Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Skrillex?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      03-20-2012 09:02 AM #106
      this is the dub i listen to.... haters stay away!

1. Professor Green - Before I die (Messiah dubstep Remix)

2. Mt Eden Dubstep - Still Alive

3. Gemini - Vision

4. Camo & Krooked - The Lesson (Ft. Skittles)

5. Flux Pavilion - Lines In Wax (feat. Foreign Beggars)

6. M.I.A. - Internet Connection (Flux Pavilion Remix)
      http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...Ti4TOQNou8</a>

7. DJ Fresh - Louder (Doctor P & Flux Pavilion Remix) - This is probably my all time favorite.

8. DJ Fresh - Gold Dust (Flux Pavilion Remix) - This is the very first dubstep song i listened to, that got me hooked.

9. Torus - Wraith - This might make a few people lose brain cells. this is a bit hardcore.

10. Muse - Knights of Cydonia (Nostalgia Dubstep Remix)

11. Flux Pavilion - Bass Cannon

my taste is different

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      03-20-2012 09:05 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      my taste is different
      You mean the same as every 16 year old "raver"?

Skrillex is scene kid brostep garbage.

Real dubstep, get into it.

flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 09:20 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI 4 ME View Post

Totally agree (although i really care for any of the artists you listed, except for Pendulum). No one is forcing people to listen to it. If people think it's crap then that is their opinion. I'm not a fan of Scrillex but am a huge fan of dubstep. I dont like Scrillex's brand of dubstep just so random and annoying. I do however, respect that he was able to make it really big before any of the boys back in Croydon (who invented this type of bass music) we able to. He's put dubstep on the map.

For those of you who are not a fan of dubstep i'd recommend you give a listen to any of the following DJs/producers:

DJ Youngsta, J:Kenzo, Digital Mystikz/Horsepower Productions (the originators of Dubstep), Icicle, Proxima, N-Type, Distance, Mala, VIVEK and Plastician.

These guys are doing proper dubstep, how it was intended from it's origin.

03-20-2012 09:22 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by zaYG View Post

Skrillex is scene kid brostep VW Leghumping garbage.

[video=youtube;WwiaGzwCWn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwiaGzwCWn4[/video

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 09:55 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Pretty much that.

Vehicles
      2 57 Bel Airs 65 Corvair 66 SS396 68 Dart 73 Vette 86 Golf 97 GTI 99/04 Neons & a truck
      03-20-2012 09:55 AM #111
      OK curiosity overwhelmed me, so I listened to a few of these songs that were posted in here. My impression- sounds like someone drank a bottle of Tussin before attempting to remix Massive Attack using ca. 1999 Fruity Loops software.

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      03-20-2012 10:12 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Abstract paintings aren't art.

It's just splatters on canvas or something obscure that I don't understand.
      NO ITS NOT MUSIC

its a bunch of sounds thrown together with a computer as most music is these days

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS, 2013 Rogue, and some running shoes
      03-20-2012 10:19 AM #113
      Skrillex is too mainstream/poppy sounding. I prefer Benga, Caspa, Massive Attack, Rusko....

He looks like an ugly girl too.........
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

Vehicles
      2001 Passat Wagon
      03-20-2012 10:27 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      NO ITS NOT MUSIC
      I'd like to hear, in your own words, the definition of music.
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      I like grocery getters.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      03-20-2012 10:45 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      I'd like to hear, in your own words, the definition of music.
      As much as I dislike Tool, Skrillex, Barry Manilow, Disturbed, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc., even I agree that they are *cough* music.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 10:47 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      NO ITS NOT MUSIC

its a bunch of sounds thrown together with a computer as most music is these days
      It's music, just really ****ty music.

And there is nothing wrong with computer generated music. I can show you tons of computer generated music that is much better than anything played on the radio today made with "real" instruments.

It takes tons of talent as well...unless you can easily figure out how to use any of the software that is used. Also, I do believe the skills of composing still are in effect.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      03-20-2012 12:10 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post

Not even 30 seconds in I wanted to stick an ice pick in my ear!

Serious question, why is the majority of this stuff a remix?

I don't mind electronic music, but I'd rather listen to actual music than a repetitive bass thump.

Try this.

Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-20-2012 12:25 PM #118
      It's music, just really ****ty music.

And there is nothing wrong with computer generated music. I can show you tons of computer generated music that is much better than anything played on the radio today made with "real" instruments.

It takes tons of talent as well...unless you can easily figure out how to use any of the software that is used. Also, I do believe the skills of composing still are in effect.
      Some CG music is decent and cool. And we've heard a ton of it through movie soundtracks.

However, a lot of techno/dubstep (the stuff that isn't wubwub) isn't difficult in the grand scheme of things. It's patterns repeating over and over. Similar to traditional music, however, it's using a computer to loop versus a human playing. You find a beat and rhythm that sounds good, and copy & paste it. Then you find another rhythm that goes with your current beat. Repeat until you've layered about 10 different sounds that runs for about 4 minutes. End song.

It's easier to manipulate sound with computers than it is with humans. To me, nothing will sound better than real instruments.

Personally, a true musician is one who can play music without the aid of technology. Music is created by your breath or your hands, from an instrument that you control. Not from diodes, chips, or algorithms. Music came from somewhere, and it didn't come from an app called Garage Band.

I read an article a while ago that tackled the "new" composers, and how the music was being rejected by "the establishment" because the new music is throwing off the time standards.
      ITT: People who ask for advice and completely ignore it.
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      03-20-2012 12:39 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      IDK if he has gotten better, but his earlier live sets were HORRID! Couldn't mix for isht, tried to let ableton live do it and somehow f'd that up too.
      He's gotten much better. I've seen him twice now and his second set was up there with the best I've seen. Porter Robinson still stole the show, but either way

I've got some mixes on my SoundCloud if anyone cares. All can be downloaded. New one going up shortly. http://soundcloud.com/tyler-anastasi

I enjoy bass music. That's what I like to call it. Whether that be dub, drum and bass, prog-house, grime, whatever, I don't care. If it gets me wanting to dance, and have a good time, I'm down for it. Skrillex is alright, but there are tremendous amounts of talented producers out there these days that most people overlook because its not getting 40million views on YouTube. It's a good time for people who actually like EDM, as opposed to those following the trends.
      Last edited by pentaxshooter; 03-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      03-20-2012 12:55 PM #120

Skrillex is scene kid brostep garbage.

I got 2 min. into this and kept wondering when it was going to get past the intro. How the hell do you call this crap music???
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

03-20-2012 01:14 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      I got 2 min. into this and kept wondering when it was going to get past the intro. How the hell do you call this crap music???
      Yeah that one is not my taste either... But to each his own.

Here are a few of my favourites right now:

Proxima - Lie Detection (Toast MC on the mic)

J:Kenzo - The Roteks (Toast MC on the mic)

The reason these guys have an "MC" on the mic is so that their music cant get ripped. (These are ripped from a radio show)

03-20-2012 01:18 PM #122
      Not even 30 seconds in I wanted to stick an ice pick in my ear!
      That's why you could never be a Juggalo. If you were, you'd want to jam an ice pick in someone else's ear.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

18. Member
      03-20-2012 01:20 PM #123

Isn't music a form of art, and art a form of expression. If the person(s) creating this are expressing themselves (whether they're expressing moods, ideas, or whatever is irrelevant) in the form of sounds then that's the definition of music.

Personally I had never heard of dubstep until a couple of months ago and although I had heard some of it (it wasn't my cup of tea) I didn't know it had a name or was that big. A friend of mine took me to a concert and I've enjoyed it ever since. Skrillex is OK, some of it I like & some of it I don't, but it's not music that I can listen to while say...cleaning the dishes, or typing a report.

The dubstep that zaYG posted is good for background music at a get together of sorts. It's soft enough to not be overpowering, relaxing enough to not be obnoxious, and repetitive enough that it doesn't distract you from the conversation or the games or whatever you're doing. The Skrillex form of dubstep on the other hand is great for clubs, or working out, or something higher energy.

I find it interesting that dubstep is so controversial. They aren't advocating violence or anything along those lines. If you don't like it, don't listen to it

Vehicles
      '11 tundra, '03 sv1000, 14 grom
      03-20-2012 01:27 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      ive been listening to dubstep for a few years now, before he becama popular.
      dubstep=hipster?

i like ???step. It's not the same old d&b or jungle or vocal trans that we've been hearing for 15 years
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 01:28 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Some CG music is decent and cool. And we've heard a ton of it through movie soundtracks.

However, a lot of techno/dubstep (the stuff that isn't wubwub) isn't difficult in the grand scheme of things. It's patterns repeating over and over. Similar to traditional music, however, it's using a computer to loop versus a human playing. You find a beat and rhythm that sounds good, and copy & paste it. Then you find another rhythm that goes with your current beat. Repeat until you've layered about 10 different sounds that runs for about 4 minutes. End song.
      Still takes talent. You still have to learn to compose music and understand music theory. Harmonies and melodies and complexities don't just create themselves. And teaching me how to use a program to make the music can definitely get me to make a song based on the "rules", but it won't help me create a song that is actually good.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 01:29 PM #126
      Someone needs a longer attention span. Not all music has to be "in your face" and easy to figure out. I guess that is why everyone doesn't like fine wine either, including me.

And you need subwoofers

22. 03-20-2012 02:02 PM #127
      Not all music has to be "in your face" and easy to figure out.
      surely your joking. that was so basic and repetitive it was nothing BUT easy to figure out. there was nothing to it.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 02:06 PM #128
      Someone needs a longer attention span. Not all music has to be "in your face" and easy to figure out. I guess that is why everyone doesn't like fine wine either, including me.

And you need subwoofers
      Did you listen to the link I posted? Hardly "in your face", and certainly not easy to figure out. And what is it about a 15 second clip that's looped over and over and over that requires a longer attention span?

Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid
      Isn't music a form of art, and art a form of expression. If the person(s) creating this are expressing themselves (whether they're expressing moods, ideas, or whatever is irrelevant) in the form of sounds then that's the definition of music.
      In the broadest definition, yes. And by that definition, that would make a 3 y/o banging on a pot w/ a wooden spoon 'making music'. Just because something qualifies as 'creative expression' doesn't preclude it from being pure and utter crap.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      03-20-2012 02:17 PM #129

Try this.

Keerist, I have that on vinyl somewhere.

Vehicles
      2000 B5 Wagon, 87 Scirocco 16V, 00 GTI
      03-20-2012 02:22 PM #130
      Idem.
      Go see the Neptune Pine!
      www.getneptune.com
      "It is like an drunken anglo ultimate fighting dojo." - CBJ...
      "Hell I can't live peacefully with two bagel makers within a half kilometer of each other much less two cities." - CBJ once again!

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 02:24 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by speaker View Post
      Keerist, I have that on vinyl somewhere.
      Me too. Probably older than half of OT.

03-20-2012 02:59 PM #132
      This dude copied the Aphex Twin's.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      03-20-2012 03:32 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur the pig View Post
      You know Aphex Twin is one guy right?
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      ...stopped keeping track
      03-20-2012 03:36 PM #134
      LOl boy..you can tell who was listening to dubstep before skrillex, bysome of the songs they post. Others...not so much. That being said..there are better artist that have been in the game much longer..you just haven't heard them cause you listen to the radio lol.
      Quote Originally Posted by skin1488760
      i am a ****ing racist!

SCAMMER skin1488760 Christopher Heiser Escondido Ca951-756-5977 .http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...4-looks-SO-CALhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-intake-socal

30. Member
      03-20-2012 03:42 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur the pig View Post
      The Aphex Twin's what?

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Sonic Sedan 1.4T Manual
      03-20-2012 03:44 PM #136
      What this reminds me of:

Last edited by DustinM; 03-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.
      Offikial Minister of Bad Judgements and Floridian Truths of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      03-20-2012 03:48 PM #137
      i am a true lover of electronic music, even enjoy dubstep on occasion, and have been to many live shows (deadmau5, labor of love, david guetta, etc).

however, i cannot stand the sound of skrillex...
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      03-20-2012 03:52 PM #138
      Going to Zeds Dead tonight
      Last edited by pentaxshooter; 03-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

03-20-2012 04:01 PM #139
      I really don't have any problem with Skrillex. I'm not a fan, but I don't have all the ignorant hatred that a lot of people seem to have. I'm big on electronic music, but I'm just not a dubstep fan. It's mostly his fanbase that I have a problem with. For Example:

Last edited by SOAR; 03-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      03-20-2012 04:05 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post
      I really don't have any problem with Skrillex. I'm big on electronic music, but I'm just not a dubstep fan. The only people I have a problem with are 99% of his fans. For Example:
      Drops are to Electrobabble music what breakdowns are to metal. Okay in small doses but once it becomes the main feature of a song it's just annoying.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast