Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1983 VW Rabbit GTI For Sale - MI

1. 03-26-2012 01:59 PM #1
      It's a sad day, but I unfortunately must part with my favorite toy. I've had it for 18 years and it was last painted in 1990. The car has been to quite a few car shows in MI. There is so much to list on this car, I can give a quick break down - if you want more, please email me or call me.

* 2.0 liter
      * 35734.3 miles
      * Ported intake and head
      * European down pipe and manifold with a 2" stainless steel exhaust
      * Ronal RC-10 turbo wheels (which are now out of production)
      * Billstein shocks with new speed lowering springs
      * Heavier sway bars, front and rear
      * 4-point row cage
      * Ricaro racing seat - which matches the stock interior (red)
      * Sound system you wouldn't believe
      * BBS full-body kit
      * Upper and lower stress bar in front
      * Cross-drilled front rotors with stainless steel brake lines in the front
      * Interior is near perfect
      * Exterior is black with a stripe that fades from yellow to red (nice thin stripe)
      * Much more...

Pictures are upon request - the website is not allowing me to add pics at this time (I'm new to this website). This car has rarely seen rain - never seen snow! It has been stored for 2 years - indoors, covered, and on carpet with being started periodically.

This is not a normal Rabbit - it IS a one of a kind. I would love to find another VW car lover - I want it to go to a good home.

Plus, if the purchase price is close to the asking price - I have a garage of parts that can go with the car. I.e., stock driver seat, extra motor, head, etc.

Price: $9,800 O.B.O.
      Contact me via email or my cell (810-813-5197, Jeff)
      Last edited by mk1jeff; 03-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.

2. 03-26-2012 02:21 PM #2
      Pics are posted on Craigslist - you can see it there if interested.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2923454688.html

3. 03-27-2012 10:56 PM #3
      it looks great and clean... but "one of a kind" and for 10.8k? can you justify these in any way? seems a LOT more than any other mki rabbit.

4. 03-27-2012 10:57 PM #4

some pic help.

5. 03-27-2012 11:49 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mk1jeff View Post
      It's a sad day, but I unfortunately must part with my favorite toy. I've had it for 18 years and it was last painted in 1990. The car has been to quite a few car shows in MI. There is so much to list on this car, I can give a quick break down - if you want more, please email me or call me.

* 2.0 liter
      * Ported intake and head
      * European down pipe and manifold with a 2" stainless steel exhaust
      * Ronal RC-10 turbo wheels (which are now out of production)
      * Billstein shocks with new speed lowering springs
      * Heavier sway bars, front and rear
      * 4-point row cage
      * Ricaro racing seat - which matches the stock interior (red)
      * Sound system you wouldn't believe
      * BBS full-body kit
      * Upper and lower stress bar in front
      * Cross-drilled front rotors with stainless steel brake lines in the front
      * Interior is near perfect
      * Exterior is black with a stripe that fades from yellow to red (nice thin stripe)
      * Much more...

Pictures are upon request - the website is not allowing me to add pics at this time (I'm new to this website). This car has rarely seen rain - never seen snow! It has been stored for 2 years - indoors, covered, and on carpet with being started periodically.

This is not a normal Rabbit - it IS a one of a kind. I would love to find another VW car lover - I want it to go to a good home.

Plus, if the purchase price is close to the asking price - I have a garage of parts that can go with the car. I.e., stock driver seat, extra motor, head, etc.

Price: $10,800 O.B.O.
      Contact me via email or my cell (810-813-5197, Jeff)
      also, few corrections:

-ronal r10 wheels
      -bilstein shocks
      -neuspeed springs
      -heavier sway bars? do you mean thicker?
      -recaro seats

i'm not particularly familiar with MKI's so someone more familiar can comment on the rest.
      Last edited by Dybz; 03-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.

6. 03-28-2012 05:38 PM #6
      Thanks for the pic help.

The sway bars a bigger diameter to stiffen it even more on the car. The one on the back now is a 25 mm, and I have a spare 28mm. It's stiffer than stock, front and rear, it's meant to handle. I used to autocross the car (when I first got it), so, this made it better for handling.

I believe this is a one of a kind. In all of my years involved with Volkswagens (which has spanned over 37 years), I haven't seen one done like this and be this clean/taken care of - and being driven.

Just in the suspension, there's $2000 and the wheels is another $1200 - which you cannot even get anymore. The stereo system is worth at least $3000+. It has low miles on it (35,000 or so). Yeah, I can justify a lot with this car.

I didn't know where to start with the price on the car, so, I'll be dropping the price to $9,800.

7. 03-28-2012 10:32 PM #7
      night bump

Surprised I'm not having more interest. Am I doing something wrong?

Vehicles
      1987 VW Golf
      03-29-2012 04:23 PM #8
      night bump

Surprised I'm not having more interest. Am I doing something wrong?
      I'll help. First off, very nice car. It looks to be in excellent condition, but your ad doesn't really justify why you're asking this much for the car. You have to be in detail spec about any and everything. 3 pictures for a car you want $9,800 is not gonna help anyone. You need pics of the exterior from every single corner, interior pics, more engine shots in detail, and especially undercarriage shots. A video of the car helps too with it running and driving, but is not really required. A rabbit where someone wants $9,800 for to me would have rare parts on it, a built motor, low miles, clean beyond belief and no rust whatsoever. I hope this helps. Good luck with your sale

9. 03-29-2012 05:24 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by honkey View Post
      you're asking way too much
      ok well, what you think the car is worth, I have seen junk/stock rabbit GTI's go for 3000 plus dollars and this is no JUNK car , Im not saying mine is the best car out there, but it is pretty dam nice, so tell me what you think....

10. 03-29-2012 05:26 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DjBij099 View Post
      I'll help. First off, very nice car. It looks to be in excellent condition, but your ad doesn't really justify why you're asking this much for the car. You have to be in detail spec about any and everything. 3 pictures for a car you want $9,800 is not gonna help anyone. You need pics of the exterior from every single corner, interior pics, more engine shots in detail, and especially undercarriage shots. A video of the car helps too with it running and driving, but is not really required. A rabbit where someone wants $9,800 for to me would have rare parts on it, a built motor, low miles, clean beyond belief and no rust whatsoever. I hope this helps. Good luck with your sale
      Hay thanks man I will get more pix of the car like you said over the weekend if the weather is nice and thanks again this helps.

11. 03-29-2012 05:26 PM #11
      ok well, what you think the car is worth, I have seen junk/stock rabbit GTI's go for 3000 plus dollars and this is no JUNK car , Im not saying mine is the best car out there, but it is pretty dam nice, so tell me what you think....
      you need to post more details like guy above said. you say "sound system you wouldn't believe"... i can believe this sound system:

doesn't mean i'ld want it.

12. 03-29-2012 05:27 PM #12
      kind of what i was getting at with "can you justify the price?"...

13. 03-29-2012 10:35 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Dybz View Post
      kind of what i was getting at with "can you justify the price?"...
      ok good one,my sound system dont look like that,I didnt go for that look, I went for sound and clarity, so ok, I will get more pix up soon then.

14. 03-30-2012 03:05 PM #14
      i'd say 5 grand at the most. you'll never get what you have into it or even close to that. just because people try to sell logs of crap here for 3 grand doesn't always mean they get that for it. alot of people either settle for less or find a sucker.
      DUDE ouch, thanks for the kick in the nuts, not to be a prick but the car is way worth more than that i would sell the wheels ,tires and the sound system for around that, I paid that for the car 18 or so years ago, cause of the way the car is and the shape it was in and still in , too bad a lot of the guys don't live hear in mi to see the car in person ,then things would change alot.

15. 03-30-2012 03:52 PM #15
      DUDE ouch, thanks for the kick in the nuts, not to be a prick but the car is way worth more than that i would sell the wheels ,tires and the sound system for around that, I paid that for the car 18 or so years ago, cause of the way the car is and the shape it was in and still in , too bad a lot of the guys don't live hear in mi to see the car in person ,then things would change alot.
      you'll get more $$ by parting a car out than selling it as one piece. it's always like that when modding. you keep saying it's worth all this money, but like others and myself have said... justify your claims. pictures, descriptions, specific on what kind of parts are installed, etc.

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit L
      03-30-2012 06:11 PM #16
      Where in Michigan are you located? If it's near by I'd love to come check it out. Id love to compare it to the nearly rust free 46k mile rabbit I purchased last summer for $2300.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      03-30-2012 06:14 PM #17
      Then part the car out. You NEVER get back what you put into a car when you sell it. Period.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

18. 03-30-2012 08:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 90Foxbox View Post
      Where in Michigan are you located? If it's near by I'd love to come check it out. Id love to compare it to the nearly rust free 46k mile rabbit I purchased last summer for $2300.
      I live in warren, just let me know we can figure something out of to meet at the house. no problem with that. And i will have my cabriolet and we can compare the two also it has 75 thou on it, and i have the window sticker also, and a guy that i know, would give me 6500 for it when im ready, if the GTI goes.

03-30-2012 09:38 PM #19
      mismatched seats, aftermarket sunroof? hmmm...
      stereo stuff is worth nothing to someone really interested in a gti for what its meant for..might as well pull it and sell it. Those ronals are pretty common, and sold for $99 a piece new all the time.
      Car mods are not an investment..so expect vary little % of what you paid back in a sale..esp. on a VW.
      It looks clean..but says your from MI, so undercarriage pics are mandatory + body kits hide rust. Dunno..without seeing it in person...I think 5k is pretty good for fairly standard late model gti with a few normal mods.
      MADSPEED

20. 03-30-2012 11:37 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by kweetech View Post
      mismatched seats, aftermarket sunroof? hmmm...
      stereo stuff is worth nothing to someone really interested in a gti for what its meant for..might as well pull it and sell it. Those ronals are pretty common, and sold for $99 a piece new all the time.
      Car mods are not an investment..so expect vary little % of what you paid back in a sale..esp. on a VW.
      It looks clean..but says your from MI, so undercarriage pics are mandatory + body kits hide rust. Dunno..without seeing it in person...I think 5k is pretty good for fairly standard late model gti with a few normal mods.
      Mismactched seats? The driver's seat is a ricaro seat matched to the factory color. You want the stock seat? I have that too - its perfect. If you can find me some of the ronal's let me know, they don't make them any more. And, if they are so common, how come I never see them at the car shows I've been at? Yeah the car is in Mich - that don't mean it's a rust bucket. The body kit is not there to hide rust -- give me a break. Why don't you come look at it and then tell me.
      ok, what's wrong with an aftermarket sun roof? It was on the car when I got it and it's a lot nicer than a stock one. Man, what is the prob? You guys jump all over a rabbit for 2500 -3000 bucks and its a POS, so here is a nice one and you guys think I'm trying to rip you guys off. I have nothing to hide on this car, so all you guys can say what you think that's fine. So if I still have the car or decide to keep it, and if you ever come to Mich and see it at a VW car show, you will say, oh DAM that's the car that I said he should sell it for 5000 obo. Boy was I wrong.
      I also have a 89 cabriolet that is all mostly stock and I show it also and its rust free and near perfect and it is hear in MI. Want pix up but don't know how to do it on this forum. Need to see it in person 'nuff said.... So if you can find one like this go buy it. I'm not being a jerk - I just stick up for what I know, so if this offends anybody I'm sorry.

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit L
      03-30-2012 11:58 PM #21
      I live in warren, just let me know we can figure something out of to meet at the house. no problem with that. And i will have my cabriolet and we can compare the two also it has 75 thou on it, and i have the window sticker also, and a guy that i know, would give me 6500 for it when im ready, if the GTI goes.
      Warren, cool that's not too far away. Are you gonna come out to Motorstadt or Euro Hanger later this year? Or do you ever cruise out to Woodward?

22. 03-31-2012 02:00 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 90Foxbox View Post
      Warren, cool that's not too far away. Are you gonna come out to Motorstadt or Euro Hanger later this year? Or do you ever cruise out to Woodward?

Ya we are not to far at all, I haven't been doing too much with the car showes in the past 2 yrs but all this car thing has me fired up, so if I keep the car I will be doing shows. Use to go on Woodward,hear and there, but I mostly go out here on gra**** ( you know the road ) . If I keep the car I have a few more things I want to do to it. We have to check out the cars since we are not far when the weather breaks.

03-31-2012 02:42 PM #23
      Mismactched seats? The driver's seat is a ricaro seat matched to the factory color. You want the stock seat? I have that too - its perfect. If you can find me some of the ronal's let me know, they don't make them any more. And, if they are so common, how come I never see them at the car shows I've been at? Yeah the car is in Mich - that don't mean it's a rust bucket. The body kit is not there to hide rust -- give me a break. Why don't you come look at it and then tell me.
      ok, what's wrong with an aftermarket sun roof? It was on the car when I got it and it's a lot nicer than a stock one. Man, what is the prob? You guys jump all over a rabbit for 2500 -3000 bucks and its a POS, so here is a nice one and you guys think I'm trying to rip you guys off. I have nothing to hide on this car, so all you guys can say what you think that's fine. So if I still have the car or decide to keep it, and if you ever come to Mich and see it at a VW car show, you will say, oh DAM that's the car that I said he should sell it for 5000 obo. Boy was I wrong.
      I also have a 89 cabriolet that is all mostly stock and I show it also and its rust free and near perfect and it is hear in MI. Want pix up but don't know how to do it on this forum. Need to see it in person 'nuff said.... So if you can find one like this go buy it. I'm not being a jerk - I just stick up for what I know, so if this offends anybody I'm sorry.
      Just telling you what I know from 20yrs of buying and selling vws.

Aftermarket sunroof, repainted, common wheels, mismatched seats (now if you had both recaros covered, would be sweet), not to mention other fairly common mods do not make an 8900 car. Plain and simple. $$ is in the details. If it og paint, og solid roof..it would actually be worth more. Clean original unmolested cars even worth more...
      Midwest vws are almost always harboring more rust that they show.
      BTW..quick search here finds 3 sets of Ronal r10 Turbos for sale in the last month...NIB set went for $600. You can actually get some of the RARE phase 1's for $1400..two sets listed.

You wanted to know why no one was interested at your price...just giving you some info..don't be offended.
      MADSPEED

Vehicles
      1984 Rabbit L
      03-31-2012 03:29 PM #24
      Ya we are not to far at all, I haven't been doing too much with the car showes in the past 2 yrs but all this car thing has me fired up, so if I keep the car I will be doing shows. Use to go on Woodward,hear and there, but I mostly go out here on gra**** ( you know the road ) . If I keep the car I have a few more things I want to do to it. We have to check out the cars since we are not far when the weather breaks.

Hey check out michiganvw.org if you're not a member already. Lots of info on the shows I mentioned in my earlier post.

GLWS.

25. 04-01-2012 12:16 PM #25

Aftermarket sunroof, repainted, common wheels, mismatched seats (now if you had both recaros covered, would be sweet), not to mention other fairly common mods do not make an 8900 car. Plain and simple. $$ is in the details. If it og paint, og solid roof..it would actually be worth more. Clean original unmolested cars even worth more...
      BTW..quick search here finds 3 sets of Ronal r10 Turbos for sale in the last month...NIB set went for $600. You can actually get some of the RARE phase 1's for $1400..two sets listed.

You wanted to know why no one was interested at your price...just giving you some info..don't be offended.
      well i may try to get the car out today to take some pix, i dont know how to load them on this sight so if you want to see some send me an e mail or something, then mabey i wont get riped on about this car, so if it dont rain i will get some pix

26. 04-01-2012 12:17 PM #26

well i may try to get the car out today to take some pix, i dont know how to load them on this sight so if you want to see some send me an e mail or something, then mabey i wont get riped on about this car, so if it don't rain i will get some pix

27. 04-01-2012 10:04 PM #27
      Hay guys, I am takeing a lot of crap on my car for sale, but i did get some more pix of out side today if you want some just let me know, I can send them over through E MAIL or the phone. Cant figure out how to put them on this web sight. thanks jeff
      Last edited by mk1jeff; 04-01-2012 at 10:08 PM.

28. 04-02-2012 10:25 PM #28
      i'm not trying to be a hater man, i was just giving my opinion. it's worth as much as someone wants to buy it for. personally for me though it's worth 4g +- at the most. a completely stock car with low miles would be worth 5 to me.

i know i said 5g earlier but i was thinking about what i want and i would remove the stereo and aftermarket sunroof right off the bat so 5 seemed too generous.
      I don't want to get into a pissing match with any body but, Dude why would you take out the nice sunroof, then what would you do weld up the roof,not cool, And take out the stereo system that's not blinged out, done with class nice and clean,man what is with you guys on this sight, I thought that this sight was cool at first but I'm starting think I was wrong, and for people to tell me my car is worth $4-5 grand come on. All this talk and nobody has seen the car in person. I'm glad I did not put my stock 89 cabriolet on here, stock paint, stock interior ,stock motor, with working air, and 75thou miles on it,oh and NO RUST, you guys would tell me its worth 1000 bucks. I just don't get you guys

29. 04-03-2012 04:09 PM #29
      Hey man I think you're taking this the wrong way. Im not crapping on your car.its nice but.you asked and I gave you my opinion bars in that I want. I think you're car is kind of common and I do t see anything to justify the high price. Its not just me man everyone else thinks so. You'd have a better chance of selling it somewhere else.

Also I like stock cars. I would replace the sun roof back to stock and tear out the stereo because that's how I am. None of my cars has a stereo. A stock car with low miles is more rare and worth the price.
      Well go on cregestlist Chicgo, there is one a guy is selling a stock rabbit GTI for 6,500 and it's RUFF seems to need a lot of work,go look at that car and you tell me that my car is worth 4-5 grand DON'T THINK SO SORRY, if my car is soooo common why have not I seen any at any car shows in the past they are fading away,maybe out of this state (MI) so i beleave the way I built the car It was done nice and clean and I dont think its so common. I'm not giving it away. never had a problem with this car till i got on this sight!!!!!!

30. 04-03-2012 04:11 PM #30
      Well go on cregestlist Chicgo, there is one a guy is selling a stock rabbit GTI for 6,500 and it's RUFF seems to need a lot of work,go look at that car and you tell me that my car is worth 4-5 grand DON'T THINK SO SORRY, if my car is soooo common why have not I seen any at any car shows in the past they are fading away,maybe out of this state (MI) so i beleave the way I built the car It was done nice and clean and I dont think its so common. I'm not giving it away. never had a problem with this car till i got on this sight!!!!!!
      Oh, if it sounds like I'm being a prick I'm really not, I just stick up for how or what I know and I say how I feel.

31. 04-04-2012 09:03 AM #31
      i deleted all my other posts because it's not about me and what i think your cars worth. it's about you selling your car. i didn't mean for it to be a pissing match about this and that man. good luck with your sale.

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit C, '91 Golf Country, '92 Porsche 965, '07 BMW 116i RHD, TDI's
      04-04-2012 07:21 PM #32
      If it og paint, og solid roof..it would actually be worth more. Clean original unmolested cars even worth more...

This.

Jeff, it sounds like just about everyone's giving you advice along the same lines. Believe it or not, they're really not tearing into you that bad (for this site). In fact, it's probably some of the most constructive criticism I've seen here.

No doubt, the car appears CLEAN. But, when you're selling on a national/international site you're appealing to potential buyers that may not be able to view the car locally. More detailed pics, including the underside of the car are necessary. Get a photobucket account and if you don't feel like posting all the pics here, post a link to your album. I also suggest removing some of your personal touches. Sell them separately. The more stock the car, the more people it will appeal to. Believe it or not, you'll end up getting more for it in the end. Period accessories are good, keep them. Match the seats and offer the Recaro as an optional item to the buyer.

Here's a link to my For Sale thread for my '78 Rabbit with 26k original miles:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...iles.-Florida.

And, one of my other FS threads with before and after pics:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Country-Syncro

If all else fails, put it on Ebay. Let the market determine what the car's worth. Most people on this site don't like to spend a lot of money ... even on cars that deserve their asking price. I hope this helped. Good luck with your sale.

P.S. An Arbor's a wh0re.

33. 04-05-2012 10:50 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbocurious View Post
      This.

Jeff, it sounds like just about everyone's giving you advice along the same lines. Believe it or not, they're really not tearing into you that bad (for this site). In fact, it's probably some of the most constructive criticism I've seen here.

No doubt, the car appears CLEAN. But, when you're selling on a national/international site you're appealing to potential buyers that may not be able to view the car locally. More detailed pics, including the underside of the car are necessary. Get a photobucket account and if you don't feel like posting all the pics here, post a link to your album. I also suggest removing some of your personal touches. Sell them separately. The more stock the car, the more people it will appeal to. Believe it or not, you'll end up getting more for it in the end. Period accessories are good, keep them. Match the seats and offer the Recaro as an optional item to the buyer.

Here's a link to my For Sale thread for my '78 Rabbit with 26k original miles:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...iles.-Florida.

And, one of my other FS threads with before and after pics:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Country-Syncro

If all else fails, put it on Ebay. Let the market determine what the car's worth. Most people on this site don't like to spend a lot of money ... even on cars that deserve their asking price. I hope this helped. Good luck with your sale.

P.S. An Arbor's a wh0re.
      WOW,nice cars man look real good,well I think if it don't sell I will keep it and enjoy it again, I just cant see giving it away cheep, the car is super nice in person and it is worth more than 4-5 grand, its just the pix don't do it any good. And I do have the stock drivers seat and its like new, that would go with the car, I just cant see striping it down, it is just WAY TO NICE for that, and to clean,I could put the stock flares on it and stock bumpers and things like that, but then it will just be a rabbit GTI, that's why I did it nice and clean, nothing to crazy.

34. 04-07-2012 08:11 PM #34
      just a night bump

35. 04-10-2012 05:51 PM #35
      If someone wants some better pix i can send them with no problem,Still up for sale, may take 9000 for it, I do have the stock drivers seat that will go with the car, and I also have a nice set of stock GTI wheels that will go with the car. Just to let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast