Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 09G Diff parts

1. 03-19-2012 05:44 PM #1
      Where can I locate new differential bearings for the 09G? Are thay available separatly or do I need to buy the diff/pinion shaft as a set. Wife's 03 NBC has a growling bearing on the drivers side right where the axleshaft leaves the trans. No metal in the pan, no slipping, and believe it or not no VB issues(yet.....). Just a loud bearing on that one side. If you stop the FT/LT tire the noise stops, if you hold the right side you can hear it. I have the trans out and split on the bench The ring and pinion look beautiful, no unsual marks or wear. The spiders look ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 03-19-2012 08:20 PM #2
      I think I found my answer.

http://www.transtar1.com/default.asp

Any other choices????

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-20-2012 09:37 AM #3
      What did you see on the side bearings and races? It doesn't have to have pits/chips to make noise, just a flat spot or a single pit can cause noise. Also, I would price out the bearings from Transtar and find out the manufacturer, you don't want to put in cheap Taiwan/China bearings and be in the same boat in 6 months. Then I would call a bearing distributor in your area and price out the same bearings made by Koyo, SKF, Timken, NSK, or INA/***. The number will be etched on the innner/outer race/s. Removing the outer race (in the case) can be a bear sometimes, but don't re-use it. You must, must, must use the new bearing and race together. Good luck!

Brad

4. 03-20-2012 04:55 PM #4
      I already tried to cross the bearings with no luck yet. They're NSK bearings.

I can reuse the races????????? whats the worst that could happen........just kidding

5. 03-31-2012 11:25 PM #5
      Set up the acct with Transtar only to discover that the parts I need aren't available, new or used.....WTH. Looks like it's time for a new trans. At least I can get a decent price now for a rebuilt unit with a warranty.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      04-01-2012 07:59 AM #6
      I mentioned that your best bet is to either buy direct replacements (not VW or necessarily Transtar) or cross-reference them to SKF, Koyo, of INA/***. You are going to need to remove the race in the case which will have the rest of the bearing info. I am surprised that the spot you saw "NSK" did not have any other numbers or letters, so the rest will be on the edge or top of the outer race. Get that info and/or the OD, ID and width in millmeters and you or I can get the right bearing quickly. These bearings are not special to transmissions so many, many vendors will have these bearings in stock. Good luck!

Brad