Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Seriously Disappointed!

Vehicles
      2012 Eos Executive, Black Uni & Black Titan, Velos 18", Dynaudio Rocks!
      03-20-2012 11:40 PM #1
      I have a 2007 Eos 2.0T manual transmission that I'm seriously crazy about. By far it's been the best car I've owned, and I'm really loving it this week with the incredible weather we're having in Chicago. But I'm inching up to 70k miles and so was beginning to look at buying a newer model Eos.

Has VW lost their mind? The three 2012 models for sale are plainly awful! No many choices, crappy wheels, and Passat styling (not that there's anything wrong with that, but an Eos isn't a Passat).

So now my decision is either drive this Eos until it's dead and maybe along the way VW will roll out a model worth buying, or jump ship to another automaker which I don't really want to do.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      03-21-2012 12:55 AM #2
      Not here. I like the new refresh and am looking forward to getting one next year. The 2007-2011 EOS is about as close in appearance to a Passat of that era as the 2012 EOS is to the new 2012 Passat. As for "not many choices" I'm not sure I follow. The new EOS has more packages, free standing options, etc then the previous model. Plus, there is a whole new trim level added. I love the added niceties; silver trimmed window switches, headlight control, power mirror knob, the new shift knob is a huge improvement, its nice that Nav is now standard on the Lux, etc.

I know there are those who don't care for the refresh but I like it quite a bit.
      -Dusty
      2008 EOS Luxury, Salsa Red / Titan Black Leather
      BMW Z3 Roadster, Jet Black / Black Leather
      BMW 328i Convertible, Avus Blue / Tan Leather

03-21-2012 10:31 AM #3
      you should keep your EOS until 2015 at least.

sounds like you really like the car and if it has been trouble free, another 3 years won't be so bad!

happy driving.

93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav

4. 03-23-2012 11:14 AM #4
      My wife and I share your angst. Our 2007 is at 60k and overall has been good. Neither us us like the new styling and the options choices. Rumor has it 2015 is when the Eos goes away. Right now we plan on keeping ours until it suffers the same fate as the Bluesmobile. Have you considered seeing if there are any low mileage CPO 2011s that meet your specs?

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 12:54 AM #5
      I have not, but a great idea. i'll start looking. I've been shopping BMW 328i covertibles and while I could afford it, it hurtsmerightthere to pay that much for a *car*. Awfully nice, though.

It just hacks me off that VW has taken a really great car and ruined it. I get that taste is subjective, but the great thing about the Eos from the start was that it didn't look like other cars and was a wonderful value for the money. Now with the top up it is dull, dull, dull and with the top down it might as well be a Chrysler Sebring with stupid eyelash lighting. And what in the hell happened to manual trannies? Doesn't anyone want to *drive* anymore???

Alright, I'm done whining, but I object, dammit.

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      03-24-2012 01:24 PM #6
      Do both! I have a 328i Convertible and an EOS, a great solution for deciding between the two!
      -Dusty

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 02:48 PM #7
      Well, after all my bellyaching about the style of the 2012 Eos, I went ahead and traded in my 2007 Eos Sport and bought a 2012 Eos Executive, Black Uni with Black Titan interior.

I was convinced that I was going to buy a BMW 328i Convertible, but after test driving one I realized that the sunroof in the Eos is far more important than I've realized. I'm so used to having one that when I got into the BMW with the top up, I felt closed in and it was quite dark. It amazed me how much I take the sunroof for granted. So that was a deal breaker for me.

With the top down, the 328 is more competitive, but even then the fit and finish seemed less polished than the Eos. Also surprising to me.

And then it comes back to the value for your money. 6 years later the Eos is *still* an excellent value for the equipment you get. To get the same options on a 328iC that I'm getting on my Eos Executive it would cost me $12k more. That's 25% more than an top-of-the-line Eos.

The style is growing on me. I sort of helped that along by convincing my dealer to swap out the Kansas rims with Velos rims they had on another Eos. I've also had them swap out the ugly burled wood with the brushed aluminum. I pick it up tonight.

So I take it all back, I'm still a card-carrying member of the Eos family, now with an updated version

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      05-03-2012 02:57 PM #8
      Good choice! We are pretty sure that when we get our new EOS we're going for Rising Blue with Tan Exec. However, after a trip to my favorite dealership last week, I may have to reconsider. I saw the 'Night Blue' in person for the first time. Damn, it was STUNNING!
      -Dusty

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      05-04-2012 10:07 AM #9
      For the record:

2007 EOS came in 3 trim levels with 3 interior color choices and 8 exterior color choices:
      Black Uni
      Candy White
      Eismeer Blue
      Island Gray
      Paprika Red
      Silver Essence
      Thunder Blue
      Wheat Beige Metallic

2012 EOS comes in 3 trim levels with 4 interior color choices and 10 exterior color choices:
      Black Oak Brown Metallic
      Black Uni
      Candy White
      Horizon Blue Metallic
      Indium Gray Metallic
      Night Blue Metallic
      Reflex Silver Metallic
      Rising Blue Metallic
      Salsa Red
      White Gold Metallic

EDIT: Just noticed that you went with a 2012 EOS Executive....NICE!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      05-06-2012 01:00 AM #10
      Glad you stayed with the Eos.

I definitely agree with you, wood coloring and black do not go together, very well.

My trim was initially black but after a nice Dash Dress-Up kit with 23 pieces that I installed this week, it looks like a totally different vehicle.

13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 05:08 PM #11
      "[QUOTE=DavidPaul;77256091]Glad you stayed with the Eos.

I definitely agree with you, wood coloring and black do not go together, very well.

My trim was initially black but after a nice Dash Dress-Up kit with 23 pieces that I installed this week, it looks like a totally different vehicle."

That's EXACTLY what I asked my dealer to do for me -- they actually swapped the burled wood trim with the aluminum trim from a Lux they had on the lot. I also had them swap the Kansas rims with Velos rims. The car looks entirely different with just those two changes.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 05:27 PM #12
      It wasn't the colors and combos I was moaning about, it really was about not being able to get a manual shift. After a week with the automatic, I still pine for a manual. The car just drives better with the stick. But I'm getting over it -- the Executive version is much cushier in general than my 2007 Sport, so I suppose the automatic shift makes better sense.

I was also disappointed by the lack of rim and trim choice, which I fixed by having my dealer replace the burled wood with aluminum and also replacing the Kansas rims with the Velos rims.

I've even gotten over the change in styling. I *really* liked the round tail lights on earlier models and dislike the eyelash running lights on this model. But both changes are slowly growing on me.

Overall I'm really pleased. The technology is super -- I love the keyless entry and love how my iPhone connects to the car when I get into it. It's like having a command center in the car with you!

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      05-09-2012 05:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoVW View Post
      The car just drives better with the stick.
      I gotta disagree on that one (for my tastes). I am a total manual guy, despite my EOS being a DSG. After owning some cars with excellent manual gearboxes, the EOS' is like a sloppy semi-truck. My BMWs, Porsches and Miatas shifted brilliantly. The manual EOS shifting is sloppy, no short throw, doesn't 'click' into gear and was a serious disappointment for me. I intended to buy a manual but the second I drove it, I knew there was no way that was gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoVW View Post
      they actually swapped the burled wood trim with the aluminum trim from a Lux.
      If they gave you the silver / aluminum trim, it came from the base model (a Komfort). The Lux and Exec both have wood trim.
      -Dusty

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      05-10-2012 03:24 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by sapphirexae View Post
      I gotta disagree on that one (for my tastes). I am a total manual guy, despite my EOS being a DSG. After owning some cars with excellent manual gearboxes, the EOS' is like a sloppy semi-truck. My BMWs, Porsches and Miatas shifted brilliantly. The manual EOS shifting is sloppy, no short throw, doesn't 'click' into gear and was a serious disappointment for me. I intended to buy a manual but the second I drove it, I knew there was no way that was gonna happen.

If they gave you the silver / aluminum trim, it came from the base model (a Komfort). The Lux and Exec both have wood trim.
      The Komfort comes with BLACK trim.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      05-10-2012 01:19 PM #15
      I'm not certain where you got that information from, but it is not at all correct. This is taken from VW's own Web Site:

Standard on Komfort: "Titan Silver interior trim (dashboard, center console, and door panels)"

Lux adds: "Burled Walnut wood interior trim (dashboard, center console, and door panels)"

Firthermore, here are two pictures of 2012's interior. The first is a 2012 Komfort (you can tell by the leatherette interior). The second is a Luxury (you can tell by the real leather and the small nav screen). As you can see, the Komfort has Silver Trim and the Lux has Wood.

Last edited by sapphirexae; 05-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.
      -Dusty

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      05-11-2012 01:51 AM #16
      [QUOTE=sapphirexae;77326526]Not certain where you go that information from, but it is not correct. This is taken from VW's own Web Site:

Standard on Komfort: "Titan Silver interior trim (dashboard, center console, and door panels)"

Lux adds: "Burled Walnut wood interior trim (dashboard, center console, and door panels)"

Firthermore, here are two pictures of 2012's interior. The first is a 2012 Komfort (you can tell by the leatherette interior). The second is a Luxury (you can tell by the real leather and the small nav screen). As you can see, the Komfort has Silver Trim and the Lux has Wood.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct and I am corrected.

Apparently things have changed since I got my Komfort.

I actually prefer the Aluminum trim as opposed to the wood on the black dash. On the beige dash, I prefer the wood.

My dash had black trim but I painted many of the pieces. Since then, I decided to get a Sherwood Dress-Up kit. Many things were covered with their kit that I had already painted plus several more. However, the one thing they didn't cover was the overhead light console. My paint got this one taken care of.

Thanks for the update and lesson learned.

VW changes their specs so often, it's hard to keep up.

Last edited by DavidPaul; 05-11-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 09:42 PM #17
      I totally agree about the trim. Walnut just seems so fusty - an artifact of another time.

By the way, I'd love to post a pic of my Eos if someone could tell me how to do it. I searched the FAQ and none of the directions could be followed
      Last edited by ChicagoVW; 05-14-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 EOS, Luxury
      05-14-2012 11:47 PM #18
      Go to photo bucket and upload your pictures. When you're done, select 'direct link'. Then past that link here in a Forum thread.
      -Dusty