Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 42 of 42

    Thread: RacingBrake 330mm 4-piston caliper + rotor kit - installed - initial review / impressions

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-28-2012 06:49 PM #26
      HaywireTig
      Thanks nkgneto! Was v helpful indeed. How does it feel when u first used it. Does it slam down hard when u press the brakes a tad too hard... ie is it a jerky overly strong stop at the initial brake?

      I read somewhere that the Brembo's have progressively sized pistons therefore doesn't immediately wanna slam down hard when u first brake. Is it like that too w RB brakes?
      I'm not sure what progressively sized pistons means, exactly but no - no need to worry about such extreme stopping power that you will slam your face into the steering wheel from a sudden stab at the brake pedal

      Honestly, it's very hard for me to say rather I have gained or lost anything (so I assume it's roughly the same) in terms of outright stopping power with these rotors / calipers versus OE. What I know beyond any doubt that I HAVE gained is very noticeably more linear, predictable, easy to feel relationship between pedal pressure and stopping power (mushy - WTF's happenin down there - brake pedal feel = GONE) and I have gained massively in terms of benefits related to reduced unsprung weight. I am very happy with the results and highly recommend this kit!!

      As far as outright stopping power, pads make a big difference, and I have just fitted EBC yellowstuff up front (rear yellowstuff to be fitted soon). Very noisy at first, but starting to quiet down, and though I have not really pushed them yet, the difference is easily perceptible. I'm looking forward to having yellowstuff front and rear fully broke in - I'm thinking it will be EPIC - compared to stock - but it's still not going to slam your face into the wheel at the slightest touch of the pedal, so no worries there

    2. Member Mr_Peach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2007
      Location
      Woodinville, WA
      Posts
      4,017
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      04-28-2012 07:03 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by motrrrpsycho View Post
      ...
      As far as outright stopping power, pads make a big difference, and I have just fitted EBC yellowstuff up front (rear yellowstuff to be fitted soon). Very noisy at first, but starting to quiet down, and though I have not really pushed them yet, the difference is easily perceptible. I'm looking forward to having yellowstuff front and rear fully broke in - I'm thinking it will be EPIC - compared to stock - but it's still not going to slam your face into the wheel at the slightest touch of the pedal, so no worries there
      I'll be watching for your impressions of Yellowstuffs with those rotors.

      I'm running Yellowstuffs F/R with stock rotors and calipers and a Tyrol kit. The combination of Yellowstuffs and the Tyrol kit seems to have taken much of the "snap and grab" out of the stock setup and put me on the path to linearity.

      The pads are a little on the noisy side, particularly at first. I've done a couple track days with them, and I have zero complaints. I was hoping they might serve me well on an RB rotor. Of course, I'm watching to see what sort of "deal" RB might do on the new calipers / rotor combo, so I'm not even sure there is an appropriate Yellowstuff pad for the new caliper.
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

    3. 04-29-2012 07:25 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by motrrrpsycho View Post
      I'm not sure what progressively sized pistons means, exactly but no - no need to worry about such extreme stopping power that you will slam your face into the steering wheel from a sudden stab at the brake pedal

      Honestly, it's very hard for me to say rather I have gained or lost anything (so I assume it's roughly the same) in terms of outright stopping power with these rotors / calipers versus OE. What I know beyond any doubt that I HAVE gained is very noticeably more linear, predictable, easy to feel relationship between pedal pressure and stopping power (mushy - WTF's happenin down there - brake pedal feel = GONE) and I have gained massively in terms of benefits related to reduced unsprung weight. I am very happy with the results and highly recommend this kit!!

      As far as outright stopping power, pads make a big difference, and I have just fitted EBC yellowstuff up front (rear yellowstuff to be fitted soon). Very noisy at first, but starting to quiet down, and though I have not really pushed them yet, the difference is easily perceptible. I'm looking forward to having yellowstuff front and rear fully broke in - I'm thinking it will be EPIC - compared to stock - but it's still not going to slam your face into the wheel at the slightest touch of the pedal, so no worries there
      Thanks for the detailed reply motorrpsycho! It's good to hear!! I'm sorry abt my poor description abt 'progressively sized pistons'. What I read was that the Brembo has say 6 pistons: the first one is small, the 2nd is slightly bigger, the 3rd is jus slightly bigger than the 2nd... Etc,.. N the 6th is the largest n strongest in strength. Therefore they are able to control the braking strength. If U know what I mean...!

      But what u described certainly clears that bit up.

      I didn't know that EBC pads can e fitted on RB brakes calipers. Are the Yellow's for track...? Why not the Reds?

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-30-2012 02:41 AM #29
      Hi guys, so... full disclosure since I brought up yellowstuff - I'm not sure what the 345mm rotor sized calipers will use (guessing standard R pads so probably no issue there) but for the 330mm kit - RB says to use WRX pads, which turned out to not exactly fit the RB calipers "out of the box". Compared to the RB pads which came with my rotor/caliper kit, the WRX spec yellowstuff pads matched up in terms of where the bolts go through and the pad surface area just fine, but on the backing plate (not sure of exact term) the leading two edges had squared off corners and there was a tab on the front edge. So long story short - I basically had to hacksaw the corners and tab off of the yellowstuff back plate (did not have to cut the actual pad area at all). Without doing this, the pad in the outside position would go in fine as the caliper is open in front there, but the pad sliding in to the inside position won't fit as the inside of the caliper does not allow for the extra back plate material on the corners or the tab. I have not contacted RB yet, but will try to do so to make sure I got the right pads / let them know about it. This was a slight pain, but I really wanted to try the yellowstuffs, am not afraid to "tweak" things as needed, so it was not too big of a deal to me.

      Progressive piston sizes sound cool. The 4 pistons in these calipers are all the same size.

      Why yellowstuffs? From what I have gathered, they are the best pad for double duty (street / track) and have rave reviews from members on this board. I may end up using reds if I decide I've had my track fun and want a good pad just for street.

    5. 04-30-2012 05:53 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by motrrrpsycho View Post
      Hi guys, so... full disclosure since I brought up yellowstuff - I'm not sure what the 345mm rotor sized calipers will use (guessing standard R pads so probably no issue there) but for the 330mm kit - RB says to use WRX pads, which turned out to not exactly fit the RB calipers "out of the box". Compared to the RB pads which came with my rotor/caliper kit, the WRX spec yellowstuff pads matched up in terms of where the bolts go through and the pad surface area just fine, but on the backing plate (not sure of exact term) the leading two edges had squared off corners and there was a tab on the front edge. So long story short - I basically had to hacksaw the corners and tab off of the yellowstuff back plate (did not have to cut the actual pad area at all). Without doing this, the pad in the outside position would go in fine as the caliper is open in front there, but the pad sliding in to the inside position won't fit as the inside of the caliper does not allow for the extra back plate material on the corners or the tab. I have not contacted RB yet, but will try to do so to make sure I got the right pads / let them know about it. This was a slight pain, but I really wanted to try the yellowstuffs, am not afraid to "tweak" things as needed, so it was not too big of a deal to me.

      Progressive piston sizes sound cool. The 4 pistons in these calipers are all the same size.

      Why yellowstuffs? From what I have gathered, they are the best pad for double duty (street / track) and have rave reviews from members on this board. I may end up using reds if I decide I've had my track fun and want a good pad just for street.
      Aaaah... Thanks for clarifying mpsycho! I actually haven't thought of the issue on pad replacements w the RB brakes. So it's not a simple issue of just getting another aftermarket pad n fitting it in. We basically are 'limited' to RB's pads. But u managed to fit the Yellow stuff pads on! U don't happen to have photos on the pads installation do ya?

    6. Member Mr_Peach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2007
      Location
      Woodinville, WA
      Posts
      4,017
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      04-30-2012 10:48 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by motrrrpsycho View Post
      Hi guys, so... full disclosure since I brought up yellowstuff - I'm not sure what the 345mm rotor sized calipers will use (guessing standard R pads so probably no issue there) ....t.
      Nah, it's a Jeep pad. I'm 'pulling on that thread' in Ryan E's thread.....

      I'm toying with going with 345 RB rotors and Yellowstuffs. Still waiting on initial offer price for the calipers. Weighing cost/weight/hassle factor benefits.
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-30-2012 12:46 PM #32
      Aaaah... Thanks for clarifying mpsycho! I actually haven't thought of the issue on pad replacements w the RB brakes. So it's not a simple issue of just getting another aftermarket pad n fitting it in. We basically are 'limited' to RB's pads. But u managed to fit the Yellow stuff pads on! U don't happen to have photos on the pads installation do ya?
      Well, I don't know for certain yet - I may have got the wrong pad, or could be something different with the shape of the back plate that is specific to the yellowstuffs - not sure. I didn't take pics, but I plan to make a simple sketch to send to RB along with the PN of pads I used. I need to get a flickr account or something though, coz this forum does not allow image uploads (and I don't do FB or anything else that I could link to).

      I tried to install the the rear yellows yesterday (my first attempt at rear pad install on my R) and I could not get the damn pistons to compress! I could barely even get my well worn OE pads back in there, and now one of them is making a really loud, constant dragging noise Guess I need to get that "special tool" as noted in the rear pad DIY. I tried using a cheepo one, and it was pretty much useless...

    8. Member Slave IV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2010
      Posts
      3,583
      Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      04-30-2012 03:31 PM #33
      Nice updates...I'm not sure I like all the DIY fixes to get things right but the final results sound great.

      As for the progressive piston sizes...your description is correct except there are three pistons on each side of the caliper and the pistons facing each other should be the same size..so there are only three different sizes (on a 6 pot setup), not six.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-30-2012 05:18 PM #34
      I'm not sure I like all the DIY fixes to get things right
      Unless I'm forgetting something, the only thing that was not "right" or that I had to DIY fix so far is the shape of the back plate on a set of non-RB pads. I'll contact RB about it and report back (maybe I got the wrong pads or maybe they are not aware and might be willing/able to modify their design or....???).

    10. Member Slave IV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2010
      Posts
      3,583
      Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      04-30-2012 05:25 PM #35
      Cool.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

    11. Member nkgneto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2004
      Location
      West Burbs, IL
      Posts
      5,931
      Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      04-30-2012 05:33 PM #36
      Their pad design. They designed a caliper that uses the 06-08 STi or 300zx pads.
      So you can order pads from those cars and it will be a direct fit/no mod needed.


    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-30-2012 05:51 PM #37
      Luis, is it supposed to be STi pads? Coz the website just says "wrx" so I think I got regular wrx pads (I'm not even sure if they are different but will look them up later). Must... stop... forum-ing and get... back....to........ work (need more $$$ for more modz )

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-30-2012 06:42 PM #38
      Couldn't resist - had to look it up. The 06-08 WRX pads are same for standard / STi variants - or at least the EBC PNs are the same: DP41200R

      I sent an email to RB while I was at it. OK - back to work now....

    14. Member nkgneto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2004
      Location
      West Burbs, IL
      Posts
      5,931
      Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      04-30-2012 06:53 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by motrrrpsycho View Post
      Couldn't resist - had to look it up. The 06-08 WRX pads are same for standard / STi variants - or at least the EBC PNs are the same: DP41200R

      I sent an email to RB while I was at it. OK - back to work now....
      I emailed them also to double check. I was thinking the same thing ^ but wanted to be certain.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2011
      Location
      PDX
      Posts
      669
      Vehicles
      MKV R32
      04-30-2012 10:07 PM #40
      I got a reply from Warren noting that the RB pads comply to the standard FMSI shape D647 and he reference this pic:



      So... I guess even though the EBC PN DP41200R is the pad they list for both WRX and 300ZX, it does not fit the "standard" shape. Oh well. I guess if you buy this kit, this is just one thing to keep in mind - that you need pads that look like the above or need to be willing and able to dremel / hacksaw the front tab and front corners off a bit to make them fit. I found a site that has pics of the pads I got (though I did not buy from them - got through amazon for about 30 bucks less and free shipping).

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •