Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need help building a DIY POV mount for rifles/shotguns

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      03-25-2012 07:03 PM #1
      I want to get some POV footage down the sights of shotguns and rifles on a camping trip next month. The video doesn't necessarily have to be directly down the sites but the closer the better. Maybe right above so the weapon can still be aimed. I have a few pieces I can use from photography stuff, mainly a bogen super clamp and two mounts to put speedlites and umbrellas on top of light stands.

Difficulty: I don't have a video camera or SLR that shoots video. This will be using either a P&S camera or an iphone/droid.

I am envisioning a flat piece of material with two sides and the phone/P&S will be held in place with thick rubber bands. Maybe a few cutouts on the back to check focus and start/stop filming. As far as actually mounting it to the stock of the weapon I don't have many ideas.

Any advice?

2. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-25-2012 07:45 PM #3

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 07:47 PM #4
      Almost perfect minus the cost of a gopro! Maybe I can justify the cost of a used one on ebay.

I was hoping to have something come up the side of the stock rather than the top. That way some line of sight down the sights would be maintained.

4. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-25-2012 07:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Almost perfect minus the cost of a gopro! Maybe I can justify the cost of a used one on ebay.

I was hoping to have something come up the side of the stock rather than the top. That way some line of sight down the sights would be maintained.
      I also posted an alternative for you to use your phone, or a phone.

Think out side the box.

Use that clamp upside down and point the camera down the bottom of the barrel.

Or use the clamp upside down and use one of these to swing the camera up and around the side of the gun..

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-237H...6&sr=8-2-spell

Basically when it comes to clamping a camera to something that is going to be moving or being jerked (as in the gun bucking) you don't want to go with cheap clamp/tripod parts.

I suggest getting a go pro because at least with that, it'll be in a shock resistant armor. With the phone setup there is a chance of your phone being thrown by the recoil of the gun.

5. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-25-2012 07:55 PM #6
      The above listed is your cheapest option. IMO.

Or you could go this route:

Manfrotto Super Clamp
      http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-035R...d_bxgy_p_img_b

and

Manfrotto Magic Arm
      http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-244-...d_bxgy_p_img_b

But that setup is going to cost you about $150

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 08:30 PM #7
      I already have two super clamps so I am good on that. I just need to make sure it opens wide enough to fit around the stock behind the receiver. I'll have to shop around a few photo forums and see if I can get a magic arm on the cheap(er) used.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 08:34 PM #8
      I also just noticed that a head mount is made for the GoPro. That may not be a bad option either.

8. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-25-2012 08:39 PM #9
      I also just noticed that a head mount is made for the GoPro. That may not be a bad option either.
      True, you'd just need a GoPro

And the video will be a bit shaky.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 08:54 PM #10
      Yeah I figured. Nothing I can do for cheap will produce non-shaky video with the firearms being used. Semi-auto shotgun and a WWII rifle that I can get about 40rnds through before I have a bruise on my shoulder.

10. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-25-2012 08:58 PM #11
      Yeah I figured. Nothing I can do for cheap will produce non-shaky video with the firearms being used. Semi-auto shotgun and a WWII rifle that I can get about 40rnds through before I have a bruise on my shoulder.
      I still vote that "c-clamp" set up or the Manfrotto clamp. Those will be spot on, straight, and perfect.

There are a few things I've thought up for a cool firearms related POV video. But they involve some in depth After Effects work, so I'm not sure you'd understand if I started rambling on about it.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 09:06 PM #12
      Maybe when I finally get my hands on a Canon 5DmkII and start working with video for the first time in ~8 years. If you rambled in photoshop I'd probably get it. However, the last time I did any video it was with a Bolex.

I'll be shopping around tomorrow for gopros and I'll probably end up doing the C clamp

12. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-25-2012 09:09 PM #13
      Maybe when I finally get my hands on a Canon 5DmkII and start working with video for the first time in ~8 years. If you rambled in photoshop I'd probably get it. However, the last time I did any video it was with a Bolex.

I'll be shopping around tomorrow for gopros and I'll probably end up doing the C clamp
      If you finally decide to get a DSLR. Go with the 7D, much better for video.

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 01:29 AM #14
      Really? I figured the 5d would be tops. I'll probably go with a 5d either way being I'd use it to do stills a lot more often than video. I just need to unload my last pro DSLR.

14. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-26-2012 01:44 AM #15
      Really? I figured the 5d would be tops. I'll probably go with a 5d either way being I'd use it to do stills a lot more often than video. I just need to unload my last pro DSLR.
      The 7D has better video options like the ability to capture video at 60 FPS for slow-mo and such.

The 5D MKIII allows you the same, but for a LOT more money. However it is a better stills camera. No one will argue other wise.

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 10:39 AM #16
      Hmm. 60fps would be nice. I doubt I'll have 5DmkIII money anytime soon though. Of course that all depends on how hard I take it in the rear when I sell my 1DmkIII.