Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1990 Mazda Miata 93k miles $4,250 or reasonable offer in Scranton, PA

1. Member
      Brooklyn, NY, but my heart's still in Scranton
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      03-25-2012 11:01 PM #1
      I'm selling my Mariner Blue 1990 Mazda Miata. 1.6L engine, 5 speed, entirely stock except for the stereo. Just over 93,000 miles. PRICE DROP! Now asking $4,250 or reasonable offer in Scranton, PA.

This car has no rust whatsoever -- none on the body, and none on the undercarriage. I've provided a link to a Photobucket album with dozens of pictures of the underside. The floors, suspension components, and unibody rails are flawless. Despite being located in the Northeast, this car has never seen winter use.

The soft top is in excellent condition. The interior is excellent, with the only modification being a slightly cheesy Sony CD headunit with 1/8" input jack. The stereo works well and can easily be heard with the top down at speed, and the headrest speakers still work. The original seats, steering wheel, and carpets are all intact and in excellent condition. No cracks on the dashboard and no flaws on the door cards.

The paint seems to have had what I'd call a "driver quality" respray not long ago. There are a few small flaws, most notably some slight trunk lid peeling where they masked around the luggage rack instead of removing it. There is also some slight peeling in the door jambs and engine compartment -- I believe these areas are showing the original paint, and this was probably the reason for the respray. There are perhaps a half-dozen scratches on the entire car, and no dents or rust.

PROBLEMS:
      I replaced the original engine last summer after it suffered "short nose crank failure". This problem is unique to 1990 Miatas, and I replaced the engine with a 1993 1.6L (identical to the original except for a stronger crank nose) purchased from Planet Miata. Compression is 210/190/200/200.

The only other issues are minor -- it's riding on mis-matched tires on stock wheels (Sumitomo Srixions up front, Cooper CS4 Tourings in back) after I got 2 flat tires on a different set of wheels. The air conditioning needs recharging (this never bothered me because I usually have the top down). And the cruise control is temperamental (I may replace the CC computer if I can get my hands on one).

I've put over 12,000 miles on this Miata, including numerous trips to Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, DC, all without incident. In daily driving I get about 27 MPG city and 33-34 highway. It starts, runs, shifts and stops perfectly and is a joy to drive. I'm only selling it because I'm moving to a city and can't arrange secure parking.

Contact me at rss002 (at) jefferson (d0t) edu since I rarely check my PMs here. Over 100 photos available here on Photobucket

Last edited by Wellington P Funk; 03-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
      Editorial Assistant and Saturday writer at the tech blog Gizmodo, automotive freelancer with a heart of gold. Find me on Twitter (@rsorokanich), Facebook, or in any bar that serves Yuengling on draft.

My published work

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      03-27-2012 07:18 PM #2
      PRICE DROP! Now asking $4,250 cash!
      Editorial Assistant and Saturday writer at the tech blog Gizmodo, automotive freelancer with a heart of gold. Find me on Twitter (@rsorokanich), Facebook, or in any bar that serves Yuengling on draft.

My published work

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      03-30-2012 01:56 PM #3
      BUMP. Just drove from Scranton to Washington DC, then to Philadelphia, then to Syracuse NY, then back to Scranton over 2 days. 750+ miles without a hiccup. Odometer now reads 94,xxx.

My published work

4. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      03-31-2012 09:39 AM #4
      Wow what a great little car! I've always had a soft spot for early Miatas in smurf blue. Hard to believe it lived in the NE its whole life.

GLWS

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-01-2012 09:03 AM #5
      Sale pending.

My published work

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-01-2012 08:45 PM #6
      STILL AVAILABLE. Please email me at rss002@jefferson.edu since I don't always get to my PM's here.

My published work

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-07-2012 05:20 PM #7
      This car is still for sale. Make it yours! Email me!

My published work

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-16-2012 10:41 PM #8
      Bump for smurfy goodness.

My published work

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-20-2012 11:00 AM #9
      BUMP!

My published work

Vehicles
      His: 99.5 MKIV TR Golf, 1980 Triumph TR8 Hers: B5 Audi A4
      04-20-2012 11:36 AM #10
      looking for a trade at all?
      8V Society #49

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-24-2012 11:25 PM #11
      The short answer is, no, not interested in any trades. I just moved to a city where parking is hard to come by, and theft is an issue. That said, I will consider a partial trade for a rough but reliable beater I won't mind street parking, along with a good amount of cash.

My published work

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      04-27-2012 03:17 PM #12
      Let's make bumpy bumpy

My published work

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jeep Liberty
      05-06-2012 03:10 AM #13
      SOLD

My published work

Vehicles
      98 Avalon, pile o' Cannondales and a Surly
      05-07-2012 07:16 PM #14
      A big thanks to Mr. Funk for a painless purchase and the opportunity to own a TCL favorite.