Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hard Wire Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector

1. 03-20-2012 01:16 PM #1
      My house has about 12 hard wired smoke detectors. I just completed a inspection, where I am now required to add in four carbon monoxide detectors. Instead of doubling up the devices at some locations, can I just replace the smoke with the carbon/smoke units?

Will this cause any issues with the wiring?

Can anyone recommend any affordable options?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      03-20-2012 01:21 PM #2
      Yep.
      It should be a 3 wire system + ground.
      If it's newer construction, it'll be a black/white/red.
      Black is hot, white is neutral, red is the signal between them.

First thing I would look for is the same brand as your smokes, they may be plug & play...
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

3. 03-20-2012 01:23 PM #3
      It is 2 year old construction,and is white/black/red

4. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      03-20-2012 01:34 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by atchudy View Post
      It is 2 year old construction,and is white/black/red
      Just make sure you turn of the breaker before doing any work on that circuit.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

03-21-2012 01:41 PM #5
      I have 11 in my house, but I would not replace a smoke detector with a carbon monoxide detector as they have different functions.

Since Carbon Monoxide mixes evenly in the air, unlike smoke, you can use plug-in models or tap into an un-switched outlet. I believe you should keep your CO detectors so that they don't interconnect. That way you might be able to tell where the CO might be coming from.

I just replaced all of my smoke detectors. It's now recommended that you replace them all after 10 years. I replaced mine with a model that has a Lithium battery for back-up that should last 10 years. That's a hell of a lot better than trying to figure out which SD had the low battery.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

03-21-2012 04:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I have 11 in my house, but I would not replace a smoke detector with a carbon monoxide detector as they have different functions.

Since Carbon Monoxide mixes evenly in the air, unlike smoke, you can use plug-in models or tap into an un-switched outlet. I believe you should keep your CO detectors so that they don't interconnect. That way you might be able to tell where the CO might be coming from.

I just replaced all of my smoke detectors. It's now recommended that you replace them all after 10 years. I replaced mine with a model that has a Lithium battery for back-up that should last 10 years. That's a hell of a lot better than trying to figure out which SD had the low battery.
      get a decent one, and they have different tones for different things I think. I do know that CO's have a LED # on them so only one should have changed from 0

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-21-2012 04:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post

We just replace the 9v batteries in our SDs once a year- my wife has it on her calendar. Ours are hard-wired btw.

03-22-2012 05:49 PM #8
      This thread reminded me to buy a plug-in CO detector today.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04 W8 6spd Wagon
      03-24-2012 07:07 PM #9
      I have combo units in my house. They work great, they tell you why each is going off. They also blink to tell you which one triggered the alarm so you know which one to waste your time pressing the button to shut the damn things up.
      Originally Posted by rconn14:
      The fact that someone invented a system that saves you the struggle of turning your head to check your blind spot, yet there is no dash-light that says "get your ass out of the left lane you cell phone wielding ****"