Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Left Lane News R Review

Vehicles
      '14 Audi S4 / '13 Infiniti G37
      03-23-2012 12:15 PM #1
      The letter R. To some people, it’s just the 18th letter of the alphabet. Or what a pirate says. But to Volkswagen, it’s the best a Golf can be.

Building on its previous Mk4 and Mk5 Golf R32 models, VW is now rolling out the third-generation of its hottest hatch, the Golf R. The Golf R’s overall concept remains very similar to its predecessors – make an already fun GTI even better – but the hatch’s formula has been tweaked to reflect the changing times.

Doing more with less
      Whereas VW’s previous Golf R models used a 3.2L V6 for motivation, the latest Golf R uses an up-rated version of the GTI’s 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder. Though down on cylinders, the Golf R actually trumps the last-generation R32 in power, producing 256 horsepower (up 6) and 243 lb-ft of torque (up 7).

All-wheel drive remains a Golf R staple, but VW has decided to ditch the R32′s exclusive DSG transmission for a proper six-speed manual gearbox. That’s right, an automatic transmission isn’t even on the Golf R’s option list.

And best of all, the Golf R let’s you have your cake and eat it too. The Golf R is rated at 19 mpg city and 27 mpg highway, besting the less powerful R32 by 1 and 4 mpg, respectively.

Wolf in sheep’s clothing
      As with previous Golf R models, the 2012 version of the car doesn’t stand out with overt wings or air scoops. Rather VW took a wolf in sheep’s clothing approach, equipping the Golf R with a subtle body kit and modestly-styled 18-inch wheels. The only giveaways that this Golf is special are ‘R’ badges and center-mounted dual exhaust outlets.

Some might complain that the Golf R is too subdued, but keep in mind the Germans don’t exactly do over-the-top. Unpimp my ride indeed.

That styling philosophy carries over into the Golf R’s interior, with most parts carried over from the Golf GTI. The Golf R does, however, get unique ‘R’ stitching on the front head and ‘R’ sill covers.

GTI+
      The Golf R doesn’t leap from a standstill like the former R32 models, but the turbocharged engine does build power quickly. Think of it as the calm before the storm.

VW says the Golf R reaches peak torque at a low 2,400 rpm, but things don’t really get going until the needle sweeps past the 3,000 mark. From there power steadily builds throughout the range, with max horsepower coming on at 6,000 rpm.

The Golf R’s AWD system ensures all of that power hits the pavement in an orderly fashion, but part of us missed the wheel-spinning drama you get in a GTI. We didn’t lament for long, though, as the Golf R’s AWD system slingshots the car from 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and provides an amazing surefootedness through any twist or turn. And, really, if you want to have a tire-smoking good time, you can still buy a GTI.

The power of the Golf R’s drivetrain is literally put in the palm of you hand via a smooth-shifting six-speed manual. Normally we can find at least one fault with a manual gearbox, but we couldn’t come up with a single knock against the unit used in the Golf R. Shifts are short and precises, and even the clutch is light and predictable to use. And we can’t even begin to describe how refreshing it is to see a car offered exclusively with a manual rather than some form of a semi-automatic gearbox.

The Golf R’s steering isn’t quite as precise as its gearbox, though, with VW’s electronic setup resulting in a somewhat vague feeling at turn in. However, the system feels well-suited overall for the Golf R’s sporty nature.

The Golf R we get on these shores lacks the adjustable suspension of the Euro-spec car – a move to keep costs down – but we never felt shortchanged on the winding roads of Northern California. The Golf R rides like a normal hatch during routine driving, but transforms into a canyon-carver whenever you feel the need. The car’s aforementioned AWD system also virtually eliminates any hint of understeer.

Our one ax to grind with the Golf R is the lack of a decent soundtrack. Those dual outlets out back would have you think that the Golf R is a screamer at speed, but it simply isn’t. Truth be told the Jetta GLI makes better sounds than the Golf R. Part of that can probably be chalked up to the Golf R’s price point – boy racers probably won’t be dropping more than 36 grand on a hot hatch – but we think it’s an oversight on VW’s part. However, we’re sure the aftermarket will take care of that shortcoming.

On the whole, the Golf R really is a GTI+ to drive.

Hot rod for the family man
      The allure of any hot hatch is the combination of practicality and performance, but VW’s former Golf R products weren’t as people-friendly as they could have been. If you wanted an R32, you were forced to deal with having just two doors.

But VW has corrected that issue with the Golf R by offering both two- and four-door body styles, transforming the hatch into a true hot rod for the family man. However, you better have a talk with the family before splurging on a Golf R.

The two-door version of the Golf R lists from $34,760, which is a healthy increase over the $24,765 VW charges for the GTI. Opt for the four-door version of the Golf R – which comes equipped with navigation and a sunroof – and the price jumps to $36,860. Navigation and a sunroof, the Golf R’s only options, can be added to the two-door version for $1,500.

Although pricey, we doubt any of the 5,000 Golf Rs VW plans to import over the 2012 and 2013 model years will have any issues finding a home.

Leftlane’s bottom line
      While there may be faster ( Subaru WRX STI) and cheaper ( Mazdaspeed3) hot hatches on the market, we have yet to come across one that does everything as well as the Golf R, which is quiet, comfortable and plenty quick.

We’d pause at the Golf R’s luxury car-like price tag, but if you’ve got a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket, there are worse ways to spend.

2012 Volkswagen Golf R base price range, $34,760 to $36,860.

Words and photos by Drew Johnson.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      CSG 4dr .:R
      03-23-2012 12:52 PM #2
      Good to see someone finally gets it.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf [R] Candy White, '95E34 (gone), '92 Corrado VR6 (gone), '10 CC Rline (stolen) & many more
      03-23-2012 01:04 PM #3
      pizza
      2013 CW Golf [R] 4dr / GIAC Stage 1 93oct / Evolution Motorsport CAI / B&G Coilovers / 18x8 et41 Polished Interlagos

Rejean Sucre > Internet Sales Director > Clearlake VW www.clearlakevw.net > cell-281-468-4025 Instagram " Rejean_ "

Vehicles
      '99 Passat / 337 / '12 4DR R
      03-23-2012 01:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDriver View Post
      Although pricey, we doubt any of the 5,000 Golf Rs VW plans to import over the 2012 and 2013 model years will have any issues finding a home.
      Did I miss that getting mentioned before - that some would be branded as 2013s?

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 01:07 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by EZ View Post
      Did I miss that getting mentioned before - that some would be branded as 2013s?
      Yup! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...details-inside!

6. 03-23-2012 01:25 PM #6
      "Hot rod for the family man" << bingo

Vehicles
      '99 Passat / 337 / '12 4DR R
      03-23-2012 01:42 PM #7
      Very interesting, thanks.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4 door CSG
      03-23-2012 02:02 PM #8
      Good review except they say the GTI is only $24k. An optioned GTI Autobahn is ~$31K...

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-23-2012 02:20 PM #9
      Taking just the content like that from a website is actually copyright infringement. I'm sure the content owners would much rather you just link to their content.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...ve-review.html

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R - DBP
      03-23-2012 02:58 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      Taking just the content like that from a website is actually copyright infringement. I'm sure the content owners would much rather you just link to their content.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...ve-review.html
      It has been pretty well established that copying an article for informational purposes is not copyright infringement (Righthaven learned this lesson the hard way):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_...Limitation_Act

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-23-2012 03:05 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by scottiedogg View Post
      It has been pretty well established that copying an article for informational purposes is not copyright infringement (Righthaven learned this lesson the hard way):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_...Limitation_Act
      Wiki is hardly a defense. I'm sure I could pull case law showing the opposite but that's not the point. Beyond the law it's a dick move to pull content, and therefor traffic, from the owner of said content.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      03-23-2012 03:28 PM #12
      I actually disagree with the knock on the exhaust. It may be that I'm in the demographic they were considering when they designed the car for Europe. Its a good blend of comfortable levels during cruising and a little more wild at WOT. One surprising aspect of the exhaust is the external sound at idle. In parking garages it produces a lot of rumble just sitting there. In my driveway it sets off some of my daughter's motion activated toys in her room.
      Last edited by VWPDX; 03-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, RB, 4DR, Loaded
      03-23-2012 03:53 PM #13
      Great review

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      03-23-2012 04:07 PM #14
      Do not like.

As for the exhaust, like you say, if you can afford to spend nearly $40k on a car you've probably matured enough that you don't want it to sound like a Honda Civic.
      Last edited by jsausley; 03-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-23-2012 04:46 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPDX View Post
      I actually disagree with the knock on the exhaust. It may be that I'm in the demographic they were considering when they designed the car for Europe. Its a good blend of comfortable levels during cruising and a little more wild at WOT. One surprising aspect of the exhaust is the external sound at idle. In parking garages it produces a lot of rumble just sitting there. In my driveway it sets off some of my daughter's motion activated toys in her room.
      I love the way it sounds stock ! I am actually thinking about not doing the turbo back exhaust. I will probably just do the downpipe for a few extra HP.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 04:51 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
      As for the exhaust, like you say, if you can afford to spend nearly $40k on a car you've probably matured enough that you don't want it to sound like a Honda Civic.
      +1! I like the fact that the R looks and sounds subdued.

Vehicles
      337, R
      03-23-2012 06:18 PM #17
      Now that i have been driving my R for about 5 weeks, i have a couple gripes. Low gear torque seems nearly absent. I tend to hit the rev limiter because its just "not there" in first. Also, the "bump steer" is frightening. I noticed the "loose" suspension early, but it gets down right scary if you hit a dip/bump while cornering. Would euro spec springs and a chip help these issues?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-23-2012 06:30 PM #18
      A flash will definitely cure what ails ya with your first gripe but you go though first and second ridiculously fast then too

Quote Originally Posted by homercles337 View Post
      Now that i have been driving my R for about 5 weeks, i have a couple gripes. Low gear torque seems nearly absent. I tend to hit the rev limiter because its just "not there" in first. Also, the "bump steer" is frightening. I noticed the "loose" suspension early, but it gets down right scary if you hit a dip/bump while cornering. Would euro spec springs and a chip help these issues?
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3