your pump probably left your hands in better condition than when it returned..

this guy sells injection pumps, and 99.9% of the time, they dont run, the other .1% of the time, they dont run right.. and they are sure as hell never test run on an engine..

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you got taken.. this pump is probably basically junk now..

start looking for ANOTHER DIFFERENT pump, preferably a n/a pump, and send it to a REAL pump rebuilder, or else take it to somewhere local, so you can talk face to face with the re-builder..

sorry buddy, but your pump you payed for to have re-built, definitely was, but with the cheapest chinese parts Prothe (pete rothenbacher, hans diesel, e-miata) could source..

like i say, you most likely got taken.. i would ask for your money, or a portion of your money back..

theres no fixing the pump you have, unless you have a REAL PUMP BUILDER do a FULL BOSCH REBUILD on it..

sorry, but thats just how it is.. prothe makes SOO MUCH MONEY ripping people off on his "rebuilt" pumps..

Vehicles
      5 old VW Diesels
      03-17-2012 10:23 PM #3
      Man i feel bad for you.
      Of all the places in the USA to send an Inj Pump - you picked the worst one.
      Hans Diesel is Prothe in NC. Do a search on here using prothe - or any VW Diesel forum.
      Its not pretty.

Best bet for now is to swap your leaking NA pump onto the new engine.
      And see how that runs.

To clarify -

Did you send him a pump just to have it resealed ?
      Or to have it "rebuilt" ?
      What was the cost involved ?

A while back he was offering reseal service for around 100-125
      Normally he deals in selling his "rebuilt" pumps - with a core exchange.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 83 Gti, 85 Golf 2dr Diesel, 90 1Z Corrado, 91 G60, 92 SLC, 96 1Z B4, 99.5 Golf 2 dr, Eurovan
      03-17-2012 11:30 PM #4
      I sent the pump to have it looked over and sealed. It cost was not that much and news i found out the posts and etc. It was to late for it. I take the news as good since it explains why its not running right. I have since sourced a bosh seal kit but the na pump still was out of calibration. Any referels for a place to send it too? Partsplace inc or other?

Vehicles
      Retired
      03-18-2012 12:01 AM #5
      http://www.mwfi.com/dieselpage/vw_diesel_parts.htm

If you are in Illinois these folks are local
      Even if not in IL, these folks are good. Bosch certified, stand behind their stuff
      Have referred several people to them. Always good reports

Vehicles
      5 old VW Diesels
      03-18-2012 03:37 PM #6
      Re-check and see if the injection pump might be 1 tooth off.
      That is not uncommon if whoever set up the belt after the pump switch has not done a lot of 1.6 Diesel
      timing belt resets. Worth verifying

7. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      03-18-2012 04:25 PM #7
      yes, its best to verify mechanical timing before calling it a loss, and re-doing the injection pump..

Vehicles
      03-18-2012 10:50 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Baron VonZeppelin View Post
      Re-check and see if the injection pump might be 1 tooth off.
      That is not uncommon if whoever set up the belt after the pump switch has not done a lot of 1.6 Diesel
      timing belt resets. Worth verifying
      The timing belt is on correctly and the pump timing has been checked and re checked to make sure it where it needs to be. I would lean to it being the pump it self but just for kicks i will go over the timing again, belt and ignition.

Vehicles
      5 old VW Diesels
      03-19-2012 12:49 AM #9
      Might also be worth checking to see if the pump sprocket is 180* off - or even the pump itself could be 180* off internally - since you had not run this pump before. i think ?

A guy on vwdiesel.net is currently going through the same type scenario.
      He is about to check if the pump might be 180* off internally.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=31131.0

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 08:13 PM #10
      Well i put the pump 180 and now it wont idle and smokes a lot.

Vehicles
      5 old VW Diesels
      03-20-2012 10:17 PM #11
      Okay - so it got a little worse instead of better, it sounds like.
      Pump is Dump.

Can you tell for certain whether they sent you back your same Pump - or sent an exchange ?

The best bet - especially sice you have a Non-Turbo
      Is to send your Standard N/A Inj Pump to Giles in Ontario Canada for his Uber Super Full Rebuild.
      You'll pick up about 15-20 Horsepower (similar to stock TD Power) with no harm in fuel economy.
      Price it out with several places - then call Giles for a quote.
      He is usually in line cost-wise with most others standard spec rebuilds.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 12:09 AM #12
      Its the same pump.

I got a newly rebuilt pump form Jason at Midwest and it runs like a champ now. Guess that jocker down south is just that.

13. 04-03-2012 08:23 AM #13
      if you send another pump out, Performance Diesel Injection in Canada is a great spot. You can get a super pump for about the price of a normal USA rebuild. Giles is the guy, and you will have fun in your car after you get one.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 02:17 PM #14
      Thanks for the heads up. Right now I am all good with the pump that is in it right now. Maybe in the future once I have the turbo rebuild kit I may end up sending a pump to him or Midwest. My fun car is a either of the Corrados or my DD R32.

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 10:13 AM #15
      Okay I got another pump on and its better. One issue im gacing is #2 cylinder misfires for a few minutes and them the engine runs fine. I have swapped injector from #1 in its place and the miss stayed within #2 cylinder. My next step is to order up a pressure check guage to see the compression. Maybe that the issue. Any recommendations?