Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Firearm Dope Shiz

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      04-19-2012 06:02 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      The grand-daddy of them all...

[STG44]
      I believe that ATI is making the .22LR version of it and I think another company is making a repro in 762x39 but can't find links. Would be nice to complement an AK with. The FG42 repros look nice as well but run $5k.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

2. 04-19-2012 08:58 PM #72
      ^Yep, as well as an MP40 in .22LR.

3. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      05-01-2012 04:00 PM #73
      Dope shiz from real life. I simply love the intensity of this photo from last year:

The photo is of New Zealand Special Forces leaving the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul after fending off a 5 hour Taliban siege on June 28, 2011.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

4. 05-01-2012 07:11 PM #74
      Now that's a great photo. Curious - are those full on suppressors, or just quasi-suppressors? Look too short to be fully capable.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 07:51 PM #75
      Mini from Surefire?

Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta, 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD
      05-01-2012 08:20 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Mini from Surefire?
      Not sure but it looks like M4 that theyre using and not a .308 rifle that the Mini needs
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-01-2012 08:24 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by GrkPranksta69 View Post
      Not sure but it looks like M4 that theyre using and not a .308 rifle that the Mini needs
      I thought there was a 5.56 version too?

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4
      05-01-2012 08:51 PM #78
      The Mini is a 5.56 suppressor. Its not for .308 at all.

http://www.surefire.com/mini-suppressor.html

Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta, 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD
      05-01-2012 08:53 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I thought there was a 5.56 version too?
      Quote Originally Posted by .:RDriver View Post
      The Mini is a 5.56 suppressor. Its not for .308 at all.

http://www.surefire.com/mini-suppressor.html
      You all are right, it was under the .308 suppressors and I didn't read the description of it at all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      05-01-2012 09:05 PM #80
      I have a question about that photo. Where is the ammo cart that they took in with them? How did they survive a 5 hour siege with only the ammo they could carry on their gear? I am not military so no idea what a 5 hour siege consists of but considering a mag dump takes only a couple seconds I would have thought a 5 hour standoff would require a train car of ammo.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

11. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 10:05 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      I have a question about that photo. Where is the ammo cart that they took in with them? How did they survive a 5 hour siege with only the ammo they could carry on their gear? I am not military so no idea what a 5 hour siege consists of but considering a mag dump takes only a couple seconds I would have thought a 5 hour standoff would require a train car of ammo.
      http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226084780238

It was not a nonstop event but rather a long drawn out manhunt. The Taliban was shooting from the hotel and the security forces were attacking them from the outside.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

05-01-2012 10:15 PM #82
      Thought I heard 7, 30rd magazines were standard. (excluding sidearm)

No idea for special scenarios but I would assume as much as you can carry.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 11:03 PM #83
      Reading the article it sounds much different than I expected. I was envisioning something like the final scene from 9th company.
      Aaron

14. 05-01-2012 11:45 PM #84
      Real combat/violent confrontations are rarely how they are portrayed in the entertainment business.

05-01-2012 11:52 PM #85
      from my understanding, mag dumps are just for the movies too. Not the best use of resources.

05-02-2012 12:18 AM #86
      I can't find it but there was a video of marines detonating an IED and slow walking away from it.

This channel has a bunch of cool/interesting videos.

Nothing like fighting in your undies..

17. 05-02-2012 02:51 AM #87
      Standard rifleman load is anywhere from 6-8 magazines, but often on patrols you'll have a couple guys carrying bandoleers or packs with spare ammo. LRRP guys can carry a f_ckload of ammo if needed.

The ill-fated Bravo Two Zero SAS team deployed in the first Gulf War consisted of 8 men:

4x M16's with M203 grenade launchers
      4x Minimi LMG (M249's)
      +2-4 anti-tank rockets (small, disposable I think)
      +demo charges, etc.
      +several thousands of rounds of ammo a piece.
      +sidearms
      +grenades for the M203's
      +hand grenades

They said the guys who started the mission were carrying between 165-200 lbs. of sh_t. They were capable of throwing down something fierce if needed.

If you want some insane stuff, just read up on Najaf (this is where Travis Haley gained some of his reputation/fame).

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 12:08 PM #88
      Love watching those types of videos. Great to see our brave men in real life action.

Travis was a camper? Looked like they were at a shooting booth at the carnival.
      Aaron

19. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 12:19 PM #89
      Reading the article it sounds much different than I expected. I was envisioning something like the final scene from 9th company.
      Here's a good example of what real house clearing is like. In my opinoin this is THE most intense house clearing video online and it captures a whole lot of real emotion from the people involved.

Not many mag dumps as you can see. Ammo conservation is the key.

obin

Vehicles
      2012 Chevy Volt, 2010 Legacy Limited,
      05-02-2012 01:51 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      Here's a good example of what real house clearing is like. In my opinoin this is THE most intense house clearing video online and it captures a whole lot of real emotion from the people involved.

Not many mag dumps as you can see. Ammo conservation is the key.

obin
      Does this guy almost shoot himself in the foot as they exit the house?

21. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:03 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by John A View Post
      Does this guy almost shoot himself in the foot as they exit the house?
      Yeah it looks like he was not on safe when running out of the building.

obin

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      05-02-2012 05:14 PM #92
      This is my safety, sir. Finger off the trigger.

23. 05-02-2012 05:28 PM #93
      Best thing about the SF pic is multicam, multicam, tactical grey long sleeve, multicam.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-02-2012 05:48 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      Best thing about the SF pic is multicam, multicam, tactical grey long sleeve, multicam.
      The guy in grey looks like an interpreter... Probably not

Oh yeah, multi-cam isn't cool anymore - regular Army and even AF wear it in Afghanistan nowadays. I'm sure all those fancy "tier one" units have moved on to some other obscure pattern* so they can stand out when some photog snaps a few pics.

*In a uniform made by Arc'teryx - you know, the $500 pants and $350 shirt.

25. 05-02-2012 08:11 PM #95
      Multicam, the Army's big secret.

"You can wear it in Afghanistan...but you can't wear it stateside. Heck you can't wear it going to Afghanistan, or coming from Afghanistan. You can't wear it while on leave from Afghanistan, nor in any countries bordering Afghanistan..."

F_cking idiots.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      05-02-2012 08:59 PM #96
      Multicam, the Army's big secret.

"You can wear it in Afghanistan...but you can't wear it stateside. Heck you can't wear it going to Afghanistan, or coming from Afghanistan. You can't wear it while on leave from Afghanistan, nor in any countries bordering Afghanistan..."

F_cking idiots.
      Can't wear them stateside? I have seen them stateside.

27. 05-02-2012 09:34 PM #97
      Well, I sure hope they've changed their restrictions then. For a while, only 10th mountain and some of the other units who were testing the pattern were wearing it stateside.

When Big A authorized the wear...originally they wanted no one to be seen in them outside of Afghanistan. It was not authorized garrison wear or anything. As if they didn't want to admit that ACU was sh_t and Multicam was better. Of course they've already discussed finding another new uniform (ie. still ignoring proper Multicam use?).

The original issue orders were obnoxious. You couldn't even put Multicam on if you were boarding a freakin' plane going to Afghanistan. You HAD to wait until you hit the ground. I'm glad to see some people or units have come to their senses.

PS: This was basic troops, I know Special Operations Community guys had been wearing it for a while.

28. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 11:02 PM #98
      The original issue orders were obnoxious. You couldn't even put Multicam on if you were boarding a freakin' plane going to Afghanistan. You HAD to wait until you hit the ground. I'm glad to see some people or units have come to their senses.

PS: This was basic troops, I know Special Operations Community guys had been wearing it for a while.
      the Navy had the same stupid set of rules for our NWU uniform. It took a while before you were allowed to be seen in public wearing it. You could be written up simply by stopping at a store to get a bottle of soda while wearing NWUs. You had to bring extra clothes to work just so ou could change out of your NWUs and pick up a take out order. all this for a uniform designed to hide STAINS and not a person in a combat environment.

the new Navy camo is WAY better. It replaces the woodland pattern camo. at least it is real camo.

obin

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 08:56 AM #99
      Not sure why multi cam was so guarded. Looks just like the old normal camo with maybe a different set of colors. Glad they spent the time developing digi cam so they could go back to vietnam era camo patterns.

Never understood why the Navy needed camo uniforms though. Navy seals, sure. Rest of the navy??? What like the enemy sees a battle ship and is like, "Well there is a huge battle ship but at least there is no one on it. We have nothing to worry about." The only people interacting with the person wearing the camo on a ship is other shipmates. I would think it better to have dayglo orange uniforms to help with identification of a person versus a metal i-beam.
      Aaron

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-03-2012 09:08 AM #100
      Never understood why the Navy needed camo uniforms though. Navy seals, sure. Rest of the navy??? What like the enemy sees a battle ship and is like, "Well there is a huge battle ship but at least there is no one on it. We have nothing to worry about." The only people interacting with the person wearing the camo on a ship is other shipmates. I would think it better to have dayglo orange uniforms to help with identification of a person versus a metal i-beam.
      There are plenty of sailors that are deployed down range that need proper cammo... There's organizational kit and the aquaflauge...

Organizational:
      SEABEES
      Intel folks
      Corpsman
      Individual Augmentees
      Aviators working with groundpounders
      etc
      and so on

The fancy aquaflauge is so your regular sailor could:
      a. Get rid of those ridiculous janitor oufits
      b. Feel cool because everyone else is getting cool cammies
      c. Not have to worry about pressing uniforms or shining boots (assuming they have the 'suede' boots)
      d. Not have to worry about every speck of dirt and grease sticking out
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 05-03-2012 at 09:12 AM.

31. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 10:03 AM #101
      There are tens of thousands of us that have been in the Navy for years yet have either never been on a ship or have only been on for a short while. I am an example. Aircraft only go to ships when necessary and the rest of the time they are ashore. It is much easier to take care of them when you have a lot of resources nearby. On a ship you don't have what you need to properly do long term and heavy duty maintenance on an aircraft.

Most of Naval Aviation is ashore at any given moment. When we are forward deployed we are still ashore except for those on CVNs and amphibs. So when operating in a forward area you need cammies. It also helps to make you blend in with the people around you. That way an insurgent or sniper doesn't say "hey kill the guys with the bright uniforms and they can't fly their airplanes."

Edit: here's a prime example of yours truly relaxing at Camp Slayer in Iraq (and NOT working on airplanes). I gotta blend in with the crowd and not make myself a target to the bad guys.

Navy? Yes. Army combat uniform? Yes. Looks like a soldier from a distance? Yes. Draws attention to our presence? No.

obin
      Last edited by Obin Robinson; 05-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.

32. 05-03-2012 01:48 PM #102
      Not sure why multi cam was so guarded. Looks just like the old normal camo with maybe a different set of colors. Glad they spent the time developing digi cam so they could go back to vietnam era camo patterns.

Multicam was not guarded for secrecy...it was guarded because it beat the piss out of ACU in every test trial when they were choosing new camo. The ACU got chosen on simple budget premises, and some idiot decisions.

Admitting that using Multicam is about 164x better than the nonsense ACU's is basically admitting they were sh_t stupid to start with.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 07:07 PM #103
      Did not really think through the entire naval force. I was stupidly just thinking about the sailors on ships.

So does everyone have the same camo now? Does every branch use multicam?
      Aaron

34. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 08:24 PM #104
      Did not really think through the entire naval force. I was stupidly just thinking about the sailors on ships.

So does everyone have the same camo now? Does every branch use multicam?
      Everyone is using whatever the hell. It is a big mess in my opinion. If I ran the show I would have every branch of the military with different dress uniforms for heritage purposes. Other than that there would be a forest pattern, a desert pattern, and an arctic pattern for all branches of the military and the only differences would be rank and insignia patches. If you go to a US military base on foreign soil you can see no less than 7 completely different camo patterns all in the same day. What a waste of taxpayer money IMHO.

obin

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      05-04-2012 01:19 AM #105
      So... You want it like the old days?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast