Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Deleting PCV Systems

Vehicles
      Bagged B5.5, MKV Jetta
      03-22-2012 06:28 PM #1
      Since I have a bunch of cracked breather hoses and such, I replaced them with rubber hoses. Is there anyway to delete the whole PCV systme? I hear about this with different models of VWs. but not sure how to actually do it. In Wisconsin where I live I dont have to go through E-Mission so thats not going to be a problem. Any ideas, Dyi, or each things I would need would be great.

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      03-22-2012 10:01 PM #2
      You want a certain amount of positive crankcase ventilation to be going on. This is done not just for emissions, but to ventilate harmful vapors out of the engine. The 1.8t is sludge-prone to begin with.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      03-23-2012 08:55 AM #3
      I've never heard of anyone deleting the PCV....
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      03-23-2012 09:50 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      I've never heard of anyone deleting the PCV....
      People do it all the time. They don't understand everything the system does for the engine and they know it's an emissions related system so they figure they must be better off without it. They cut & cap everything and the engine still runs so they figure they've done good.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 passat 1.8T atw
      03-23-2012 11:53 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by uNLeaSHeD. View Post
      In Wisconsin where I live I dont have to go through E-Mission.
      why is it that no one in wisconsin has to go through emissions except me? this sucks and im moving.

Vehicles
      Bagged B5.5, MKV Jetta
      03-23-2012 06:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by john prusinski View Post
      why is it that no one in wisconsin has to go through emissions except me? this sucks and im moving.
      LOL, I know that Kenosha (where I lived before) had E-missions but now they are getting rid of it for some reason.

Also I have V6, so I dont think it has the slug problem, but other then capping it completly off you can put mini cone filters on it. Would this still be somthing that can work. I mean, I dont want to pay 100 and some bucks to replace the hoses that are already cracked and broken, acouple local vw and audi owners I know told me to just delete it.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 2d S,S,&N CSG; 2012 Touareg TDi; 2010 Mustang GT, 2000 Beetle Turbo Baja
      03-23-2012 08:46 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by uNLeaSHeD. View Post
      Also I have V6, so I dont think it has the slug problem, but other then capping it completly off you can put mini cone filters on it. Would this still be somthing that can work. I mean, I dont want to pay 100 and some bucks to replace the hoses that are already cracked and broken, acouple local vw and audi owners I know told me to just delete it.
      Trust me the V6 still sludges up pretty well, Pulled the pan off mine & the valve covers @ 54k...
      If you haven't run full synthetic the whole time its gonna have a pile in there...

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32, 2004 Passat GLS 4motion (Sold), 1995 Passat GLX (Sold), 1994 Jetta 8v ITB'ed (Sold)
      03-23-2012 10:19 PM #8
      I use a catch can using some stainless steel 10an lines and removed all those crappy plastic lines.

http://www.intengineering.com/billet...-06a-1-8t.html
      http://www.intengineering.com/billet...-mk4-2-0l.html

Vehicles
      Bagged B5.5, MKV Jetta
      03-24-2012 11:45 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
      I use a catch can using some stainless steel 10an lines and removed all those crappy plastic lines.

http://www.intengineering.com/billet...-06a-1-8t.html
      http://www.intengineering.com/billet...-mk4-2-0l.html
      Nice, Thats a good idea You got a pic under the hood?

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32, 2004 Passat GLS 4motion (Sold), 1995 Passat GLX (Sold), 1994 Jetta 8v ITB'ed (Sold)
      03-25-2012 12:00 AM #10
      None atm. My engine bay is a little bit of a mess. I'm in the process of redoing my boost piping since I'm going non-intercooler, running a large 225cc Water/Meth Nozzle after the turbocharger. That and redo of my vacuum & coolant system. Though I might make a thread just for that.