Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sportwagen LED License Plate Bulbs Suggestions??

1. 03-20-2012 10:55 AM #1
      Looking for alternatives to the Ziza LED light bulbs for license plate. Not impressed with the light output.

I called TMTUNING and they said that they do not have a sportwagen option as of yet.

Any suggestions of lights that are bright and don't throw codes???

2. 03-22-2012 02:47 AM #2
      Buehller??

Has anyone done a part number crosscheck for the license plate lights on JSW to other VW models??

Having trouble finding alternative.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      03-22-2012 07:07 AM #3
      I replaced the stock bulbs with LED drop ins which looks good, but unfortunately seems to occasionally throw bulb out warnings. I'll need to add some resistors to the circuit.

_MG_0195 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

_MG_0192 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      03-22-2012 11:28 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cougarav8r View Post
      as of yet.
      The Jetta Sportwagen has been out for 4 years...maybe they should admit that they won't be making one ever.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

5. 03-22-2012 03:29 PM #5
      Thinking of taking the OEM housing and pulling the guts out of LED from something close.

Anyone done this.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      03-23-2012 08:27 AM #6
      Thinking of taking the OEM housing and pulling the guts out of LED from something close.

Anyone done this.
      It's not a bad idea. Dremel out the inside and hot glue in an LED panel and solder the contacts, maybe with a resistor inline to prevent bulb out warnings. I'll look into it.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      03-23-2012 09:59 AM #7
      Look at this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-lights-today

One thing to think about, at least for me... The '09s have different Tail Light Housings than do the '10s and later. Hopefully the bulbs are the same, though.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      03-23-2012 10:11 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Look at this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...e-lights-today

One thing to think about, at least for me... The '09s have different Tail Light Housings than do the '10s and later. Hopefully the bulbs are the same, though.
      The license plate lights are different for the Golf vs the JSW. I've got some OEM Golf LED license plate lights and they're not interchangeable, not even the connectors. The 09 and 10 JSW's have the same tail light housings, and I bought a set of LED tails for mine and replaced all the bulbs with LED inserts, including turn, backup and brake, though I'm planning on swapping the brake and parking lights at the CECM at some point.

9. Member
      03-23-2012 10:37 AM #9
      will the original VW ones off the '12 GTI fit?
      my '12 GTI has white led light for the lic plate area as stock.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      03-23-2012 10:54 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
      The license plate lights are different for the Golf vs the JSW. I've got some OEM Golf LED license plate lights and they're not interchangeable, not even the connectors. The 09 and 10 JSW's have the same tail light housings, and I bought a set of LED tails for mine and replaced all the bulbs with LED inserts, including turn, backup and brake, though I'm planning on swapping the brake and parking lights at the CECM at some point.
      I need to be more careful. My '09 has license plate lights that use #2 Phillips screws to secure the housings in place. My '11 has pry out housings. I don't own a '10, so I should not comment on those. I had assumed the '10s and '11s were the same. My bad. FWIW, the housings in your photo look a lot like those on my '11. No idea about a Golf, though, as I don't have ready access to one.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 03-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      03-23-2012 07:20 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      I need to be more careful. My '09 has license plate lights that use #2 Phillips screws to secure the housings in place. My '11 has pry out housings. I don't own a '10, so I should not comment on those. I had assumed the '10s and '11s were the same. My bad. FWIW, the housings in your photo look a lot like those on my '11. No idea about a Golf, though, as I don't have ready access to one.
      Weird. The 09 I saw had the snap in ones. My 10 does as well.

Vehicles
      2008 UG .:R32 , 2011 Brown JSW TDI
      05-07-2012 04:21 PM #12
      Did we ever find some LED's for the 11's or 12's license plate that doesn't throw a light?

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi
      12-04-2012 08:08 PM #13
      Can't seem to find the correct one that won't throw any codes

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      12-04-2012 08:54 PM #14
      The ones Toeball posted throw codes but that company Super Bright LED's has CAN-BUS LED's last time I looked. I still have to order some as I have the ones that throw codes.
      http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/m...,Yes,116,4017:
      2010 Sportwagen_ 92 Corrado G60

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi
      12-04-2012 09:21 PM #15
      Thanks!

16. 12-04-2012 10:09 PM #16
      Want to get this done... Looking for a guinea pig.

Oink oink.

Post pics or give forum feedback after you install.

17. 03-09-2013 12:05 AM #17
      OK....

So I bought the LED's with the CANBUS function from....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...se-tower/1127/

I thought that this was going to work.... installed first bulb no probs.

Installed second bulb and it throws the dashboard code for "check license plate light".

Any ideas why this is not working OR what a work around might be?

This is driving me nuts... second set of light that no workEEE. I also tried the ones from zisa with no joy.

HELP my Vortex friends.

03-10-2013 08:37 AM #18
      haven't read anything bad from deautokey.com from here or mkvi forum
      2012 Jetta Sportwagen 4dr DSG TDI - wife
      2012 Golf 2dr HB Man TDI w/ Tech Pkg - mine

19. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      03-12-2013 03:07 PM #19
      OK....

So I bought the LED's with the CANBUS function from....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...se-tower/1127/

I thought that this was going to work.... installed first bulb no probs.

Installed second bulb and it throws the dashboard code for "check license plate light".

Any ideas why this is not working OR what a work around might be?

This is driving me nuts... second set of light that no workEEE. I also tried the ones from zisa with no joy.

HELP my Vortex friends.
      Cougar you still need to add resistors to the LED license plate harness due to the CECM not recognizing the LED bulbs and throwing the bulb out error. The reason you don't get this on the interior is that it won't throw a bulb out code on the MFD
      Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/VMR708 wheels/KW V3 Coilovers

20. 03-12-2013 06:59 PM #20
      OK... Noob question for you.

What type of resister?

Do you have a part number and maybe a source of supply for these.... Interested to get 'er done.

Thanks for the reply.

Cougar

21. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      03-12-2013 11:42 PM #21
      OK... Noob question for you.

What type of resister?

Do you have a part number and maybe a source of supply for these.... Interested to get 'er done.

Thanks for the reply.

Cougar
      Like this, but realize that the golf uses different connectors to the license plate lights than the sportwagen.

http://www.kufatec.com/index.php?mai...dkfpoqqopl48u6
      Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/VMR708 wheels/KW V3 Coilovers

22. 03-16-2013 08:09 PM #22
      I'd wait on those, we have some coming out, we actually have a lot coming out, but we like to test because we don't believe in just selling anything and trust us when we say this, VW audi and BMW are very tricky cars to get right, you can do searches all over this forum and on the internet and find other LED companies and how they have had issues with their LED in all of these cars.

Superbrightled=a huge LED website that is over expanding into auto market with lights that are giving issues to Audi/vw and bmw users, I am not trashing them, I'm sure they are fine as a website overall, but we have had a lot of feedback and members compare our LED to them and it seems like they do flicker and glow and are not as crisp as ours....

Anyway, to keep updated, like us on FB, sign up to our mailing list, we will soon have nice error free LED with lifetime warranties for every part of your car!

Thank you
      w:www.deAutoKey.com – Free Shipping Always – High quality LED/Vinyls/Keys
      f:www.Facebook.com/deAutoKey – Exclusive savings, discount codes and announcements for FB fans
      i:www.Instagram.com/deAutoKey – Tag us in a cool VW pic or our product – we will follow you!

23. 06-02-2013 05:59 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by deAutoKey.com View Post
      I'd wait on those, we have some coming out
      Hey guy's

Any Update?

24. 06-02-2013 07:56 PM #24
      Sylvania/OSRAM Bulb Replacement Guide for a 2012 SportWagen

I have a 2013 myself so I'm having to guess they are the same.

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      06-02-2013 08:07 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by anthonysabamf View Post
      Sylvania/OSRAM Bulb Replacement Guide for a 2012 SportWagen

I have a 2013 myself so I'm having to guess they are the same.
      What does that link have to do with LED license plate lights?
      Revo Tune / afe Intake / Neuspeed Turbo Exit Pipe / Mufflerectomy / ST Coils / Superpro LCAs / 25mm BFI RSB / Golf R Steering Wheel & Shifter / DG Short Shift Kit / RNS-510 / VWR BBK - MKV R32 Rear Brakes /OEM LED HIDs / VMR V810 / S53 Whispbars / OEM Golf R Front End

26. 06-02-2013 08:17 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      What does that link have to do with LED license plate lights?
      Some of the websites like SuperBrightLEDs show the bulb numbers for reference. Check other websites as well. PerformanceLEDs doesnt show part numbers NOR does it have anything specific for the JSW. Don't know if they can be trusted.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Golf R36 + DSG || 2007 VW Touareg 3.6l VR6 || 1997 VW Jetta GLX || 1991 VW Cabriolet ABA
      06-03-2013 11:25 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by anthonysabamf View Post
      Some of the websites like SuperBrightLEDs show the bulb numbers for reference. Check other websites as well. PerformanceLEDs doesnt show part numbers NOR does it have anything specific for the JSW. Don't know if they can be trusted.
      Shot you a PM Anthony.
      Last edited by DasDubVR6; 06-04-2013 at 04:31 AM.

28. 05-03-2014 02:05 AM #28
      Thanks for your patience and waiting, we have a GREAT error free, bright, crisp white license plate LED for the JSW finally:
      http://deautokey.com/product/vw-jsw-...plate-housings

DIY:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...IY)&p=85462355

Before and After:

Thank you
      Last edited by deAutoKey.com; 05-03-2014 at 12:35 PM.
      f:www.Facebook.com/deAutoKey – Exclusive savings, discount codes and announcements for FB fans
      i:www.Instagram.com/deAutoKey – Tag us in a cool VW pic or our product – we will follow you!

Vehicles
      '03 gti vr6 24v, '12 JSW S 2.5 5sp
      05-09-2014 11:36 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by deAutoKey.com View Post
      Thanks for your patience and waiting, we have a GREAT error free, bright, crisp white license plate LED for the JSW finally:
      http://deautokey.com/product/vw-jsw-...plate-housings

DIY:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...IY)&p=85462355

Before and After:

Thank you
      Good to see you guys finally put out some license plate LEDs for the JSW! Do you offer any interior + license plate led bundles? And I understand this just came out, but is it totally necessary to replace he whole housing as opposed to just swapping bulbs with resistors? Thanks again for your support.

30. 05-09-2014 01:19 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by esoteric vue View Post
      Good to see you guys finally put out some license plate LEDs for the JSW! Do you offer any interior + license plate led bundles? And I understand this just came out, but is it totally necessary to replace he whole housing as opposed to just swapping bulbs with resistors? Thanks again for your support.
      For right now, you will have to use the housing, we have resistor options coming out also if you do not want to replace your housing. The resistors will allow you to simply use a bulb without any errors.

We sold out of that headlight housing the first week we had them, we should have both options in a month.

Thank you

Vehicles
      06-08-2014 10:18 PM #31
      Went with the resistor option as opposed to the full housing swap and I can't imagine any brighter. This is a perfect replacement for stock bulbs. Also did the reverse light swap and they're the tits. Cheers guys.

32. 06-08-2014 10:41 PM #32
      Went with the resistor option as opposed to the full housing swap and I can't imagine any brighter. This is a perfect replacement for stock bulbs. Also did the reverse light swap and they're the tits. Cheers guys.
      Thanks for the feedback. How was the DIY and how long did it take you to remove your adapters and switch them with ours? We are just asking all customers, we find it to be very easy, but it is an extra step so we want to see how our customers feel about it.

Referring to these:
      http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-jet...ors-error-free

Thanks again for the update and feedback

Vehicles
      06-08-2014 11:19 PM #33
      Didn't take long at all. Unplug original wires and replace with the adapters, then throw the resistor in line. Also didn't expect the instruction paper included in the packaging. Clear enough for the average Joe to figure out. They look great. Just need to order the interior led set now.

34. 06-09-2014 01:29 AM #34
      Didn't take long at all. Unplug original wires and replace with the adapters, then throw the resistor in line. Also didn't expect the instruction paper included in the packaging. Clear enough for the average Joe to figure out. They look great. Just need to order the interior led set now.
      Thanks for the feedback.