Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Victims - A6 to A3 honeycomb grille

1. 04-02-2012 06:49 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Evo V View Post
      Mine is black and I almost bought the same wheels. The guy that was selling them pull back in the last moment and I ordered replica titanium package. Was it hard to install S3 body kit? I am debating this for my next project.
      front is easy.
      take old bumper off
      trim the impact strip down a bit to fit the s3 bumper
      bumper go in same way

side skirts
      bolt on no glue or nothing'
      just need some time taking off the door sills.

rear bumper is rear bumper few screws here and there its off.

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      04-03-2012 03:24 PM #52
      I'm loving the work on the grill, looks great. Will you post a complete DIY for those who want to try something similiar? I suppose if you don't we can just follow your work log from this thread

Vehicles
      Audi A3 3.2 quattro sLine 2008, Lava Gray
      04-03-2012 03:43 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by dsbloom View Post
      I'm loving the work on the grill, looks great. Will you post a complete DIY for those who want to try something similiar? I suppose if you don't we can just follow your work log from this thread
      I will and I'll include a supplies list too.
      __________________________________________________ _______________
      Anyone who looks at the Audi A3 3.2 DSG and sees an overpriced economy car should not be allowed to play with Rottweiler puppies.
      Robert Farago, The Truth About Cars

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 01:36 PM #54
      Finally ready for paint

Joints in the middle of setting the epoxy

Joints after sanding

Anyone who looks at the Audi A3 3.2 DSG and sees an overpriced economy car should not be allowed to play with Rottweiler puppies.

5. 04-10-2012 01:40 PM #55
      did u screw them in at the joint edges? epoxy will most likely fail in the future.

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      04-10-2012 02:06 PM #56
      The sanded pic looks good, man. Can't wait to see the end result!

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      04-10-2012 02:06 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by ceese View Post
      I will and I'll include a supplies list too.
      Awesome.

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 02:10 PM #58
      I was originally going to use this ABS welding chemical but the gaps that were created when I was fitting the mesh required that I went with epoxy. I would take money on the fact that it won't fail. I used 20 minute set Loctite and it set rock hard after 48 hours. I also used a little extra in the back of the joints. Also, once the mesh was in and set the grill became extremely rigid with even less flex than the grill was stock. There is also about 60 joints so we'll see, but like I said I'd take money that after its primered and painted that it won't fail.

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 02:45 PM #59
      Awesome.
      Here's a supplies list. I'm still working on the how to.

1. An old A3 grill that fits your car
      2. A cheepo A6 grill from Ebay. Do a search for A6 grille not RS6 grille to find one they should be about $100.
      3. A jig saw with a fine diamond blade (I used a battery operated oscillating saw. It worked but didn't do that great of a job. A dremel wont work to cut the grill out because it won't let you get the angles you need.
      4. A dremel or the equivalent. Don't use the ceramic cutters go out and buy a small diamond one -you'll thank me later. Also get a selection of different size and grit grinding heads. Again, I found the diamond ones worked the best but the ceramic ones were very useful during the touch up stage. Also, low speed is your friend.
      5. Plastic filler and hardener - see if you have a plastics store in your area. I went to a place called Taps and they were very helpful for pretty much everything I needed.
      6. A pallet for mixing the filler and bondo and a thin piece of abs 10" by 10" that you can cut out to strengthen where you cut out the plate filler.
      7. Bondo blades. If you get the tan ones from Home depot you can use scissors to cut them up into mini filler tools. You'll need to cut them for some of the detail and touch up stuff.
      8. Epoxy resin and super glue (for quick touch ups) - Get the long setting stuff. I used 20 minute Loctite, I would have preferred the 60 minute but I couldn't find it locally.
      9. A couple Epoxy syringes - I had one block up on me
      10. Sand paper, a sanding block and make a trip to your local pharmacy and buy a selection of nail files and emery boards. I bought four of each grit of emery board (16 total) and went through them all. The best was the way the woman behind the counter looked at me as I was buying $30 worth of $1 nail files - LOL.
      11. Important - clamps at least 10 medium ones and a smaller selection of large and small ones.

10. 04-10-2012 02:54 PM #60
      I was originally going to use this ABS welding chemical but the gaps that were created when I was fitting the mesh required that I went with epoxy. I would take money on the fact that it won't fail. I used 20 minute set Loctite and it set rock hard after 48 hours. I also used a little extra in the back of the joints. Also, once the mesh was in and set the grill became extremely rigid with even less flex than the grill was stock. There is also about 60 joints so we'll see, but like I said I'd take money that after its primered and painted that it won't fail.

Vehicles
      2010 audi a3, 2004 toyota tacoma 4x4
      04-10-2012 02:55 PM #61
      guarantee the epoxy is stronger than the surrounding plastic. the plastic will fail before the epoxy i.e. in a frontal crash. I had to use similar stuff on an outboard i had to repair. The mounting point for a shift cable in the cast aluminum block of an engine ripped a chunk out of the block and i used epoxy to reset it back in the block. It held for the next two years i used the engine. i know it was a ghetto fix but i couldn't afford to down the boat and i had time constraints. Cant wait to see the final product!
      2010 Audi A3 2.0t Quattro - S tronic - Ibis White - Titanium - APR STG 2 - Carbonio STG 2 - Billy Boat TBE

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      04-11-2012 03:43 PM #62
      2. A cheepo A6 grill from Ebay. Do a search for A6 grille not RS6 grille to find one they should be about $100.
      Do you think it would be easier or cheaper to just buy mesh instead of another grill? I have seen shops online that sell mesh to make your own grill, but not sure if they match that RS look.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 05:48 PM #63
      Do you think it would be easier or cheaper to just buy mesh instead of another grill? I have seen shops online that sell mesh to make your own grill, but not sure if they match that RS look.
      You can't really see it in my pics but the A6 grill has a curvature and angle to the mesh that matches the shape of the grill frame. A sheet of mesh is going to look awkward and wierd when you try to shape it into your cutout frame. As far as easier, deffinitely not. With flat mesh you are going to have to shape it somehow to get the curvature.

Before I saw the A6 grill I was scoping sheets of honeycomb and couldn't quite work out how I was going to make it look OEM. Also anything worth using was over $80. IMO, go with the A6 grill.

Keep in mind that this is a seriously time consuming mod. I had hours and hours poured into it and I wouldn't do it again as it took me about three times longer than planned.

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      04-23-2012 11:50 AM #64
      Hey Ceese, any more progress on this? Can't wait to see it finished and installed.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:47 PM #65
      Been busy with other things the last couple weeks. Actually just stopped by a paint shop an hour ago on my way to work to look at color samples. Not too inspired by the shop, have another shop I'm going to try before I paint it myself.

Ordering the Carbon fiber material to wrap the surround today should have it middle of the week. Hoping to have both the grill and surround finished by the middle of next week.

Have a couple hours before I place my order - here are my 3 choices for wrapping the surround - opinions anyone?

Standard 2x2 carbon fiber

Zylon (kavlar/carbon fiber hybrid - bronze and black)

Zylon is the material on the top of the faceshield - looks just like carbon fiber but has a copper color too it as well.

Texalium (aluminum coated fiber glass)

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      04-23-2012 11:11 PM #66
      Been busy with other things the last couple weeks. Actually just stopped by a paint shop an hour ago on my way to work to look at color samples. Not too inspired by the shop, have another shop I'm going to try before I paint it myself.

Ordering the Carbon fiber material to wrap the surround today should have it middle of the week. Hoping to have both the grill and surround finished by the middle of next week.

Have a couple hours before I place my order - here are my 3 choices for wrapping the surround - opinions anyone?

Standard 2x2 carbon fiber

Zylon (kavlar/carbon fiber hybrid - bronze and black)

Zylon is the material on the top of the faceshield - looks just like carbon fiber but has a copper color too it as well.

Texalium (aluminum coated fiber glass)

I like the standard or the aluminum.

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 12:47 AM #67
      Thanks, wussed out being different and ended up ordering standard carbon fiber.

Also, got a quote on the paint today but was told to fix a couple glitches so it's going to paint next week. I should have it installed a week from Saturday pending any surprises on finishing up the surround.

Vehicles
      '11 Avant S-line, previous A3 TDI
      04-24-2012 09:34 AM #68

Also can't tell in this photo but installed the gloss black mirror covers to match the black of the open sky.
      where'd you order your mirror covers from? been thinking about changing the color or housing on mine, but the S3 covers are so $$$$!

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 12:08 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by asal View Post
      where'd you order your mirror covers from? been thinking about changing the color or housing on mine, but the S3 covers are so $$$$!
      I bought them from RedLineBob on the forum. They may be for sale very soon though. The glossy black looks sweet but its hard to notice them in person on the Lava gray. I just bought another set on Ebay (great deal) that I'm going to get sprayed satin black along with my fog covers to match my grill when it gets painted. Thinking the satin black might stand out a little more against my Lava Gray. If you are interested I'll have either the gloss black or satin black covers for sale in a couple weeks a lot cheaper than you could get them anywhere els just shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll give you first dibs.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 10:28 AM #70
      I bought them from RedLineBob on the forum. They may be for sale very soon though. The glossy black looks sweet but its hard to notice them in person on the Lava gray. I just bought another set on Ebay (great deal) that I'm going to get sprayed satin black along with my fog covers to match my grill when it gets painted. Thinking the satin black might stand out a little more against my Lava Gray. If you are interested I'll have either the gloss black or satin black covers for sale in a couple weeks a lot cheaper than you could get them anywhere els just shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll give you first dibs.
      PM'd

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      05-07-2012 06:15 PM #71
      Thanks, wussed out being different and ended up ordering standard carbon fiber.

Also, got a quote on the paint today but was told to fix a couple glitches so it's going to paint next week. I should have it installed a week from Saturday pending any surprises on finishing up the surround.
      Hey Ceese, did you get this done yet? If so, how did it turn out?

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 06:39 PM #72
      Should get it back from paint by weeks end. With regards to the carbon fiber - entirely new to me so I tried a set of center caps. Not quite as easy to work with as I assumed. I'm going to be covering the surround this week though although I'm probably going to put the chrome surround on the new grill.

Vehicles
      2008 A3 S-Line (Black)
      05-08-2012 03:52 PM #73
      Sweet man, be sure to post some pics.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 06:09 PM #74
      Sorry for the crappy iphone pics. Went home at lunch to throw on another coat of paint.

I took it to a couple body shops and they both avoided painting it by wanting to charge me crazy prices ($500 - can't say as I blame them since in their mind it had the potential to be a real headache) so I ended up painting it myself, something I don't have a knack for. I used a Krylon epoxy based enamel (semi-flat black) that I've used on my Ducati.
      The color turned out nice. It's a deep black almost satin finish (matches the fog grills almost perfectly) and it bonded nicely to the ABS plastic of the grill frame, the grill material and all of the joints that I used epoxy without filler. It did not however bond to the filler very well which is where most of the imperfections showed up. No I didn't prime although I wish I did since there are some flaws that would have shown up under primer and that I could have fixed at that stage.

Standing two feet back and looking straight at it you can't see the imperfections but right up on it and looking for them you can't miss them. All in all it didn't turn out with the quality that I'd hoped for which was that you wouldn't be able to tell even under close inspection that it had been fabricated. A lot of this was due to my inexperience - if I do a second one I know how to do it properly next time around and I'm certain that you wouldn't know that it wasn't factory.

I don't think its perfect enough for an install since as a custom fabrication its going to get a lot of close attention and as they say the bitch is in the details and the details aren't quite there. However, I'm going to install it anyway with the disclaimer that it's temporary. I'd like to see how it holds up through the summer and winter months. This way if I end up installing a S3 front bumper I can build it again and know that it's going to last.

I get my mirror covers and the grill surround back from paint on Friday. I ended having them painted hyper silver with a matt clear coat finish. I was curious to see how this approach would look and am hoping that they will look indistinguishable from a satin aluminum.

This image shows some of the obvious imperfections, however once installed you won't see them due the angle you'll be viewing the grill from.

I'
      Last edited by ceese; 05-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 07:57 AM #75
      I think it'll look good. Though if one of your main goals was to have it look OEM quality I can understand your disappointment in the small blemishes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast