Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 40 of 40

    Thread: Suggest .22LR Pistol (No wheel guns)

    1. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast FL
      Posts
      30,208
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      05-09-2012 08:20 PM #26
      Way out of your budget but here are a couple of nice .22s. Also way too collectible to take out shooting at woodchucks (or even paper targets).




    2. Member Honda_Appliance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2000
      Location
      Niagara Frontier, USA
      Posts
      7,135
      Vehicles
      K24, R18, HRX217 & FG110
      05-10-2012 05:30 PM #27


      I will be hitting the "buy now" button on gunbroker the instant after I get my permit in the mail.

    3. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,451
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-11-2012 01:39 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by AutobahnTDI View Post


      I will be hitting the "buy now" button on gunbroker the instant after I get my permit in the mail.
      I have an SR-22. I've put about 2500 rounds downrange with it, and I love it. I was torn between the SR-22 and the p22q by Walther, and I'm extremely happy with my choice of the Ruger.

      I'm a big .22 kinda guy. I have the mKII, and a couple other .22 weapons and the SR-22 is my new fav.

      I'm one who likes the .22 on my hip better then the .45 in my safe - and I find the SR-22 is a great carry. With CCI stingers and good shot placement, I don't feel under-armed.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    4. Member GrkPranksta69's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2009
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,999
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta, 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD
      05-11-2012 04:38 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      I'm one who likes the .22 on my hip better then the .45 in my safe - and I find the SR-22 is a great carry. With CCI stingers and good shot placement, I don't feel under-armed.
      Wow, not knocking you down but holy **** sir. I know I couldn't do a .22 for a CCW even though it is better than a sharp stick. Why not have anything else lightweight in a bigger caliber such as the P3AT or a LCP?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.

    5. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,451
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-11-2012 06:24 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GrkPranksta69 View Post
      Wow, not knocking you down but holy **** sir. I know I couldn't do a .22 for a CCW even though it is better than a sharp stick. Why not have anything else lightweight in a bigger caliber such as the P3AT or a LCP?
      Actually, an LCP is next on my "to buy" list, and I have a PPK with a very nice holster I carry on occasion. My big thing here is weather.

      I can empty a clip (10 rounds) very quickly in a 2" group. I think I'll get the job done. Pop one in the head for good measure. Plenty of people are killed every year by a .22. The human body is so fragile, I've seen cases of people dying from getting bonked on the head from falling objects.

      However, I do know where you're coming from. I was the same way for a long time. I have a tricked out XD-9 with all the goodies I carried for years, and if I'm wearing clothing that can conceal the gun comfortably I still carry that when weather permits (read winter). I used to carry it exclusively.

      Then, I killed a deer with .22. Nice 8 pointer. I had my Ruger 10/22 out playing in the brush, plinking at birds and stuff when he walked up. I debated taking the shot, as I have all the hunting licenses but I'm not really a deer hunter. Plus, underkill is a scary thing - no need to make an animal suffer. I had a full 50 round banana mag in my Ruger, so I knew I could get the job done quickly.

      I shot twice in the lung area - I've been told that's where to aim - he ran maybe 5 paces and fell. I was using CCI stingers, a "varmit" .22 round.

      Our summers top 110 degrees with crazy humidity. The SR-22 is light and very easy to conceal. I feel confident enough in myself (I shoot IDPA) to take proper aim and get the necessary shot placement for a quick kill with a .22 if the need should ever arise, and I can actually conceal it in the summer.

      Thus is my decision to carry a .22. I can conceal it with minimal clothing on, and have little doubt about taking care of business.

      That's why I always say "I prefer the .22 on my hip over the 9 on the nightstand."

      Let's see what happens when the wife "oks" my next pistol purchase.
      Last edited by cryption; 05-11-2012 at 06:26 PM.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    6. Member GrkPranksta69's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2009
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,999
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta, 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD
      05-11-2012 07:04 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      Actually, an LCP is next on my "to buy" list, and I have a PPK with a very nice holster I carry on occasion. My big thing here is weather.

      I can empty a clip (10 rounds) very quickly in a 2" group. I think I'll get the job done. Pop one in the head for good measure. Plenty of people are killed every year by a .22. The human body is so fragile, I've seen cases of people dying from getting bonked on the head from falling objects..
      Oh yeah there's no doubt that .22 is a lethal round. I had a friend try to tell me that he wouldn't mind being hit by one from 75 ft away thinking that it was a BB or something. He found it so hard to believe that it has the ability to kill.

      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      However, I do know where you're coming from. I was the same way for a long time. I have a tricked out XD-9 with all the goodies I carried for years, and if I'm wearing clothing that can conceal the gun comfortably I still carry that when weather permits (read winter). I used to carry it exclusively.
      How do you like the XD-9? Recommend it or?

      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      Then, I killed a deer with .22. Nice 8 pointer. I had my Ruger 10/22 out playing in the brush, plinking at birds and stuff when he walked up. I debated taking the shot, as I have all the hunting licenses but I'm not really a deer hunter. Plus, underkill is a scary thing - no need to make an animal suffer. I had a full 50 round banana mag in my Ruger, so I knew I could get the job done quickly.

      I shot twice in the lung area - I've been told that's where to aim - he ran maybe 5 paces and fell. I was using CCI stingers, a "varmint" .22 round.
      I love using Stingers in any of my .22s such a nice round.


      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      Our summers top 110 degrees with crazy humidity. The SR-22 is light and very easy to conceal. I feel confident enough in myself (I shoot IDPA) to take proper aim and get the necessary shot placement for a quick kill with a .22 if the need should ever arise, and I can actually conceal it in the summer.

      Thus is my decision to carry a .22. I can conceal it with minimal clothing on, and have little doubt about taking care of business.

      That's why I always say "I prefer the .22 on my hip over the 9 on the nightstand."
      I feel you on the heat, we're similar in temps except we top off at low 100s. Makes much more sense now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.

    7. Member cryption's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2006
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      3,451
      Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-11-2012 07:19 PM #32
      I love the XD. When I turned 21 I bought my first pistol, a Sig Sauer P225. One of the old German Police ones. Since then I've been hooked and went through 14 guns by my 22nd birthday, mostly trades on my local CHL forums or in my gun club.

      My first XD was an XD-40 service model. The 4", fresh out of the box. I traded a Kahr PM9 with 4 mags for it new in box. It instantly fit me. I love the grip and trigger safeties, and it's one of the best feeling "out of the box" guns I'd shot under $700.

      I have a bad habit of getting rid of guns that I can't conceal easily, so I traded it for a West German Walther PPK.

      I had an XD void. Every time I went to the range something was missing - and I needed that XD. So, I went to my local gun shop and picked up an XD-9sc. It's a nice size 9mm, and with the extended mag feels like a full size. I put Trijicon night sights, a nice slip-on grip, and a Springer Precision trigger kit. It's the one gun I'll NEVER trade or get rid of, and I'm still always on the trade.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

    8. Member GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      12,484
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, The Daihatsu Rocky from Jurassic Park
      05-12-2012 06:33 PM #33
      Still going to buy a .22 pistol. Just haven't done it yet.

      Leaning heavily towards a Mosquito. Checked one out and handled it at Gander Mtn the other day. The grip was nicely sized for my hand, I liked the overall feel of the pistol, and it looks pretty badass too.

      I also handled the MKIII but I found the grip a little small and I thought it felt a tad front-heavy. It also doesn't look as cool as the Mosquito
      I'm a Bedwetta until I buy a Beretta

    9. Member GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      12,484
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, The Daihatsu Rocky from Jurassic Park
      06-05-2012 08:28 PM #34
      Just an update on this...

      Saw a lightly used Walther SR22 at Gander Mountain for sale for $209. Alllllmoooost bought it. Going to go back Saturday and if they still have it, I'm getting it.
      I'm a Bedwetta until I buy a Beretta

    10. Member Honda_Appliance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2000
      Location
      Niagara Frontier, USA
      Posts
      7,135
      Vehicles
      K24, R18, HRX217 & FG110
      06-05-2012 08:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Just an update on this...

      Saw a lightly used Walther SR22 at Gander Mountain for sale for $209. Alllllmoooost bought it. Going to go back Saturday and if they still have it, I'm getting it.
      Is that like a Walter P22 and Ruger SR22 combined into one?

    11. Member GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      12,484
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, The Daihatsu Rocky from Jurassic Park
      06-05-2012 08:45 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by AutobahnTDI View Post
      Is that like a Walter P22 and Ruger SR22 combined into one?
      Whatever, it was the black one
      I'm a Bedwetta until I buy a Beretta

    12. Banned sirswank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2003
      Location
      RI
      Posts
      7,048
      Vehicles
      '07 Jetta 2.0t
      06-14-2012 04:17 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by gotta_jet View Post
      I'd stay away from the Umarex stuff.
      does that include the new-ish Colt 1911 .22LR?

    13. 06-24-2012 01:12 AM #38
      Picking up a Flat Dark Earth Sig Mosquito tomorrow, with the threaded barrel. Barely used, $200. It's not on the top of my list but I don't think it can be beat for the price.

    14. Member GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      12,484
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, The Daihatsu Rocky from Jurassic Park
      06-24-2012 02:58 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post
      Picking up a Flat Dark Earth Sig Mosquito tomorrow, with the threaded barrel. Barely used, $200. It's not on the top of my list but I don't think it can be beat for the price.
      Post pics when you get it. Sounds like a cool color!
      I'm a Bedwetta until I buy a Beretta

    15. 06-29-2012 05:41 PM #40
      No pics yet, but it looks exactly like this one:



      As expected, ran CCI tactical rounds flawlessly. Fun little gun for sure.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •