Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just made the switch from Nikon to Canon- My first day shooting with the 5D Mark 2 - Flamingo Gardens Wildlife Preserve

1. 03-19-2012 05:15 PM #1
      I just made the switch from Nikon to Canon, I bought VWolfs' old Canon 5D MkII because he bought the MkIII. I used to have a Nikon D200 before, this is my first ever photo shoot with Canon.

The pictures are taken at Flamingo Gardens Nature and Wildlife Preserve in Davie, Florida. Lenses used are the Canon 17-40 F4L and 70-200 F4L ( non IS version ).

I'm really blown away by this camera, it's a huge leap forward over my D200 setup. It sucks to have to give up Capture NX 2 for my raw processing though, but i'm getting better with Lightroom.

Let me know what ya think! I think I resized the pictures a little bit too big, i hope you are viewing these on a nice big monitor

12.This one is my favorite shot of the day:

Last edited by kepone; 03-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.

2. 03-19-2012 05:22 PM #2
      I like the first one of the peacock

3. 03-19-2012 05:24 PM #3
      dude i like these! nice job! Peacock shots are awesome- dat bokeh!

:thumbsup:

also:

4. Member
      Vehicles
      ’04 R32 - '04 GLI - ’93 Corrado
      03-19-2012 06:54 PM #4
      The ones where you nailed the focus on the eyes turned out great.

Vehicles
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 1996 GTI hoopty
      03-20-2012 12:23 AM #5
      Excellent colors, great exposure, and those buggers are sharp as proverbial razors. Very nice job.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

6. 03-20-2012 11:58 AM #6
      Thanks guys! I think i'm going to like it here in canon land

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      03-20-2012 04:19 PM #7
      great first set and nice Bokeh on many of the images. Ah, the power of "L" glass too!
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

Vehicles
      04 Passat Wagon
      03-21-2012 01:35 AM #8
      I like the 2nd Ibis picture and the Roseate Spoonbill.

The 5d2 is a great camera.
      I personally think you set your DOF a bit too shallow for some of the subjects (but thats personal preference).
      Also, with the 5d2, make sure you are using the center focus point only. It is the most sensitive one and to me the only one that works very well. (and it works great, the others kinda suck to me).

Yes I have used a 5d2 recently. This is not just coming out of my internet reading.

The colors on that camera are great, you'll love the HD video it allows you to take too.
      Good start, especially for your first try.

03-21-2012 03:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jhayesvw View Post

The 5d2 is a great camera.
      I personally think you set your DOF a bit too shallow for some of the subjects (but thats personal preference).
      Also, with the 5d2, make sure you are using the center focus point only. It is the most sensitive one and to me the only one that works very well. (and it works great, the others kinda suck to me).

Yes I have used a 5d2 recently. This is not just coming out of my internet reading.
      For the most part, I agree. I own a 1DIII, 2 5DII's and one 7D and I almost always keep the 5D's on center point (and they're my work horses, I think I'm selling my 1DIII and 7D very soon to support the new 5DIII I shouldn't be wasting my money on )

However, allowing full auto focus has been fairly impressive on the 5DII's, I just don't happen to be that trusting since I'm almost always aiming for the eyes at shallow DOF in low-light wedding type stuff. Even the 1-series I keep on single focus point for shots like that.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

03-21-2012 03:50 PM #10
      Oh, and unfortunately, I've found on my 5DII's that the only focus point that is spot on is the center point, I can't get as sharp of photos with the outer points selected That's one of my big gripes with the 5DII. I hate having to focus, then move to composition instead of compose and then change focus point (like I do with 1-series cameras)
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

11. 03-23-2012 03:36 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by jhayesvw View Post

^^^^^ I second this. I shoot a lot of stuff at shallow DOF, and any satellite AF points just can't nail focus as well as the center. Be careful recomposing at shallow DOF too. You might shift the plane of focus by accident. AF leaves a lot to be desired from someone jumping from something that WASNT the 5dc, but you'll learn how to use it and how it's effective sooner or later

12. n00b
      10-06-2012 06:13 AM #12
      HI dear gardens is most important for every society because it's a place where they go for recreation and get take exercises.Gardens well make by timber fencing and wire fencing its look great and increase greatness of garden' and also secure us from animals and other movements. !!!!!!

13. 10-06-2012 09:25 PM #13
      awesome shots

Vehicles
      Mk3 cabrio 1995 (90s yauy)
      10-08-2012 12:11 PM #14
      There is a correction you need to do when you shoot and its the exposure, all your pics look underexpose, go 1 stop or half up depending on the situation, I think you are trusting the meter in your camera and Canon its very well know for underexpose pics 1 stop.
      Also there is a way to correct the problem in the focusing, in settings go to choose focus in lens and you can go + or - untill you are happy with the focus