Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick info for various .308 semi

Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      04-07-2012 09:22 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      I thought .308 chambering can handle 7.62 but not the other way around. Like .223 in 5.56 is fine but not the other way around.
      I heard .308 runs at a higher pressure than 7.62 but they can be used interchangeably as the difference is not as drastic/larger as the 223/556. You don't need one chamber over another.

2. 03-31-2013 05:51 PM #37
      Added the S&W M&P 10 and the Colt LE901-16S as well as updated some info on the SCAR 17s.

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      04-01-2013 09:27 AM #38
      I went with a Larue OBR (18" barrel), a Surefire suppressor and US Optics scope.

PSN: Glock23man

4. 04-01-2013 12:53 PM #39
      That looks really nice. Congrats.

Vehicles
      03 Passat Wagon
      04-01-2013 02:00 PM #40
      the PTR 91 is actually an extremely nice clone of the G3 (which is just a clone of the CETME) they are on par with the German built G3's as far as quality goes. the G3 style rifles that gave all of them a "bad name" were the Century arms built "G3" rifles (they were mostly made from CETME parts, not G3 parts) they were hit or miss as far as quality, like so many of the century arms built "parts kit " guns. they are soft shooting (and heavy) guns, very accurate and are an ideal platform for suppression because they are not gas operated.

the only commercial gun that is a sure thing would be the PTR 91, there are many good century built "G3's" but you have to do some research before buying one so you will know what to look for. The third option is to source a parts kit, buy a receiver flat and compliance parts and build your own. its not for the novice, but it can be done and is one of the most rewarding guns I've ever built. also, before all this craziness, magazines were available for under $2 each if you bought in bulk, makes hoarding them a lot easier on the wallet

6. 04-09-2013 02:13 PM #41
      One thing I wished the "AR10/SR25 type" 308 rifles out there would have is commonality. I wish it was a lot like the AR15 type rifles were most parts are easily interchangeable. I got to handle a Colt LE901 and it was pretty nice but a ton of stuff is proprietary (charging handle, barrel nut, pin locations). It does have a couple of features that I thought were nice like monolithic rail, ambi release for bolt and magazine, and comes with a PMAG. Colt also used small pins so a trigger change would be easy. . I think I might get it.

Vehicles
      Negative Scene Points :(
      04-09-2013 05:39 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by gtguard View Post
      One thing I wished the "AR10/SR25 type" 308 rifles out there would have is commonality. I wish it was a lot like the AR15 type rifles were most parts are easily interchangeable. I got to handle a Colt LE901 and it was pretty nice but a ton of stuff is proprietary (charging handle, barrel nut, pin locations). It does have a couple of features that I thought were nice like monolithic rail, ambi release for bolt and magazine, and comes with a PMAG. Colt also used small pins so a trigger change would be easy. . I think I might get it.
      That seems to be the biggest issue with AR-type .308s, no baseline for commonality like with a .223/5.56; you have the AR10/Armalite camp and then the LR308/SR25/DPMS camp and it seems building to one of those two specs. As long as you know what company supports what spec, it's fairly straightforward, it's just the initial research that gets confusing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12