Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bosch Park Pilot (parking sensors) DIY

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      06-04-2012 08:04 PM #36
      First, a super huge thank you to Tonymey for his help with this. Follow his directions, they are great! Just a few commments on the install:

- You can use a 1" (25 mm) hole saw too. The fit is a little tighter, but it works. Also, the 35 mm is a 1 3/8", so you can find that one in the states easily too. I got impatient waiting for my 26 mm hole saw, so I used the 25 mm I found at work and it was fine. If/when my 26 mm arrives, PM me if you want it as I will have no use for it

- The display/beeper does not "beep" until it the system is calibrated. Don't think you have a defective beeper like I did. I didn't want to install it in the headliner if it didn't work, so I calibrated the system first and then stuck it up in the headliner just like Tonymey did in his photos.

- The Bosch sensors are MUCH higher quality than the chinese sensors on ebay. I installed two chinese kits before and they were junk compared to this Bosch kit. www.Amazon.de cost for me was $191 with shipping, then $29 for paint (shipped) and $7 for clear coat (local).

- I used Tonymey's measurements and they worked good. The pickup on the sensors is spot on with these locations as well. Like Tonymey said, measure a few times before drilling!

- The reverse wire is easy to find, just check the wires at your reverse bulb(s). I cannot 100% recall, but I think it was blue with an orange stripe. The ground is brown and is clearly obvious once you pull back the carpet on the driver's side of the trunk.

- It helps to have a buddy (or wife in my case) to help hold the bumper when re-installing. I used an ice pick to lift up the six small clips that Tonymey mentioned when re-installing the bumper. Slide the pick under the clip attached to the car and slide the bumper clip right under it. I went from right to left and the bumper fit right back on perfectly.

- Good luck all with the install. If you are in the northern Atlanta area, PM me and I could help if needed.

Last edited by cfo20; 06-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      06-04-2012 08:27 PM #37
      @cfo20
      Nice job!

Good to hear about the 25mm, that should prove handy for a lot of folks. I'm still going to hold out for the drill bits I already ordered....

At least it'll give me plenty of time to measure

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06-04-2012 08:29 PM #38
      Could someone please indulge us with a Youtube video of this working in the passat?

I know about the Bosch-made video, but we need something to tide us over until all of our kit components arrive

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2009 Corvette, 2005 BMW X3, 1990 Camaro RS 5.0
      06-05-2012 09:19 AM #39
      I'm gald it worked out for you, it looks great, very OEM.
      U.S.Army

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      06-14-2012 08:58 AM #40
      My 26 mm hole saw finally arrived now that I don't need it. If anyone is interested in it, please let me know. I will give it away, just pay shipping:

Parcel post: $5, FedEx Ground: $10, FedEx standard overnight: $15, FedEx Priority overnight: $20

These costs are to the lower 48 continental United States only! I can ship to other locations, but it will cost more. Also, FedEx doesn't delivery to PO boxes, keep that in mind.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TDI Jetta, 02 TDI Golf
      06-14-2012 04:45 PM #41
      I just ordered the kit and hole saw from Amazon.de, then found out what the shipping costs were on the hole saw. It was 8 times the cost of the hole saw... I canceled that part of the order. How long are folks finding it takes for delivery? I suspect the kit is going to get here before the car does.
      Jim

02 TDI Golf 5M- Black w/Black- RC3+ , PP520, VNT-17, Webasto, 262K miles, 58mpg
      12 TDI Passat SE 6M- Platinum Gray w/Moonrock- 52 mpg

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06-14-2012 05:16 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by cfo20 View Post
      My 26 mm hole saw finally arrived now that I don't need it. If anyone is interested in it, please let me know. I will give it away, just pay shipping:

Parcel post: $5, FedEx Ground: $10, FedEx standard overnight: $15, FedEx Priority overnight: $20

These costs are to the lower 48 continental United States only! I can ship to other locations, but it will cost more. Also, FedEx doesn't delivery to PO boxes, keep that in mind.
      Tempted to take you up on that, cfo20! My damn Ebay hole saws still haven't arrived yet. The practically month long projected wait for amazon dot com hole saws are almost equivalent to this pokey Ebay shipment at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
      I just ordered the kit and hole saw from Amazon.de, then found out what the shipping costs were on the hole saw. It was 8 times the cost of the hole saw... I canceled that part of the order. How long are folks finding it takes for delivery? I suspect the kit is going to get here before the car does.
      I guess I was long winded in my update earlier. I mentioned that the amazon.de shipping is prohibitive for sure. Happy to hear that 25mm works too, but I guess I can wait a few more days to see if these danged things come in finally. Would really like to get this mod in when the opportunity strikes.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-15-2012 07:55 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      I guess I was long winded in my update earlier. I mentioned that the amazon.de shipping is prohibitive for sure. Happy to hear that 25mm works too, but I guess I can wait a few more days to see if these danged things come in finally. Would really like to get this mod in when the opportunity strikes.
      Not long winded... I did the order before I saw your post. I had read part of this thread earlier and just went straight to the Amazon.de link to order.... then I read the rest of the thread and saw your post.
      Jim

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      06-15-2012 05:49 PM #44
      Sold my 26 mm hole saw.

Keep in mind, the 25 mm (1") works, just is a tighter fit and may be a little more difficult. However, with the bumper off the car, it is easy to manipulate.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Audi TT Quattro Roadster, 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL
      06-16-2012 12:50 PM #45
      I completed the project last night. Thanks to tonymey for his complete documentation and to cfo20 whom I was contacting on a daily basis and continued to provide pointers through PM as well as offered phone assistance and even on-site assistance if had needed it. In the end the process was easier than I had expected. I think most people worry more about the bumper part, but I was more worried about the headliner part and running the wires... Clean wire running is just not something I'm good at.

Also, although I used a 1" (25mm) hole saw and it sufficed, I wish I had at least followed up with putting some thin sand paper around the hole saw to sand the hole down a little more for a more perfect fit. With the 1" saw, getting the inside connectors twisted on was a bear and the outside seems that it doesn't 100% fit flush against the bumper due to the smaller hole. It's probably 99.9% flush so not a huge deal. We also used a razor knife to trim around the inside and outside of the hole as the hole saw had left a somewhat beveled edge on both sides after drilling. We had to trim those edges off so that the rings would seat more flush and I don't think I could have gotten the twist things connected if I hadn't trimmed those edges. It was like the bumper was too thick for the two pieces to join. Again, possibly due to the 1mm smaller hole size.

Also, I had a local body shop to paint the rings and sensors and they match perfectly. In the Bosch kit that I received, they had included two sets of flat rings along with the angled rings (I think they may have left out one of the sets of angled rings in place of the second set of flat one's that I received). Anyway, I have an extra set of already painted (in platinum grey) rings if anyone is interested. Of course I don't have an extra set of sensors, but if you wanted to leave the sensors black, or paint them yourself and have the pre-painted perfect match rings, I will give them away with just shipping charges.

Also, if you're in the Atlanta area, I had Classic Collision in Duluth to do the paint work. They only charged $50 to paint all the rings and the sensors. I think I would have spent that just to buy paint and I couldn't have nearly done as good a job as they did.
      Last edited by TToplessTTs; 06-16-2012 at 12:55 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06-18-2012 03:23 AM #46
      Good Job
      U.S.Army

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2012 03:56 AM #47
      I officially joined the 'Bosch Big Boss' club today. Kudos to toneymey. Also TToplessTs, and cfo20 for some tips on the side to get me back on track. Some extra tips and anecdotes below:

In the premium SEL, the battery is in the trunk in the left side, so I did my Park Pilot install on the Right side. This caused issues with the tips from this thread. (E.g. the reverse power on the right is a blue wire with a black line, instead of a blue wire with a pinkish line on the left side).

I had to drill out the equivalent hole on the right side with the bumper removed, to make it work on the right side without adding wire.

I instead installed the control unit right below the R tail light in the trunk. (I'm going to do the high line rear camera install and the controller is supposed to go on the metal plate that tonymey originally specified.)

I drilled a hole and mounted the controller with one screw. I may go back later to clean up things and add another screw, but with the liner fabric in place, it is pretty secure already.

There is a big ground bolt on both sides, you just need to pull back the trunk liner more to see it.

Metallic colors are challenging to paint. I have a blue metallic color and it really didn't come out the way I wanted it to until I applied clear coat. If you have metallic paint, make sure you get clear coat if you want it to match properly.

I had trouble with the headliner. With a knife, I pre-cut out the fabric circle , but the rough edges of the 35mm drill bit *still* caught the fabric and muffed up the area pretty nastily. This happened *after* I took the arbor bit out, thinking the hole was started enough (it wasn't). So the saw bit caught the fabric and skipped an inch. Wasn't happy.

My drill bit allowed me to push the arbor bit quite a ways into the saw bit housing, so in retrospect, you probably don't have to remove the center bit if it doesn't project too much further than the saw bit.

Finally, don't believe popping the display unit into the headliner is as easy as the video. I basically had to go into "eff it" mode to punch that ditty up in there. The issue is that the headliner is thick and the plug mount doesn't clear the thickness of the headliner. I think Bosch would do well to create an offset plug which plugs into the back of the display unit instead of the perimeter of it.

If I did the job again, I'd probably either mount into the passenger c-pillar molding -much easier, OR, drill a huge hole and create a mount housing - possibly tilted just a little bit for better visibility. Many OEM setups are like this - and I may do this to cover up the raggedy fabric around the control unit. I ordered some Kydex sheets to see if I can come up with something interesting.

Either way, love the exterior look and the functionality. Bring on the parallel parking!

13. 06-29-2012 09:43 PM #48
      Anybody living in San Jose area who could give a hand for installing Park Pilot?

Where do you guys exactly buy paint and clear coat? I have Tungsten Silver and don't know where to buy spray paint for it.
      Last edited by jjazzman1975; 06-29-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add more commnet

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-29-2012 10:33 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by jjazzman1975 View Post
      Anybody living in San Jose area who could give a hand for installing Park Pilot?

Where do you guys exactly buy paint and clear coat? I have Tungsten Silver and don't know where to buy spray paint for it.
      I know of no one I kid. Hit me up on PM. We can coordinate, especially if you have a good place to work on this stuff with. I got my paint (both base coat and clear coat) from automotivetouchup.com. Highly recommended and matched perfectly.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07-01-2012 02:13 AM #50
      I successfully prototyped my LED housing coverplate today using a light grey kydex material which is a very decent match for the headliner. The prototype would have been perfect except for my trimming it too much to cover the full tear

I left the actual hole in the headliner the same size, but cut out quite a bit of the rear portion for better plug clearance into the headliner. This way the led display unit can still be friction mounted into the headliner without the need for adhesive on the kydex.

Kydex Thermoplastic Steel Gray 12"x9"x0.71mm against the headliner:

After meticulously cutting the hole with some nippers, LED display fits:
      (Will drill a pilot hole and carefully use the 35mm hole saw next time...)

And... started to get too fancy and cut too much width off:

Anyway, just some thoughts, in case you screw up and tear the headliner like me

16. 07-01-2012 05:59 PM #51
      Thanks for the information and offer to help.

I was about to order paint noticed there are two color codes with same name (Tungsten Silver)

Anyone know which one to choose?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      07-01-2012 06:15 PM #52

I was about to order paint noticed there are two color codes with same name (Tungsten Silver)

I suggest to check with a local body shop. I had my sensors and rings painted by a local body shop for $50. That's probably less than I would have paid for the paint alone and know I couldn't get the quality anywhere near what the guys that do it everyday can do.

The first two body shops I checked with quoted me $100. I then checked with the local VW dealership to find where they send the VW's for repair and I went to that body shop. I figured that way they are familiar with working with VW and with their colors. I don't know if that matters or not, but I figured it would be the safe way to go. Everything matches perfectly.

I told this last body shop that a body shop about 50 miles away quoted me $50, but I would rather not drive all the way over there. So I don't know if their price was really going to be $50, or if they just matched the price.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      07-01-2012 07:01 PM #53

I had the same issue with my Platinum Gray, although there are 3 codes for that color. I found the build tag in the spare tire well that had the color code for my car. Look around inside the trunk, starting with the spare time well. There should be a small tag, 3"x4" with the paint code on it. Mine was on the rear wall of the tire well and I had to about climb into the trunk to see it.
      Jim

19. 07-06-2012 05:45 PM #54
      I about to order paint (got the right code: thanks all) and wondering if I need a primer for this??

20. Member
      Vehicles
      07-06-2012 08:48 PM #55
      I about to order paint (got the right code: thanks all) and wondering if I need a primer for this??
      I think primer would be a good idea. When I ordered the paint I also ordered the plastic adhesion promoter, which is also considered a primer. Several folks have used some form of plastic adhesion promoter and seem to recommend it. My paint is due to arrive on Thursday... can't wait to get the sensors painted and installed.
      Jim

21. 07-07-2012 02:06 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
      I think primer would be a good idea. When I ordered the paint I also ordered the plastic adhesion promoter, which is also considered a primer. Several folks have used some form of plastic adhesion promoter and seem to recommend it. My paint is due to arrive on Thursday... can't wait to get the sensors painted and installed.
      I got impatient and ordered without primer. Oh well guess will have to stop by local Pep Boys to see if they carry one.

I am ordering hole saw from amazon and wait time is like 17~28 days. Is this for real?!! Anyone near by who I can borrow or buy off from?

Thanks.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      07-08-2012 05:00 PM #57
      Just pick up some grey spray primer from the local hardware store, it'll be fine. Allow for proper drying time and there's no need to get any specialized automotive primer, really.

23. 07-09-2012 11:54 AM #58
      I decided to put LED indicator on the rear bottom than rear top.

Last edited by jjazzman1975; 07-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 09:13 AM #59
      Looks good but can you see it with head rest in the way ??
      U.S.Army

25. 07-10-2012 11:30 AM #60
      can you see it with head rest in the way ??
      I don't see the whole unit but I can see the LEDs on top side easily.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 12:44 PM #61
      Looks good, I was thinking about making a fiberglass mount and putting it on the rear deck sort of like you did. I like your idea better. I am getting tired of looking around the rear headrests anyway... so they are coming out.
      Jim

27. 07-17-2012 03:12 AM #62
      I have couple questions..

1. What color is the cable I need to connect to backup light? Orange or Grey?

2. Where is the tap point for backup light? Just realized the actual backup light signal is running through left side of the trunk hinges and not sure where is a good point to strip or tap into?

3. What color is the backup light 12V?

Thanks all!

28. Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2012 10:49 PM #63
      I have couple questions..

1. What color is the cable I need to connect to backup light? Orange or Grey?
      On the drivers side of the car, it was a gray with light red (pink?) stripe.

2. Where is the tap point for backup light? Just realized the actual backup light signal is running through left side of the trunk hinges and not sure where is a good point to strip or tap into?

I followed the wire until it met the main harness behind the trim and just toward the front of the car from the grounding bolt on the rear wheel well. I connected there instead of trying to run a wire into the trunk lid.

The wire runs from the lid and stays high in the trunk until it runs almost straight down to meet the main harness. (At least the best I remember that's how it is). I tied in on the downward run.

3. What color is the backup light 12V?

Not sure I understand this question. It's a 12V connection... the color of the light is white.

Thanks all!
      See answers in quote above.

29. 09-24-2012 07:44 AM #64
      Your job is amazing, from my perspective. I have also a NA 2012 Passat running in Europe and willing to upgrade it with a parking sensors system... How have you connected it for distance vision? Did you figure out how to do it on the front bumper? I plan to do it before winter time in a German dealership or assisted by you if available (Mannheim is a very nice city, I've been there last time in 2000).
      Thank you.

30. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012VwJettaTDI/passatTDI
      11-23-2012 08:30 PM #65
      Hi ... since you guys did such a fine write up I was wondering if it would be possible to install everything without removing the bumper at all now that we know the measurements work.
      Any thoughts... TIAdvance.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      11-23-2012 08:49 PM #66
      I don't think you could get the wiring behind the bumper ran correctly without removing the bumper. Also the connectors on the inside of the bumper, that attach to the sensors, have to be twisted on. For me that was a real tight connection that had to be pressed in very hard and twisted to get the connection secured. Part of that effort may have been the fact that my holes were drilled 1mm too small.

Either way, I don't think it could be installed without removing the bumper. And although it sounds difficult, once you get into it, it is very easy. In fact, I had to remove and install it twice because I had forgotten to install the clear rubber seals around my sensors and had to remove the bumper to install those and reinstall the bumper. Literally takes about 5 minutes to remove and 5 minutes to install with my wife helping to hold one side.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      01-26-2013 09:52 AM #67
      Still a good mod for those seeking something besides the rear camera. Works great, I will not be without it.
      U.S.Army

33. 04-11-2013 08:53 PM #68
      Thanks for the info. Anyone have their hole saws to lend/sell? Does anyone know which rings to use? Would like to drop off only the ones I need to be painted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12