Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mk4 Gli cant figure out front end clunk?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta Gli Vr6
      03-22-2012 07:46 AM #1
      Hows it going guys I got an 2003 gli. I have had this pretty loud clunk when going over bumps at a slow speed or cutting my wheel hard when backing up. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side. I have brought it to 2 different places and no one can seem to figure out what it is. I replaced sway bar bushings and just replaced the control and bushings and upper strut mounts...any ideas what this could be?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfsburg/1970 Fastback
      04-01-2012 02:26 PM #2
      Same problem with mine. I went and changed out the strut bearings and struts and still have the problem. It's as if something is binding and then breaking free, pisses me off. If you figure it out post it!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI
      04-01-2012 10:08 PM #3
      if you've already changed your control arm bushings and sway bar bushings, then the only thing left is the ball joint.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 SLC, 2003 GLI
      04-01-2012 10:37 PM #4
      Join the club. Bought my '03 GLI new and I started hearing the clunk at around 10k. The dealer and several independent shops have been unable to find anything.

If you search around, you will see a ton of folks with similar symptoms. Yet another annoying characteristic of the Mk4.

5. 04-01-2012 11:23 PM #5
      To the OP-
      When you say you replaced the "sway bar bushings," do you mean the bushings in the sway bar links or the mounts on the body?

My girlfriend's Beetle had a clunk that took a lot of work to find. I replaced the strut mounts, control arm bushings and rear axle bushings. It turned out the clunk was coming from the sway bar bushings where the bar mounts to the body.

A couple other things to check:
      -subframe bolts, to see if any are loose or broken
      -ball joints

Do you know how to check things like ball joints? It varies by vehicle design, but I believe on this car you can use a pry bar to see if you can get the joint to move.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta Gli Vr6
      04-03-2012 12:48 PM #6
      I checked the ball joints. Only thing I can think of is the actual struts? They were replaced like a year and a half ago so I don't think they would already be bad I avoid all the potholes I can.

7. 04-09-2012 08:37 PM #7
      I've been having the same issue also... i figure that it could only be the bushing on the sway bar or sway bar links.... if it so... What are some of best places to purchase these items online....

8. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GLI Autobahn
      04-10-2012 09:17 AM #8
      Another clunk source are your inner tie rods. I had an annoying clunk a while back. Would happen rolling slowly over bumps and when turning the wheel. I couldnt figure it out. I noticed when the car was parked and i rocked the steering wheel back and forth, it would clunk. My left inner tie rod ran out of grease in the ball joint and was the culprit. This is the last place i wouldve ever thought to look.

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      04-10-2012 10:14 AM #9
      CV joint is another possibility. My clunk required a new axle.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfsburg/1970 Fastback
      08-24-2013 06:59 PM #10
      I figured mine out. It was the LCA rear bushing. I took the LCA off and went to a shop where he pressed out the old and set the new ones for FREE. No more clunk.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      08 2.5 Jetta
      09-05-2013 12:36 PM #11
      im having the same problem, i switched my suspension with WRD coilovers and used 034motorsports mounts. turns out the upper strut mounts are allowing the coilovers to move up and down while going over bumps. we checked to make sure everything was tightened and the problem still remains. its driving me crazy ive had my front coilovers removed at least 4 times this week now.

Vehicles
      90 2.0 20V Corrado, 07 Gti, 92/96/99 Jeep XJ, 72 Schwinn Stingray
      09-14-2013 08:02 AM #12
      OP,

My 03 Gli had literally everything you can replace in the suspension done...minus axles. I still had the came clunk you are describing. It was mainly when while turning on a bumpy surface, or going over a decent bump, that would present an audible "clunk". My car was lowered on bilstein sports/neuspeed springs.

Fast forward a few months from replacing everything, I purchased new axles (went with raxles) and sure as heck, no more clunking. Sucks that the 24v is so freaking expensive for parts imo, great engine, just everything around it falls apart, :mk4problems
      DIY: O2M/O2Q OEM+ Short Throw http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6#post79056376
      My Corrado Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-1990-0007-G60 Now on Megasquirt3 Pro+E85
      Insta-Cram: glater91

13. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      09-23-2013 01:03 AM #13
      These are all great suggestions.

The things I check in order are:

Sway Bar end links (disconnect them to see if it goes away before replacing)

Ball Joints & Tie Rods

Control arm bushings

Also, check out the sub frame bolts to make sure they are all tight.

Thanks,
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com
      Toll Free 1 (888) 362-3117
      BB Exhausts - FK - KW - Magnaflow - Solo Werks - ST - Wagner Tuning & more
      www.eurocollective.com - Contact us for a personalized quote!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI 1.8T
      09-23-2013 01:20 PM #14
      Everyone else has come up with a pretty thorough list...one more thought: The captured nut inside the subframe that receives the front LCA bushing bolts are notorious for becoming un-captured when the tack weld fails. Could be something that went and is rattling around?
      Silverstone Gray, Aristos w/ Michelin PSS. Vented fender liner, TT Short Shift, Hawk HPS, Exact-Fit SS lines, ECS Dogbone Mount, 034Motorsport StreetLine Engine Mounts, H&R OE Sports, Koni STR.Ts, R32/TT rear LCA bushings, BFI Poly-Graphite front LCA bushings, TyrolSport solid subframe & steering rack mounts, Powerflex Street front strut mounts, Raxles, TT front rotors & 11" rear rotors

15. Member Doctor Meat Does Housecalls's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Silver MK4 On Orange Rims, 2014 Jetta SE
      10-21-2013 11:01 AM #15
      Still having this issue after the ENTIRE front end has been replaced. No matter what level the air ride is set at. Its aggrivating the **** out of me.
      IlleststanceGangBang2011|TheThirdReich|DoctorMeatDoesHousecalls|ATEP|WTH:VolkswagenGF2011Survivor|YourPriusIsNotGreen|My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MurryEB View Post
      Doctor Meat is doing a housecall right now