Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passat I- 5 resale value?

Vehicles
      2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT, 2014 Mazda 3i GT
      03-29-2012 11:24 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

2. 03-29-2012 12:35 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by MasVW11 View Post
      Sigh....I wasnt worried about it before, and Im not remotely surprised the 2.5 is the base engine in at least 2013 models....folks on this forum who seem to know have stated its 2015. 2014 at the earliest...I can't see them offering a fourth engine which gets the same HP/torque as the 2.5 but fuel economy closer to the TDI any more than it makes sense to have the 2.0 TSI and the 2.5 available with the same fuel economy and 30 HP difference.

As far as rumors go, it never made sense to me why you'd tool a factory, solve the bugs, and then in only the second year swap out the engine.....better to cut the price on the TDI and make more of them to handle the fuel economy competition.

AV...as I suggested before, you should drive the 2012 NA Passat...and compare it to a Camry....if there's no twincharging in the TSI, Ill bet the 2.5 is equally spirited as the 1.8....as Wagon 05 says, Jeremy above, and I've said before, and Motor Trend has said (the 2.5 won the COTY award), the 2.5 is well executed in the Passat....but then again, maybe that's a bad idea, as your mind is already fully closed on the I-5.....keep on dreaming of your future 1.8...I'm enjoying my Passat tremendously!
      Yes - if you are worried about perception for resale then it is an issue for you. BUT - if YOU want to be satisfied - drive the 2.5 and decide if it is right for you. Having had the prior gen 1.8 T in a Passat (this is my 5th Passat , the 2.0 WAY better than the 1.8) I can tell you 1.8 wasn't any better than the 2.5. I am still completely amazed at this engine - I was doubting it but after I drove it (even picked it against TDi/DSG combo) I quickly was convinced. I really expected it to be a dog but it is a great match for this car. Will you burn from a dead start - no, but a very, very driveable engine.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC 6-spd
      03-30-2012 12:32 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Wagon05 View Post
      Yes - if you are worried about perception for resale then it is an issue for you. BUT - if YOU want to be satisfied - drive the 2.5 and decide if it is right for you. Having had the prior gen 1.8 T in a Passat (this is my 5th Passat , the 2.0 WAY better than the 1.8) I can tell you 1.8 wasn't any better than the 2.5.
      If they actually put the 1.8T in this car, it has nothing to do with the old 1.8T. I am hoping they will put the version that has 235lb-ft of torque. It has significantly more oomph than the old 1.8T (166 lf-ft) and it is more efficient to boot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12