VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BUILD THREAD vr6 swap B5 A4

43K views 74 replies 20 participants last post by  robv27 
#1 ·
Figured id throw a build thread up in here as well to get some local advice, feedback and whatnot. car is a 98.5 b5 a4 quattro manual. im currently in the process of a vr6 swap which may or my not be boosted by the time i finish. if its not boosted right away, it will be down the road but keep in mind this will be a slow moving build as i am very busy with school and work and funds are slow going. :facepalm:

plans are:

shaved bay
12v vr6 swap
full respray
shaved side marker lights
shaved mid & lower door moldings
s4 side skirts
s4 front bumper with rs4 mod
shaved exhaust cut out and molded rear valance
full interior + cage

hes some pics before and during the process

See less See more
#3 ·
The power that can be made out of the vr6 is the main reason. The engine has so much potential and when mixed with all wheel drive it is absolutely ridiculous. Plus the swap is somewhat unique, although it is starting to become more popular, it still has not been don't "that" much. When I lost compression on cyl 2 of my 1.8t I originally planned to build that engine. But, for the cost of a 2.0L stroker build I would still not be getting the power I really wanted to make. And many people are still having problems with their stroker builds and tuning. The vr6 has been proven time and time again that it can make serious power, which is what I'm looking for. Plus just the sound of the vr is more than enough to justify the swap ;)

#10 ·
034 sells an adapter plate to run the stock trans for either b5 a4 or s4 my plans now are to run my stock a4 5 speed which I have bolted up currently. But as soon as I boost it ill need to swap to the s4 6 speed as well as driveshaft, rear diff and all 4 axles. If not ill blow my 5 speed immediately lol

#17 ·
Quick question. In deleting my evap system, can I just leave the evap hose vented straight to the atmosphere? Or do I need to keep the purge solenoid on and plugged in and vent to atmosphere? I know most guys keep the solenoid plugged in and vent to atmosphere. Just wondering if its necessary.

#20 ·
So ya... Dash is 95% out Haha and let me tell u, what a fantastic job Haha they put these together with the intention of them to never be removed. The routing of the wiring is stupid. Doesn't take long but sure is a hassle can't wait to re rout the wiring in a much more orderly fashion. And re rout my added wiring to look oem. Pics to follow tonight :thumbup:

#35 · (Edited)
Sorry guys been slow with updates. Body work has started pass side fender is getting close to complete got shaving moldings and side marker light. Holes in doors will be welded up this week hopefully. So body work can start on those. Need to get this thing painted so I can get it rolling again to cage it and get started on engine build.
not quite but gettin there

and not even close haha

may have gotten a little side project to distract myself ;) no updates on the audi :sly:

#38 ·
pic overload tonight, got my doors welded up thanks to jeff, jaystone.

last pics of the wheels before the new owner pics them up tonight

helped a buddy install coilovers on his s5 on my birthday :sly:

most recent cage i finished at work. i do the bending not the welding

weekends at my house haha

and the last major piece of the puzzle comes stolling into the garage... or should i say pieces :eek::eek: got some work to do. let me know if u have lower grills or undrilled filler plate for sale :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.