Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My quest for 25 mpg in the GLX

Vehicles
      03 GLI
      03-21-2012 09:19 AM #26

Call it a quarter tank left, putting me on pace for about 342 miles (23.5 MPG), which would be a personal best.

After emkaytree's post, I did ease up on the "shift at extremely low RPMs" thing a little bit this morning, but still didn't get ont it at all. Felt good to drive a little more normal. Yesterday morning I was on pace for 21 MPG, and after today's morning commute, I'm on pace for 23.5... maybe there was some merit to his statements.

Vehicles
      97 GLX, 08 Altima 2.5s, 410 dirt modified
      03-21-2012 10:09 AM #27
      I like this thread.

You do have the correct size tires, that it's not throwing your odometer off?
      Get over it.

Vehicles
      03 GLI
      03-21-2012 10:15 AM #28
      I have what owner's manual recommends, which, of the top of my head is 205/50 R15. And they're brand new, so too late to grab some 195's.

Vehicles
      03 GLI
      03-22-2012 09:48 AM #29
      Filled up today after driving 312.6 miles (had about 1/8th tank left). Took 12.259 gallons, meaning.... wait for it.... I got 25.5 MPG!

I'm guessing that I was able to cost in neutral for about 20 out of the 312 miles I went... which would account for 1-2mpg increase. The other 3-4mpg increase I'll attribute to driving it like a grandma.

I filled up with premium today, so we'll see if that helps out my numbers at all. Just ordered a battery (mine's 6 years old), plugs and wires, so they should be here in time for the next tank (which will likely be 89 octane, unless 93 yields really good results... probably going to bail on the regular gas either way from now on).

Vehicles
      00 Cabrio 97 GLX 97 Cabrio 92 GLI 83 GTI 79 Scirocco
      03-22-2012 01:56 PM #30
      I have not driven my GLX for a while, but I think I got about 23 on the highway at reasonable speed. Mine is an automatic and I run mid-grade quality gas in my VWs usually. My Cabrio with a 2.0 and 5-speed gets about 29, but I can get a bit more if I work it. They used to say to drive like there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. So much depends on how much fun you have, and the VR6 can be quite fun.

I did not see drafting as a stratgy in you posts. This can be dangerous of course, but I found that the noise coming from an open sunroof is a great tool for telling how helpful a drafting position is. I found minivans made a good helper because they seem to push a bunch of air and are easier to see past than a larger vehicle.

6. 03-22-2012 02:15 PM #31
      Good job on the increase! Coasting will do a LOT for you and keep off those brakes. A ScanGauge is $75; it'll pay for itself.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

Vehicles
      Mk3, EM1
      03-22-2012 11:38 PM #32
      I don't agree with the "coast in neutral" idea. You correlate the tachometer as a direct indication of gas being used and that's not the case. Just because it's idling at 700rpm, that doesn't mean it's using less gas than it would if it was coasting at 2500rpm.

I was taught that leaving the car in gear and staying off both the gas and brake will lead to the best fuel economy. And the reason for that is because as the car is rolling in gear, the engine shuts off the fuel injectors and you don't use any gas at all. Whereas if you're rolling in neutral, the engine is constantly sipping on fuel.

Definitely perform a tuneup. Cheapest 3 things you could do that will net the best gains are to change the spark plugs, air filter, and clean the MAF. And of course to keep driving habits in check.

I'd be interested in hearing progress updates so don't forget to be updating this thread. And remember, it's BEST TO COAST IN GEAR.

8. 03-23-2012 01:26 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      I don't agree with the "coast in neutral" idea. You correlate the tachometer as a direct indication of gas being used and that's not the case. Just because it's idling at 700rpm, that doesn't mean it's using less gas than it would if it was coasting at 2500rpm.
      x3
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

Vehicles
      1985 Vw Jetta Coupe 1.8t, 1990 Vw Golf Gls 8v, 1994 Dusty Mauve Jetta Aba
      03-23-2012 02:33 AM #34
      i love gas economy discussions. Ecomodder.com does have a lot of good threads on how to sip the gas and lots of diy ideas that are very interesting, i've tried a few of the ridiculous ones and they work. Isn't there an eco cam you can replace stock cam with to get a little better fuel economy, do a tdi 5th gear, other small tricks?

Good luck with your experiments, I'm interested.

Vehicles
      03 GLI
      03-23-2012 09:23 AM #35
      I was taught that leaving the car in gear and staying off both the gas and brake will lead to the best fuel economy. And the reason for that is because as the car is rolling in gear, the engine shuts off the fuel injectors and you don't use any gas at all. Whereas if you're rolling in neutral, the engine is constantly sipping on fuel.
      I agree and disagree. While heading up to a red light (as emkaytree had mentioned), then yes, better to coast in gear and let the engine wind you down. However... there are a few spots on my commute where if I throw it in neutral, I can roll for .8 - 1.2 miles before having to put it back in gear. If I was in gear, the engine would just slow me down after a quarter mile or so. Surely rolling at 700 rpms for a mile uses less gas than feeding the engine gas for that same distance.

Pumped about the support for this thread! I'll post a status update around lunch time. I filled up with premium and am seeing some good results...

Vehicles
      03 GLI
      03-23-2012 09:29 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshua View Post
      i love gas economy discussions. Ecomodder.com does have a lot of good threads on how to sip the gas and lots of diy ideas that are very interesting, i've tried a few of the ridiculous ones and they work. Isn't there an eco cam you can replace stock cam with to get a little better fuel economy, do a tdi 5th gear, other small tricks?

Good luck with your experiments, I'm interested.
      I wouldn't think a TDI fifth gear is a small trick! I've been meaning to check out ecomodder (previous poster has intrigued me), so I'll see what they have to offer.

Part of the point is to keep my car relatively how it is (no weight reductions, aero), and not to spend much money in order to save money, outside of regular maintenance like plugs/filter/wires.

Speaking of wires... I've realized that the wires I bought in late 2009 are pieces of sh*t. They're Xact brand, and one is arcing to the head at low RPMs, and another one is pretty loose on the spark plug. Google search yielded a LOT of bad reviews. They're under "limited lifetime warranty" from Advance, so I'll either try and get a new set, or just drop $60 on some Bosch wires I found on Amazon. Somehow I paid $120 for these current wires and I can't remember why I didn't price shop, or check reviews on the brand.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI w/445k, 2014 Jetta TDI w/Premium
      03-23-2012 01:11 PM #37
      Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by coolalex View Post
      I don't know how accurate it is, but my mfa usually says I'm getting 32 mpg while going 65.
      MFA's are usually optimistic to make a driver feel good. The only accurate way to measure MPGs is to divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons added. A cool thing about diesels is you can fill the tank right to the brim every time for a consistent measurement.

I don't agree with the "coast in neutral" idea... I was taught that leaving the car in gear and staying off both the gas and brake will lead to the best fuel economy. And the reason for that is because as the car is rolling in gear, the engine shuts off the fuel injectors and you don't use any gas at all. Whereas if you're rolling in neutral, the engine is constantly sipping on fuel.
      ^^^ THIS! If you wind up getting a ScanGaugeII, then you'll be able to prove or disprove this in your VR6 application by actually monitoring your fuel flow (I think it measures in GPH). My injectors shut off when coasting in gear. What I haven't measured is whether driving in gear on a slight downhill consumes less fuel than coasting in neutral. I just let the cruise control handle that. But I'll measure it someday now that I'm thinking of it.

Good Luck!
      .|My Jettas|Fuelly|My Articles|My YouTube|AUTObiography|15-Years of Mk3 TDI!|
      Follow My Facebook Page as I rehabilitate my 450,000-mile Mk3 Jetta TDI

13. 03-23-2012 01:27 PM #38
      This is one of those things that varies from car to car and folks like to say that all modern cars shut off fuel under decel. My 2.0 does NOT shut off fuel flow when coasting in gear. ScanGauge and UltraGauge can be set up to display instantaneous gallons per hour. It's a measure of what is actually being injected. When warmed up, my engine idles at about 0.25 gal/hour. Coasting in gear is close, but not as efficient; around 0.30 gal/hour. The car also coasts MUCH further in neutral than in gear, so it's a win-win situation.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

Vehicles
      Couple A3 Jettas, A4 Jetta, B5.5 Passat, A6 Jetta Sport
      03-23-2012 02:01 PM #39
      Swap in a 2.0, keep your VR6 to replace later. You should be able to find an 8v pretty cheap. You can drive the 2.0 as hard as you want and end up with 30+ mpg, I did it for a few years, 35 miles each way on my commute. I generally hit 90 mph for a few miles at a time and still returned 30+ mpg. 70/30 mix of highway and city.

Vehicles
      Mk4 VR6, Mk3 GLX RIP, Mk2 GLI, Mk1 Rabbit, B5 S4, 03 Mustang , 66 Nova, 65 Impala, 95 lifted Ranger
      03-23-2012 02:01 PM #40
      hmm, i have a 1995 GLX, 5spd with all options and if i drive normally (not whipping around town) my MFA registers 27mpg on 45 and 30 mph roads. i think the free flowing and air intake help a bit. I like the car btw
      VSC Tuning
      Offroad Rig
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      Plastidip the world.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-Line
      03-23-2012 05:03 PM #41
      Gotta get that Nitrogen air in tour tires and an ebay chip and the little turbine thing in the intake boot. 45mpg or none of your money back!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      AP1 S2K, 96 Jetta, 90 Silverado
      03-23-2012 05:29 PM #42
      I'm getting solid 30.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
      Those that scoff at replica wheels are 8 out of 10 times stance idiots that only wanna impress 15 year olds.

Vehicles
      03 GLI
      03-23-2012 06:03 PM #43
      Bariman82

The car also coasts MUCH further in neutral than in gear, so it's a win-win situation.
      My point exactly. I actually tested this out on an area that I can consistently coast for ~.9 miles, and in 5th gear, I coasted .2 before I was going too slow for traffic. Going to look into a gauge, seems like it would be a great indicator.

Swap in a 2.0, keep your VR6 to replace later. You should be able to find an 8v pretty cheap.
      Would be much cheaper to pay for worse gas mileage I'd think. I'm a decent DIY mechanic, but not up for a motor swap, so I'd have to pay someone to do it. Again, part of the point is that I love the VR sound and having the power available if I need it.

No picture update, but I've burned just over 3/8ths of a tank of the premium, and am at about 140 miles. I learned from last time though, that the gauge seems to make the tank look slightly more empty than it is... so I could be about on pace for a 380-400 mile tank!

Vehicles
      VWs and Audis
      03-23-2012 08:50 PM #44
      This will sound ridiculous, but on another audi forum, a poster said that accelerating as fast as possible saves more fuel than accelerating very slowly as you are able to get to cruising speed in much less time. I have not personally tried this method but he and a few others swear by it. Keep in mind this is with a 2.2L 20VT engine running anywhere from 20-28psi at full throttle in a car weighing 4000ish lbs . Also, if you go around corners faster, while maintaining safety of course, you dont have to accelerate as much after the corner, plus its fun . Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the post, but you should also keep an eye on your tire pressure.
      Last edited by wanderer1983; 03-23-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Vehicles
      97 Jetta VR swapped. 2010 CC VR Executive bagged uni tune. 2012 Passat SEL
      03-23-2012 09:18 PM #45
      My last tank with out trying I got 23mpg...just sayin

Boo ya tapatalk! If you haven't got it yet get it!
      97 Jetta GL, OBDI VR swapped, 262 cams, GIAC chip, turn 2 style CAI, Magnaflow catback, 2.9 clone manifold, eurospec flywheel, B&G RS2 coilovers, MKIV front and rear seats

21. 03-23-2012 09:38 PM #46
      I normally get 26mpg with spirited driving and 30+ with calm driving in my 98 GTI VR6. Also, using the engine to decel actually saves more fuel than idling. The ecu cuts fuel during decel while in gear until around 1000rpm. Pushing in the clutch and idling to a stop is wasting fuel.
      Try it and you will see the difference.

22. 03-23-2012 10:29 PM #47
      30mpg average in a 12v is cake. Add in alot of traffic, and 25 is easily achievable.

Mk3 12v's stock average about .5 gallons a hour at idle.

Above 2200rpm the injectors are shut off on decel. Below that they are ramped back on to help with throttle tip in from off throttle.

12v's engine brake aggressively, so most of the time coasting is a better option, steep downgrades where you need to scrub speed anyway are the obvious exception.

I can do 30 mixed easy in centralish PA living in the middle of nowhere, with roads that don't have less then a 5% incline for more then 300 feet at a time, and thats getting on it a few times.

35 highway is my high average for highway, and 32 is normal highway if not really thinking about saving gas. and thats on wide aggressive summer tires and 190whp.

These cars can do well on MPG if you keep them maintained and know how to drive them.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      03-23-2012 10:44 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      30mpg average in a 12v is cake. 35 highway is my high average for highway, and 32 is normal highway if not really thinking about saving gas. and thats on wide aggressive summer tires and 190whp.

These cars can do well on MPG if you keep them maintained and know how to drive them.
      this.

i remember so many trips to and from our lake cottage where i averaged ~33mpg.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      03 jetta 2.0, 99 jetta mkIII and a 51 chevy
      03-23-2012 10:50 PM #49
      im getting 28-30 mpg. nothing major, mk4 head gasket cat back, intake. what fuel are you running too?

Vehicles
      97 Jetta VR swapped. 2010 CC VR Executive bagged uni tune. 2012 Passat SEL
      03-23-2012 11:42 PM #50
      Ahhh yes, you are running premium with no ethanol right?

Boo ya tapatalk! If you haven't got it yet get it!
      97 Jetta GL, OBDI VR swapped, 262 cams, GIAC chip, turn 2 style CAI, Magnaflow catback, 2.9 clone manifold, eurospec flywheel, B&G RS2 coilovers, MKIV front and rear seats

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast