Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Park Pilot (parking sensors) DIY

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2009 Corvette, 2005 BMW X3, 1990 Camaro RS 5.0
      03-20-2012 06:58 AM #1
      I've decided to install the Bosch Park Pilot in the rear of my Passat myself. After doing some research
      I found these to be highly recommended and that many car manufactures use them also. As you can see from the video it's not difficult. With the exception of removing the rear bumper cover it should be easy (I hope).
      I've done my homework and I will post how it goes once I get the time to install them (maybe this weekend).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywxk...feature=relmfu
      Last edited by tonymey; 03-27-2012 at 02:58 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE, 2005 Audi A6
      03-20-2012 09:00 AM #2
      That looks pretty straight forward. Good luck.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 B7 Passat
      03-20-2012 11:56 AM #3
      That's awesome! Please do a step by step DIY

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      03-20-2012 01:41 PM #4
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      several
      03-20-2012 01:59 PM #5
      Bosch usually makes pretty reputable stuff. I would be interested in this upgrade so please report function once completed.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE V6, 06 GTI 150Km!
      03-20-2012 02:21 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by wood2012 View Post
      Bosch usually makes pretty reputable stuff. I would be interested in this upgrade so please report function once completed.
      Except coilpacks and fuel pumps!!!!

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      97 jetta gls, 12 passat tdi se 6m
      03-23-2012 10:04 AM #7
      I did little search on flebay and found tons of those sensors for about 15-50 bucks, they do same thing as factory stuff but cost waaaaaaay less and no need to rip into cars interior to run wires to the front, everything stays in the back. Only question is what is the quality of those cheap sensors?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Tungsten/Black
      03-23-2012 05:17 PM #8
      Where we can get that Bosch sensors kit?
      Cost $$?
      2004 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the 2006
      2006 VW Touareg V6 - Traded for the Tiguan
      2009 VW 2.0T Jetta Wolfsburg - traded for the Passat
      2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI SEL Premium Nav
      2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium w/rear lid spoiler

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-27-2012 04:03 PM #9
      I completed the installation of the Bosch Park Pilot and I got to say I am proud of myself. It looks good and works great. With all materials I’m guessing I spent about $200 plus about 8 hours of work which should be cut in half now that I know how to do it. The local Bosch dealer wanted $500 just to install it, now you see why I took the chance which I enjoy doing. If you going to attempt this you should be handy around a car/tools/electrical, not afraid to punch a hole in your NEW car, and above all common sense. Although I did it myself, a second person would help. That said it really was not that difficult. I did exactly how the installation video and the instructions provided. The hardest thing was to figure out how to remove the plastic bumper and route the cable. Without anything to go by it took some trial and error but I figure it out. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome and looking forward to doing the front.
      If anyone is interested in doing this mod let me know and I will be happy to assist.

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      03-27-2012 04:41 PM #10
      Looks OEM! Great job! Is this a NA Passat in Germany?
      1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2012 02:42 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubcos View Post
      Looks OEM! Great job! Is this a NA Passat in Germany?
      Yes it is an NA Passat in Germany.....

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      03-28-2012 11:47 AM #12
      Looks good.
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      05-15-2012 05:13 AM #13
      Raises hand. I'm interested in doing this!
      First point of reference, what was your source for the BOSCH unit? Cheapest I found here in the states was $260 minimum on Ebay. Also, where did you end up storing the box module in the car?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2012 10:03 AM #14
      Being station here in Germany I purchase mine from here http://www.amazon.de/Bosch-026300956...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt. Prices vary, the price listed here are in Euro, but you may be able to find them elsewhere. There are many other cheap brands out there but I thought I get them from a “Name Brand”. The module box is easily stored on the bracket behind the carpet. As I mention above, if you know your way around a car and tools it is very easy to install. Let me know if you need more info as I have pics and the know-how of removing the rear bumper.
      U.S.Army

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2012 03:24 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by tonymey View Post
      Being station here in Germany I purchase mine from here http://www.amazon.de/Bosch-026300956...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt. Prices vary, the price listed here are in Euro, but you may be able to find them elsewhere. There are many other cheap brands out there but I thought I get them from a “Name Brand”. The module box is easily stored on the bracket behind the carpet. As I mention above, if you know your way around a car and tools it is very easy to install. Let me know if you need more info as I have pics and the know-how of removing the rear bumper.
      Nice, I'm in for one! Ordered right through the amazon.de site too, shipping here to California for still less than $200.

What size hole saw did you use, 26mm?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2012 04:24 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Nice, I'm in for one! Ordered right through the amazon.de site too, shipping here to California for still less than $200.

What size hole saw did you use, 26mm?
      You need the 26mm and 35mm hole saw, DO NOT guess this, get the exact ones otherwise your hole may be too big or too small. The 35mm hole saw should have the ability to remove the drill bit once you got the hole started in the headliner, you don’t want to drill thru the roof. To remove the bumper all you need are two torx wrenches, that is it.

Measuring where the holes will go is very important ,, once you think you got it right go out and take a break and come back and check it again. Drilling the hole wrong will not be pretty.
      U.S.Army

17. Junior Member
      05-16-2012 12:26 PM #17
      I just done it to my SE without bumpers removal. I have install sensors into front and rear bumper. I got sensors for $36(front and rear). So far works as charm. The full description with pictures here http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...arking-sensors

or here http://allcontravel.blogspot.com/201...all-front.html
      Last edited by eugenesulyma; 05-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.
      2012 Passat SE 2.5l Sun&Nav, Black & Beige.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2012 02:57 PM #18
      This is a good write up for your particular sensor and you did a great job installing them. I wish I has something to go by when I started mine.
      That said, not all sensors are created the same and have different ways of being install. This thread was for the Bosch Pilot System which is in a different class than the one you installed. I had a set similar to the one you show on a different car and was not happy with them. This is why I went with the Bosch. In my opinion Bosch is a way better sensor set, from the cabling to the nice integrated LED/Alert box that looks much more OEM. Installing the Bosch system requires the removal of the bumper (which by the way seems easier to do) as shown in the video because of the way the sensor is connected to the bumper. Bottom line, there are cheaper Sensors out there but just like anything else, you get what you paid for.. Hope they work out for you..

Good job!!
      Last edited by tonymey; 05-16-2012 at 03:08 PM.
      U.S.Army

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2012 04:20 PM #19
      Hey Tonymey,

Where did you go for your paint source? Did you use spray paint or get creative with a touch-up pen? It looks ridiculously stock in the bumper, I'm still impressed.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 02:31 AM #20
      Hey Tonymey,

Where did you go for your paint source? Did you use spray paint or get creative with a touch-up pen? It looks ridiculously stock in the bumper, I'm still impressed.
      I got an exact can of spray panit for the local German Auto Shop, you may be able to find some at the VW Dealer. I first spray them with a Plastic Primer and then coated them with the White paint. Do this the day before so they dry nicely. Or better yet take them to a local paint shop and let them do it. Good luck..
      Last edited by tonymey; 05-17-2012 at 02:36 AM.
      U.S.Army

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      05-18-2012 02:22 PM #21
      Tonymey,

I just ordered the same kit from Amazon.de. Thanks for the reference. With the conversion and shipping, it is still much cheaper to get it directly from Germany. I may end up asking you questions when I get started on the install.

I spend about a month or two per year in Munich for work and it is kinda crazy when you see American cars over there. I have yet to see a Corvette or a NA Passat. How did you get those over there? I did see a newer camaro convertible last fall (around Oktoberfest time) and I thought to myself that guy must have paid a fortune to get that car over there.

Thanks,

cfo20

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2012 03:09 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by cfo20 View Post
      Tonymey,

I just ordered the same kit from Amazon.de. Thanks for the reference. With the conversion and shipping, it is still much cheaper to get it directly from Germany. I may end up asking you questions when I get started on the install.

I spend about a month or two per year in Munich for work and it is kinda crazy when you see American cars over there. I have yet to see a Corvette or a NA Passat. How did you get those over there? I did see a newer camaro convertible last fall (around Oktoberfest time) and I thought to myself that guy must have paid a fortune to get that car over there.

Thanks,

cfo20
      Good, let me know when I can help, by the way
      You need to make a trip to Kaiserlautern, Stuttgart, or Wiesbaden then you will see all the American made cars you want. These are major US Military communities with thousand of American and there big cars. My VW TDI is a nice autobhan cruzer (but loud) with my average speed between 80 and 90 mph. But I must say this " Driving a Corvette is an American Dream, Driving a Corvette in Germany is a Dream come true". 160 mph +.... legally
      U.S.Army

23. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TDI Jetta, 02 TDI Golf
      05-27-2012 04:47 PM #23
      Measuring where the holes will go is very important ,, once you think you got it right go out and take a break and come back and check it again. Drilling the hole wrong will not be pretty.
      How much, if any, guidance does the instructions give you for sensor placement? How long is the wire to the display? What is the depth of the display? Now that you have had the system for a little while, how is it working for you?

TIA
      Jim

02 TDI Golf 5M- Black w/Black- RC3+ , PP520, VNT-17, Webasto, 262K miles, 58mpg
      12 TDI Passat SE 6M- Platinum Gray w/Moonrock- 52 mpg

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2012 03:31 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
      How much, if any, guidance does the instructions give you for sensor placement? How long is the wire to the display? What is the depth of the display? Now that you have had the system for a little while, how is it working for you?

TIA
      The instruction gives you general guidance as this is a universal system for all cars. That said I took that information and looks at other systems and several DIY videos out there and came up with my measurements’. Also living in Germany I get to see the Euro Version Passat all the time so I looked at how they got it set up by the factory. (I will post my numbers soon on this site).
      The wire is plenty long for where I placed my LED/Sound indicator (on the center/rear of the headliner). The depth of the display I believe is not more that 3/4 of an inch, no problem for the headliner.
      The system is a no-brainer; it works great in all situations. As soon as I place it in reverse you hear a short beep that tells you your Park Pilot is active and from your rear view mirror you see the LED going from yellow to red and also you hear the Beeps increasing as you get nearer to the object. To me this is was/is a good investment and a must have. Here in Germany you do a lot of parallel parking in many tight spot. This is a big help and I keep wondering why VW would not offer ANY type of sensor or camera on the Passat.
      U.S.Army

25. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2012 04:47 AM #25
      Also living in Germany I get to see the Euro Version Passat all the time so I looked at how they got it set up by the factory. (I will post my numbers soon on this site).
      Yes, I'm definitely referencing your pictures for my future install Please do post the numbers, it will be quite handy. Question:
      Did you drill the bumper while mounted, or did you take it off to drill it?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 01:14 PM #26
      Bosch Park Pilot installation on 2012 Passat NA, If something does not make sense or my English grammar/spelling is not up your standard, sorry take it or leave it (in my defense I speak three different languages fluently). If you need clarification let me know and I will do my best to help you.

Note: this is the way I installed my Park Pilot; you may find a better way and if so post it on this thread. As always this is a DIY project and you take full responsibility for any damage that YOU do to your car.

READ ALL the suggestion and visualizes it first before proceeding.

If you going to attempt this you should be handy around a car/tools/electrical, not afraid to punch a hole in your NEW car, and above all common sense. Although I did it by myself a second person would help. That said it really was not that difficult. I did exactly how the installation video and the instructions provided. The hardest thing was to figure out how to remove the plastic bumper and route the cable. Without anything to go by it took some trial and error but I figure it out.

Here is my suggestion to installing the Park Pilot on your Passat.

1. Purchase the Bosch Park Pilot, I got mine through Amazon.de, they could run $160. I am not promoting Bosch and you can find dozens of Chinese systems out there much cheaper I just went with a proven German company and figure the quality would be better. You get what you paid for.

2. Read the instruction at least three times, look at the video and look at other videos on Youtube showing different ways of measuring any park sensor kit.

3. Paint the units to your car color, I got some plastic paint primer and got a can of VW candy white paint and painted them the day before I did the installation. If you are not sure just take them to a local paint shop and I’m sure they’ll do for a minimal fee.

4. Make sure you have all the tools necessary for the job. You need the 26mm and 35mm hole saw, DO NOT guess this, get the exact ones otherwise your hole may be too big or too small. The 35mm hole saw should have the ability to remove the drill bit once you got the hole started in the headliner, you don’t want to drill thru the roof. To remove the bumper all you need are two torx wrenches, that is it. And of course some pliers, screw drivers, masking tape, measuring tape ( I did it the metric systems), and a marker for other stuff.

5. Lay everything out and have a carpet or something soft on the ground so when you remove the bumper you have some soft and clean to lie in on. By all means have clean hands, a clean car and take off any rings and watch to avoid scratching any part of the car.

6. Once you have all of the above you can get started by measuring where the holes will go. (SEE Pic 2) This is very important and once you think you got it right go out, take a break and come back and check it again. Drilling holes wrong will not be pretty. You can use my measurements or your own. Run masking tape along the bumper around 56 to 59 cm from the ground.
      I came up with 116 cm across and 57 cm high. I found the center of the bumper and did 58 cm on either side of it. You should have this:

0-----------37-------------- |--------------79-------------116

So, you have a hole at 0cm a hole at 37cm a hole at 79cm and a hole at 116cm. Notice that the two holes in the center are 42cm apart and the ends are 37cm apart (as recommended in the instructions). My measurements on base on the instructions and looking at how other cars have theirs to include the EURO Passat. You will only need the flat ring as our bumpers are pretty flat. My reason for not placing the sensor more outward was to avoid too much pickup from the side of the car. The sensors pickup around 90 degrees so my placement works just fine and avoids unwanted pickup from the side. Think about it, if you place them to outward and you are in a tight parking space your sensors will pick up the car next to you and stay constantly beeping and you never know what is behind you. Now for the height, once I took the bumper off I notice we have from about 56 to 60cm to play with from the ground. I decided on 57cm. I recommend (I saw on a YouTube video) you do not use the floor up to measure, floors are crooked, and the car may be slightly off. Use something fix on the bumper. I used the chromed trimming on my SEL. From the top edge of the chrome trimming I went up 9cm on all four holes. All came out nice and even, if you don’t have the trimming use something else as a guide. DO NOT DRILL YET.

7. Removing the Bumper is very easy. Before you do any drilling make sure you are able to remove the bumper. Remove the bumper and then just hang it in place at each end to do the drilling. Make sure your clearance is correct and nothing is behind it. Using a Torx wrench remove 5 screws from the each wheel well that are attach to the bumper. Underneath the bumper there are 3 screws to remove. Now remove the taillights. The taillight is easy, there is a little door right behind them, you will see a plastic large spring loaded screw, with your hand turn it counter clockwise and remove it completely, that is it, for the electrical connection pull the RED plastic tap out and now you can remove the connector from the light. Put aside and do the other end. Notice two more screws under each light, remove them. That’s it; no more screws, now comes the pull and tug. (SEE Pic 1)Right now everything is fasten or clipped on. From the one of the wheel well start pulling on the bumper end. Believe me it comes off like a zipper. Remember it’s just plastic and has some play to it, once you get the first snap off the rest will go easy. Note: when I say clip or snap that is just my way saying how they are connected. The only place you will see an actual clip the will fall off is the ones underneath the bumper.

Replacing the bumper. This is kind of tricky but I’m sure if I could do it (3 times) you could figure it out. Clip one side first (just start it), and check the clips underneath and especially the snaps that are right where the bumper meets the trunk lid, there should be six of them. These must be seated correctly or you trunk lid will not close correctly. (SEE PIC 3).

8. Measure, install sensors, and route cables. Follow instructions from Bosch. Install control box behind the metal plate (not in front, the spring will get in the way). Run your cable from the control box through the side carpeting (lower your seat to get good access).

9. Run Cable and install LED/Alert box. Open the rear Driver side door and you need to pull apart the siding, just pull; it will snap out and snap back in once you are done. Run the cable up to the headliner and wedge it along the end of the headliner until you get to the middle. Now comes the tricky part. You will NOT be able to unclip the headliner so take a large screw driver and wedge it in the middle so you can have some room to play with. Measure where you will drill the hole as close as possible to the edge of the headliner. Using you 35mm hole saw select you location and let the fun begin. You will notice there is a plastic bracket or something that will prevent you from doing a clear cut right in the center. No problems just continue to drill and remove that piece (you may need some needle nose pliers for this). Note : you must first go through the fabric, I recommend you trace the smallest part of the LED/Alert unit on the headliner and with a knife cut around the circle. This will prevent the fabric from tearing when you use the saw. Note: the hole saw that I use can be use with or without the drill bit. I had the drill bit initially to get it going and then removed it from fear of going too far and drilling through the roof. Once the hole is completed and you gutted it out run the cable through the hole and connect it to your LED/ Alert unit. Because of the plastic bracket in the headliner I was only able to install it a certain way. Believe me you will never notice it once it’s up and running. Now adjust the cable by snuggling it along the rear headliner and out of site. Put everything back. Take a break!!!

Ok, that’s it. At most this is just a guide; you should be able to figure most of it out yourself. Good luck.
      PIC 1
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car%20hold/pic-1.jpg
      PIC 2
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car%20hold/pic-2.jpg
      PIC 3
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car%20hold/pic-3.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2489.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2506.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2497.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2500.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2499.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2518.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2519.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2520.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2521.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2522.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2524.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2525.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2527.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2528.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2530.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2531.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...d/DSCI2505.jpg
      Last edited by tonymey; 06-05-2012 at 10:28 AM.
      U.S.Army

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      05-30-2012 01:38 PM #27
      Tonymey,

Thanks for the great write-up! I am going to perform this install once my paint and 26 mm hole saw arrives!

28. Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 04:48 PM #28
      Again, incredible write up and the pictures really take it to the next level. Thanks.

Question about #9 display placement. Any thoughts on offsetting the LED display a few inches towards the passenger side (and not center), to be in line of sight when peeking over your shoulder when reversing? Is it possible to avoid the plastic tab in the liner if we do it that way?

Also, I've tried to do some research on how to remove the headliner. I think there are some screws on the "oh sh*t" handles which keep the headliner mounted, but will need to confirm. That screwdriver technique gets the job done but makes me nervous.

Question about #6 - I've read your measurement guidelines 5 times, but I can't understand the following convention:
      0-----------37-------------- (57.5|57.5) --------------79-------------116

Does zero represent far left or relative center? Or does "|" represent center? Either way, I see 6 numbers and I only have 4 sensors to install Appreciate any clarification.

Thanks for talking about sensor placement. After looking at other (non Passat) installs, I was wondering if I should place them just a little further out. I haven't seen other Euro Passats, so I'll take your word for it.

I'd offer you beers next time you're in San Jose, but you already have the good stuff there!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TDI Jetta, 02 TDI Golf
      05-30-2012 05:59 PM #29
      Excellent write-up, thank you for taking the time. Now I just need to order some sensors.. and have the car delivered.

WRITEB- I took the sensor locations to mean, 0 = far left sensor, 116 = far right sensor and | = center of the car, with 37 and 79 the respective middle sensors.

For the display, I am considering makeing a little fiberglass mounting box and putting it on the rear shelf rather than in the headliner.
      Am I correct in assuming you use the beeper more than the LED display to judge distances?
      Jim

02 TDI Golf 5M- Black w/Black- RC3+ , PP520, VNT-17, Webasto, 262K miles, 58mpg
      12 TDI Passat SE 6M- Platinum Gray w/Moonrock- 52 mpg

30. Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 06:23 PM #30
      WRITEB- I took the sensor locations to mean, 0 = far left sensor, 116 = far right sensor and | = center of the car, with 37 and 79 the respective middle sensors.
      Ah, I see. the point was to emphasize the actual *spacing* between the sensors. Got it.
      So reverse engineering the measurement, is this accurate with "x" as center?

(58cm) <------(21cm) <------- x ------> (21cm) ----------> (58cm)

31. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2012 02:36 AM #31
      Again, incredible write up and the pictures really take it to the next level. Thanks.

Question about #9 display placement. Any thoughts on offsetting the LED display a few inches towards the passenger side (and not center), to be in line of sight when peeking over your shoulder when reversing? Is it possible to avoid the plastic tab in the liner if we do it that way?

Also, I've tried to do some research on how to remove the headliner. I think there are some screws on the "oh sh*t" handles which keep the headliner mounted, but will need to confirm. That screwdriver technique gets the job done but makes me nervous.

Question about #6 - I've read your measurement guidelines 5 times, but I can't understand the following convention:
      0-----------37-------------- (57.5|57.5) --------------79-------------116

Does zero represent far left or relative center? Or does "|" represent center? Either way, I see 6 numbers and I only have 4 sensors to install Appreciate any clarification.

Thanks for talking about sensor placement. After looking at other (non Passat) installs, I was wondering if I should place them just a little further out. I haven't seen other Euro Passats, so I'll take your word for it.

I'd offer you beers next time you're in San Jose, but you already have the good stuff there!
      I see you figure out my measurement, I should have left the center numbers out. Anyway this is what I have and of course you could change it anyway you like.
      Place your LED display where ever you feel comfortable, I personally like it in the center.
      As far as removing the headliner, I would not recommend unless you know what you are doing ,, remember there is an Airbag that run along both sides.
      The screwdriver technique job is really easy and it just to give you some wiggle room to run the cable, it did no damage to my headliner.
      Good luck.

By the way I do live in Bier Heaven, and it's great. If anybody ever thinks of traveling to Europe make sure you have Germany on top of your list. Friendly people, lot's to see and do, Great Bier and food, and of course fast cars with no speed limits on most of the autobahns. (that is what the corvette is for)
      Last edited by tonymey; 05-31-2012 at 05:24 AM.
      U.S.Army

32. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2012 05:31 AM #32
      Excellent write-up, thank you for taking the time. Now I just need to order some sensors.. and have the car delivered.

For the display, I am considering makeing a little fiberglass mounting box and putting it on the rear shelf rather than in the headliner.
      Am I correct in assuming you use the beeper more than the LED display to judge distances?
      Yes you do use the beeper alot BUT the LED will start to display Yellow once it gets close to an object with no Beeps, it will not start Beeping until the RED LED are displayed this is why you would want to be able to see it also. Check the instruction for more detail.
      U.S.Army

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Audi TT Quattro Roadster, 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
      06-02-2012 04:39 PM #33
      Just ordered my kit from amazon.de and it should arrive this Wednesday. Some questions:

1) For the headliner part, are you saying just drill through the plastic bracket and remove the plastic bracket? Basically just cutting it out? I just wanted to clarify that that will not cause an issue.

2) Where did you get your hole saws? I was looking to Amazon for that as well and, of course, there are numerous ones with all different blade types. Some look really rough, so I'm just wondering what type of blade I should use for both the bumper and the headliner.

Here are the ones I'm looking at: I guess it's all about the madrel as far as if the bit is removable. What brand do you have that has the removable bit?

1) 26mm - http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Cutting-...8663157&sr=8-1 This appears to be like the one in the Bosch video.

2) 35mm - Most don't show the drill bit at all.:

http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-AV224-Master-Bimetal/dp/B001HWB01S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338664800&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-MK225-Advanced-Bi-Metal/dp/B004WRFA02/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1338664855&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D180022...664880&sr=8-21

34. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2012 12:54 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by TToplessTTs View Post
      Just ordered my kit from amazon.de and it should arrive this Wednesday. Some questions:

1) For the headliner part, are you saying just drill through the plastic bracket and remove the plastic bracket? Basically just cutting it out? I just wanted to clarify that that will not cause an issue.

2) Where did you get your hole saws? I was looking to Amazon for that as well and, of course, there are numerous ones with all different blade types. Some look really rough, so I'm just wondering what type of blade I should use for both the bumper and the headliner.

Here are the ones I'm looking at: I guess it's all about the madrel as far as if the bit is removable. What brand do you have that has the removable bit?

1) 26mm - http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Cutting-...8663157&sr=8-1 This appears to be like the one in the Bosch video.

2) 35mm - Most don't show the drill bit at all.:

http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-AV224-Master-Bimetal/dp/B001HWB01S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338664800&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-MK225-Advanced-Bi-Metal/dp/B004WRFA02/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1338664855&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D180022...664880&sr=8-21
      I was foolish to think that I could get these metric diameters at the local store. the 35mm is doable via equivalent imperial size, but the 26mm is the deal breaker. Back to Amazon...

I found the following available on amazon.com
      * Amico 26mm Black Silver Tone Twist Drill Bit Hole Saw Tool with Hex Wrench, and
      * Amico Professional Metal Twist Dirll Bit Hole Saw Cutter 35mm.
      - with a ridiculous delivery estimated time from Amazon.com

So I canceled it after finding the hole saws I needed on Ebay with removable drill bits for under $19 shipped. We're only cutting through plastic and whatever the headliner is made of, so no need for any high end blades. And the 26mm doesn't seem to need a removable bit anyway.

I also looked to see if shipping the hole saws through amazon.de would have been faster, but the shipping costs are all of a sudden prohibitive for the drill bits. Strange, that the shipping was so reasonable on the Bosch unit, but drill bits are off the charts.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2012 02:16 PM #35
      Lucky for me I live in a metric world here so finding the correct hole saw was not a problem.
      The 26mm for the bumper can be use with the drill bit in place, the 35mm is the one you will use for the LED/Alert display. If you do mount in on the headliner as I did I recommend using a hole saw that you can remove the drill bit as I show here.

If you center the LED/Alert box in the headliner you will find that plastic bracket in the way, I just continued cutting with the hole saw and removed a portion of it. The LED/Alert box fit just find and nothing happen to the liner, still holds up as normal.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...111_resize.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54591185/car...109_resize.jpg
      Last edited by tonymey; 06-03-2012 at 02:24 PM.
      U.S.Army

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast