Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 42 of 42

    Thread: Quick info for various .308 semi

    1. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Work...
      Posts
      2,781
      Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      03-28-2012 12:46 AM #26
      When I think .308 semi, I think of (my personal short list):

      M1A: Either standard barrel, SAI Loaded (Certain NM goodies w/o the full NM price) or Scout 18" barrel.

      FAL: Right Arm of the Free World. I'd want either an Israeli HBAR or a Rhodesian/SA clone.

      G3/HK91/PTR91: PTR91 GI; under 1k, handles all commercial and surplus 308/762, classic green furniture, and you get to do the karate chop on the charging handle.

      Now, these 3 are all considered 'battle rifles' and aren't as accurate as a SASS or accurized platform, but I'm okay with that.

    2. 04-01-2012 05:49 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      G3/HK91/PTR91: PTR91 GI; under 1k, handles all commercial and surplus 308/762, classic green furniture, and you get to do the karate chop on the charging handle.
      Added the PTR91, one thing I noticed on the website was that most 16 inch barrels had welded muzzle devices, and that many of them had fixed magazines.
      Does reloading require to move the handle back when out of ammo, loading new magazine, then karate chopping the handle? (I have never handled one)

    3. 04-01-2012 07:24 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post

      I know there was a lot of talk about trying to convince FNH to make the SCAR-17 take PMAG 20's....which I think would be awesome, but I doubt it'll happen.
      Why would they do that when Magpul is going to make SCAR mags?

    4. 04-01-2012 09:49 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by gotta_jet View Post
      Why would they do that when Magpul is going to make SCAR mags?
      That would be sweet. I would also like to see the Massoud but we are more likely to see the world end than see the Massoud in production.

    5. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Work...
      Posts
      2,781
      Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      04-02-2012 04:10 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      Added the PTR91, one thing I noticed on the website was that most 16 inch barrels had welded muzzle devices, and that many of them had fixed magazines.
      Does reloading require to move the handle back when out of ammo, loading new magazine, then karate chopping the handle? (I have never handled one)
      PTR makes 'compliant' models for various states (like the PRK where I'm at ) but not too sure about the 16" and welded devices and fixed mags... Honestly, with .308, stick to 18"+ at least. The GI seems to be one of the better models, also least expensive, because it has the fluting to handle both commercial and milsurp rounds. The other models had trouble with shallower fluting and residue from the tar sealed South African and NATO 762.

      As far as manual of arms, it will go like this (keep in mind, no last-shot-hold-open):
      -Mag is emptied *click*
      -Pull charging handle back and lock into place
      -Drop empty mag
      -Insert fresh mag
      -Do the 'HK chop' (slap charging handle down out of locked position and let it go forward to chamber the round) and continue having fun.


    6. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Work...
      Posts
      2,781
      Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      04-02-2012 04:26 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      Skip to 12m30s

      I will not buy an AR10 unless I can have that "accessory"

      Haa, check out the original OTB test.
      Fun Fact: That's Eugene Stoner in the vid. Also, I wish the AR15's charging handle remained on top like the original AR10. For me it would seem a little more ergonomic as your hand is a little farther forward and closer to the trigger group.

      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      That would be sweet. I would also like to see the Massoud but we are more likely to see the world end than see the Massoud in production.
      Massoud is essentially the Bushmaster/RemDef ACR isn't it? Except without a lot of the Massoud features...

    7. 04-02-2012 05:57 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      Fun Fact: That's Eugene Stoner in the vid. Also, I wish the AR15's charging handle remained on top like the original AR10. For me it would seem a little more ergonomic as your hand is a little farther forward and closer to the trigger group.



      Massoud is essentially the Bushmaster/RemDef ACR isn't it? Except without a lot of the Massoud features...
      Yeah, pretty much a 7.62 Masada (ACR)

    8. 04-02-2012 06:00 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      -Mag is emptied *click*
      -Pull charging handle back and lock into place
      -Drop empty mag
      -Insert fresh mag
      -Do the 'HK chop' (slap charging handle down out of locked position and let it go forward to chamber the round) and continue having fun.

      Pretty cool, thanks. I was just reading about roller and lever delayed blowback, pretty interesting stuff.

    9. Member corradokyd's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 1999
      Location
      Baltimore MD
      Posts
      7,128
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      04-05-2012 01:17 PM #34
      My buddy has a LRB M1A and I really love that rifle. I just cant see past the 2500$ price, the fact it is only recommended to fire surp stuff because of the primers in commercial ammo, and parts are only becoming more scarce. I have been looking at PTRs but I have yet to handle one. I was told to go for one chambered in 7.62 rather than the .308 so I can fire the surplus. The closest shop to me that carries them is 2 hours away and I figured Id swing by there this summer and cop a feel. All Ive heard is "never shot one, but people who have em like em."

    10. 04-06-2012 06:35 PM #35
      I thought .308 chambering can handle 7.62 but not the other way around. Like .223 in 5.56 is fine but not the other way around.

    11. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Work...
      Posts
      2,781
      Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      04-07-2012 08:22 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      I thought .308 chambering can handle 7.62 but not the other way around. Like .223 in 5.56 is fine but not the other way around.
      I heard .308 runs at a higher pressure than 7.62 but they can be used interchangeably as the difference is not as drastic/larger as the 223/556. You don't need one chamber over another.

    12. 03-31-2013 04:51 PM #37
      Added the S&W M&P 10 and the Colt LE901-16S as well as updated some info on the SCAR 17s.

    13. Member 00boraslow's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Lower Burrell, PA
      Posts
      7,281
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      04-01-2013 08:27 AM #38
      I went with a Larue OBR (18" barrel), a Surefire suppressor and US Optics scope.

      PSN: Glock23man

    14. 04-01-2013 11:53 AM #39
      That looks really nice. Congrats.

    15. Member 1lojet1281's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2003
      Location
      Huntsville, AL
      Posts
      1,242
      Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      04-01-2013 01:00 PM #40
      the PTR 91 is actually an extremely nice clone of the G3 (which is just a clone of the CETME) they are on par with the German built G3's as far as quality goes. the G3 style rifles that gave all of them a "bad name" were the Century arms built "G3" rifles (they were mostly made from CETME parts, not G3 parts) they were hit or miss as far as quality, like so many of the century arms built "parts kit " guns. they are soft shooting (and heavy) guns, very accurate and are an ideal platform for suppression because they are not gas operated.

      the only commercial gun that is a sure thing would be the PTR 91, there are many good century built "G3's" but you have to do some research before buying one so you will know what to look for. The third option is to source a parts kit, buy a receiver flat and compliance parts and build your own. its not for the novice, but it can be done and is one of the most rewarding guns I've ever built. also, before all this craziness, magazines were available for under $2 each if you bought in bulk, makes hoarding them a lot easier on the wallet

    16. 04-09-2013 01:13 PM #41
      One thing I wished the "AR10/SR25 type" 308 rifles out there would have is commonality. I wish it was a lot like the AR15 type rifles were most parts are easily interchangeable. I got to handle a Colt LE901 and it was pretty nice but a ton of stuff is proprietary (charging handle, barrel nut, pin locations). It does have a couple of features that I thought were nice like monolithic rail, ambi release for bolt and magazine, and comes with a PMAG. Colt also used small pins so a trigger change would be easy. . I think I might get it.

    17. Member Vee-Dubber-GLI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Work...
      Posts
      2,781
      Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      04-09-2013 04:39 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      One thing I wished the "AR10/SR25 type" 308 rifles out there would have is commonality. I wish it was a lot like the AR15 type rifles were most parts are easily interchangeable. I got to handle a Colt LE901 and it was pretty nice but a ton of stuff is proprietary (charging handle, barrel nut, pin locations). It does have a couple of features that I thought were nice like monolithic rail, ambi release for bolt and magazine, and comes with a PMAG. Colt also used small pins so a trigger change would be easy. . I think I might get it.
      That seems to be the biggest issue with AR-type .308s, no baseline for commonality like with a .223/5.56; you have the AR10/Armalite camp and then the LR308/SR25/DPMS camp and it seems building to one of those two specs. As long as you know what company supports what spec, it's fairly straightforward, it's just the initial research that gets confusing.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •