Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corrado 20v 1.8T

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 Corrado AWP 20v 1.8T
      03-26-2012 02:24 PM #1
      Long story short, I have a 2L stage 4 g60 that is getting tired and KK is no longer in business...so I decided to look for a donor heart for my old C and to my surprise, locally, I found an smahed up(in the rear only) auto 03' Jetta w/89K on the clock and got it for a whopping $600 bucks, ran fine and everything

time has come to swap it in, or at least begin with my slow process to make sure everything gets done correctly. I'm learning a **** ton, so constructive criticism is highly advertised.

and my small, but rapidly growing list of goodies:
      89K AWP 1.8T motor, harness, and ecu.
      New axles
      New steering rack, tie rods, wheel bearings ect.
      Powerflex prothane bushings
      BFI billet aluminum solid front motor mount, BFI Stage 2 Polyurethane trans mount, OE rear mount w/ Prothane insert.
      MMP tach converter
      Diesel Geeks SS w/side to side reduction

ECU flashed w/immob defeat, emission delete, cat delete.
      mount mk4 pedal assembly into Corrado(need more information on this mysterious mounting plate)
      Silicone hoses for AWP
      Forge DV valve
      SAI block off plate
      FMIC/piping
      shave front bumper
      body work
      re-spray
      coils, wheels, tires, spacers.

90' G60

The donor-

yayyyy AWP-ness

getting a few things done.

I did stupidly break the oil dummy connector, looks like a one wire show can't I just cut, replace, solder in and be ok? will a aww one work or is the awp one a later style?

more updates soon
      Last edited by 2OVT; 07-10-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO
      03-26-2012 02:40 PM #2
      For Deals on Swaps.
      For Automatic.

Sorry man, I am a control freak and would be yanking that slush box off that thing QUICKLY.

Still, lets see some updates.
      Last edited by DUBZAK; 03-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03-26-2012 03:21 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      For Deals on Swaps.
      For Automatic.

Sorry man, I am a control freak and would be yanking that slush box off that thing QUICKLY.

Still, lets see some updates.
      No worries friend, I'll be retaining my 02A 5spd trans that is currently mated to my g60. It was rebuilt in 2008 and has around 20K on it, so I'm not too worried. Will also be sticking with the DBW for the better tunes.

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO
      03-26-2012 05:08 PM #4
      Sigh of relief. Those JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company) Transmissions are JUNK.
      I like G60 transmissions more than the average VR6 Owner should.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-26-2012 09:06 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      Sigh of relief. Those JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company) Transmissions are JUNK.
      I like G60 transmissions more than the average VR6 Owner should.
      thanks getting an LSD for the trans.
      Last edited by 2OVT; 07-10-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Vehicles
      Early Bus 56,Rado G60 n´Caddy-Westy
      03-27-2012 02:29 PM #6
      More Pics Please

Vehicles
      Corrado, Audi A6, Passat
      03-28-2012 02:51 PM #7
      What part of MN are you from and I would like to swing by and check out that build, maybe even help a bit.
      There's no such thing as too much of anything but to little results in the need for more.

8. 03-28-2012 03:33 PM #8
      Have fun with it man!

i did basically this swap last year, a few minor touches and it'll be on the road this year.

You're making it easier on your self to start with a G60 shell, While i did it to my VR shell...

Good luck man!
      Canadian Immo 2 and 3 defeat service, PM for more information.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 02:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by twinrado View Post
      What part of MN are you from and I would like to swing by and check out that build, maybe even help a bit.
      Princeton, MN.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIdYfReAk View Post
      Have fun with it man!

i did basically this swap last year, a few minor touches and it'll be on the road this year.

You're making it easier on your self to start with a G60 shell, While i did it to my VR shell...

Good luck man!
      Thanks man, I can't wait to finish. Shouldn't take but a few weeks at wiring, jut have to pick a clutch and order that and axles and we're in business.
      it's not that I can't do it, it's that I don't know how yet...

Vehicles
      Restomod Corrado 1.8T
      03-29-2012 05:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 2OVT View Post
      Going to attempt to finish pulling it tonight and separate. Really need to find a good clutch now and decide on an LSD.

really wondering if this will do the trick or not?
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-.../Clutch/ES125/
      Looks like you are well on your way. See my sig for possible hints on what you might face and what I did. Yes - you can just cut it, and solder on another connector.

I'm not sure what clutch ECS is selling - but after about 50K my SACHS power clutch is on it's last legs. Ok, yes I go to the track etc quite often, but I'm not that hard on it otherwise...

I'm going to try a SBC Stage 2 EnduranceMax to see if it will last a little longer. Hope so.

You could modify the Corrado pedal set to accept the gas pedal like I did. Not very hard and it works great:

Last edited by hallkbrd; 03-29-2012 at 05:58 PM.
      A life frittered away disgusts God; he loves those who run straight for the finish line.

Never Ending 1.8T Corrado Project

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 08:58 PM #11
      Awesome, looks like you just made a metal bracket and welded it onto the pedal assembly where the old pedal was cut out?

awesome, I'll have to nab up a connector soon.

what software are you running? I've been trying to decide between Giac-X+, United Motosports and or Gonzo tuning. Any inputs on any? I want the most aggressive software for the K03s I can get.

ECS says that the clutch() will hold 250-275hp, not sure if that is wheel or crank but either way it should be ok with just a flashed 1.8T.

Vehicles
      Restomod Corrado 1.8T
      03-29-2012 10:16 PM #12
      I'm running APR stage 2+ software with all the other supporting hardware goodies with 4 programs (91 for DD, 93, 104, and valet). I run the 104 program when I go to the track.

Sadly (but expected) the turbo is on the way out at 110K, so I bought another K03s for now. I would like a stage 3 or 3+ kit - but that really needs a stronger tyranny than the 02J I have (in other words an 02M/lsd). But that also requires special axles, mounts, new wheels (4 to 5 lug), some engine work, etc. Sigh - if I could only print money.

But still - a K03 1.8T in a lighter car than it came out of still make for a heck of a fun (and quite fast) car. Not bad for a 22 year old!
      A life frittered away disgusts God; he loves those who run straight for the finish line.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 11:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by hallkbrd View Post
      I'm running APR stage 2+ software with all the other supporting hardware goodies with 4 programs (91 for DD, 93, 104, and valet). I run the 104 program when I go to the track.

Sadly (but expected) the turbo is on the way out at 110K, so I bought another K03s for now. I would like a stage 3 or 3+ kit - but that really needs a stronger tyranny than the 02J I have (in other words an 02M/lsd). But that also requires special axles, mounts, new wheels (4 to 5 lug), some engine work, etc. Sigh - if I could only print money.

But still - a K03 1.8T in a lighter car than it came out of still make for a heck of a fun (and quite fast) car. Not bad for a 22 year old!
      Mhmmm I'm still on the fence on what software to run. All the Giac-x+ cars I've been in have been quite fun, the one United car I've been in was also fun. I've heard mixed reviews for Gonzo tuning such as they are an open source rip and so on. Wish I could find someone running Giac-x+ in a Corrado 20vT so see how they like it.

I always thought the stage 4 g60 was quick for an 8v in a Corrado, can't wait to see what the 1.8T will do in the C

with that being said, downpipe and the three mounts are all that is holding my 1.8T into the mk4 platform, I may just yank it out tonight or tomorrow so please check back for updates, questions, and constructive criticism.

Vehicles
      91 Corrado, 02 Passat wagon, 99.5 A4 TQM
      03-29-2012 11:54 PM #14
      I'm doing a similar swap with a rebuilt AEB motor and a t3/t4 setup. Don't want to rattle my fillings out so i'm using the stock front mount. I have already converted my suspension on my car to 5 lug using a 95 Jetta GLX suspension with bigger axles and polyurethane and r32 bushings. Plan on doing a mk4 shifter conversion. Good luck with your swap!
      Last edited by 3 bar; 03-30-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC , TT 225QC , E39 540i, 9-3ss, B5 A4
      03-30-2012 11:10 AM #15
      Mhmmm I'm still on the fence on what software to run. All the Giac-x+ cars I've been in have been quite fun, the one United car I've been in was also fun. I've heard mixed reviews for Gonzo tuning such as they are an open source rip and so on. Wish I could find someone running Giac-x+ in a Corrado 20vT so see how they like it.

I always thought the stage 4 g60 was quick for an 8v in a Corrado, can't wait to see what the 1.8T will do in the C

with that being said, downpipe and the three mounts are all that is holding my 1.8T into the mk4 platform, I may just yank it out tonight or tomorrow so please check back for updates, questions, and constructive criticism.
      Check out Eurodyne. I always ran GIAC on 1.8t's until Maestro came out. Having a fully defined standalone that flashes to the stock ecu is awesome. The initial investment is a bit steep, but having multiple files ready to go allows you quickly change things (K03's/K04's/GT's) and all that you might need to do is select what MAF your running or not running a MAF if you have a wideband ecu.

I had GIAC on my TT, the Eurodyne file is like light and day with better fuel economy and power.
      -Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      I'm not endorsing the purchase of a Saab, cause I'd rather gargle battery acid. It was merely the best example I could think of.

16. 03-30-2012 12:08 PM #16
      aewsome, good luck and get some more pics

17. Member
      Vehicles
      03-31-2012 12:17 AM #17
      this-chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

Last edited by 2OVT; 07-10-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 01:10 AM #18

19. 04-01-2012 11:46 AM #19
      Cmon now, Wiring aint that bad.

There is 9 wires needed to run into the interior to get the fully running, As long as you're Immo defeated.

Oh, the gas pedal is 6 of them.

20. 04-01-2012 11:54 AM #20
      Cmon now, Wiring aint that bad.

There is 9 wires needed to run into the interior to get the fully running, As long as you're Immo defeated.

Oh, the gas pedal is 6 of them.
      your kidding me! is that all?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      04-01-2012 03:19 PM #21
      there has to be more than just 9 wires...including DBW

22. 04-01-2012 10:52 PM #22
      6 wires for the gas pedal...

One wire for switched ignition,
      One wire for fuel pump feed signal
      One wire for Tach feed

Optional:
      One/Three wire for CEL/Canbus.
      One wire for Constant power

That's all i've got with my swap.

Once you're not running the Mk4 dash/cluster, Anti-theft, etc it makes an engine swap... well, and engine swap rather than a car swap..

Thats why i started diving head first into the ME7.5 ECU's and learning to disable the anti-theft ( IMMO ) and traction control/etc....

23. Member
      Vehicles
      04-01-2012 11:17 PM #23
      6 wires for the gas pedal...

One wire for switched ignition,
      One wire for fuel pump feed signal
      One wire for Tach feed

Optional:
      One/Three wire for CEL/Canbus.
      One wire for Constant power

That's all i've got with my swap.

Once you're not running the Mk4 dash/cluster, Anti-theft, etc it makes an engine swap... well, and engine swap rather than a car swap..

Thats why i started diving head first into the ME7.5 ECU's and learning to disable the anti-theft ( IMMO ) and traction control/etc....
      Are you too running an AWP? What do you mean switched ignition? I want to retain OE Corrado ignition? What about this tach feed? I was told I need the 'MMP Converter' for my swap? And the wires for the CEL/Canbus, is it possible for me to wire up a CEL LED or something and throw it in one of the blank spaces in the C cluster?

24. 04-01-2012 11:39 PM #24
      Are you too running an AWP? What do you mean switched ignition? I want to retain OE Corrado ignition? What about this tach feed? I was told I need the 'MMP Converter' for my swap? And the wires for the CEL/Canbus, is it possible for me to wire up a CEL LED or something and throw it in one of the blank spaces in the C cluster?
      yes, Switched power to the ECU... your current one has it as well, Yes you need the converter, Yes its possible to wire in the CEL.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 11:47 AM #25
      yes, Switched power to the ECU... your current one has it as well, Yes you need the converter, Yes its possible to wire in the CEL.
      kick ass-ness...I hope you stay around my thread

26. Member
      Vehicles
      04-03-2012 07:37 PM #26
      so I started to remove the rest of the harness from the MK4.

was wondering about a few connectors- if anyone knows...

which one is this?

and this

and this connector which I some how missed(apart of the alternator/ ac harness)

the middle harness(most of the connectors were hooked up to stuff on the auto trans, just want to make sure I'm not going to need any of this-will not be including SAI/but will retain power steering.)

close up-

these to I suspect to be apart of the auto trans crap(please correct me if I am wrong...)

what is this guy too(on driver side inner fendor)

last but not least...what is this giant connector for?
      Last edited by 2OVT; 04-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Vehicles
      Restomod Corrado 1.8T
      04-03-2012 08:41 PM #27
      See this page for some more wire pictures:
      http://www.wetdub.com/phpBB3/viewtop...=2731&start=45

The fusebox for ABS and a five wire connector with four wires for the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor.
      Inside the relay box there should be two relays. Relay #100 powers the ECM. Relay #428 powers the Secondary Air Pump.
      (blue/yellow, red/lilac, black, green (black and green are twisted together)
      Pin 1 - ECM 29
      Pin 2 - ECM 53
      Pin 3 - ECM 27
      Pin 4 - ECM 66
      Pin 5 - N/C

AKA

A two wire connector with one power wire (1-white/red).
      This supplies power to the ECM relay. It connects into the chassis harness.

I think that has the fan controller on it - be careful!

Could be... didn't have one of those.

ABS!!!
      [/QUOTE]

28. Member
      Vehicles
      04-03-2012 09:32 PM #28
      first off, I really appreciate the help and identification man, we're gonna have a history of this soon enough

First- I have the MAF already labeled... so I am kinda confused as to where that came into play?

this didn't run into the little fuse box

Second- So I will need to use the ECM relay power connector (the one single wire white/red) for my swap?

Third- Did you use the fan stuff from the mk4? I was under the impression I could retain my OE g60 fan stuff?

In this picture, I was specifically referring to that individual connector- more or less the whole bunch and the big box thingy that had two big connectors with a bunch of red wires (sorry, wiring n00b)

Fourth- ABS is deleted in my C, I do not plan to run this. Only accessories I plan to run of course are alt and power steering. Can't I just delete this?

Do you know if the g60 power steering lines will work with the mk4 p/s pump? I was told it should.

29. 04-04-2012 02:21 AM #29
      [QUOTE=2OVT;76729427]first off, I really appreciate the help and identification man, we're gonna have a history of this soon enough

First- I have the MAF already labeled... so I am kinda confused as to where that came into play?

this didn't run into the little fuse box

I did an aww swap a while ago and if this is the connector I believe it is, it had the tach signal wire, coolant temp wire, and a bunch of powers for various things (sorry I cant be more help with the specific powers) The connector is there to tie the car side wiring harness to the engine side.
      Last edited by jblais; 04-04-2012 at 02:24 AM.

30. 04-05-2012 08:52 AM #30
      Fab up 3" SS DP
      Dont waste your time, Buy any of the ebay/raceland 3" downpipes, Fits perfect.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 11:16 AM #31
      Dont waste your time, Buy any of the ebay/raceland 3" downpipes, Fits perfect.
      I get my material cheap
      Last edited by 2OVT; 04-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.

32. 04-05-2012 09:09 PM #32
      quick question , its been a while for me i guess . i thought there was a problem using a auto 20v with the 02A , that the crank is different where the push rod would hit. when i used to do swaps i saved the autos for anything that was not cable shift.

would just like to know
      Up and Live >>> www.Herbys53.com <<< sick of the BS , check it out :thumb:
      860-798-5227 TEXT anytime
      Herbys53 VW/Audi Corral May 29th Lime Rock Park Ct.

53Motorsports-Koni/APR/TT/Bilsteins/Oem+/Service:clap:

33. 04-05-2012 10:41 PM #33
      The 058 blocks from the Audi/Passats use have two different cranks, Manual and automatic.

While the 06A Block uses only one crank, and fits any transmission perfect.

His block is a 06A.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      04-05-2012 11:05 PM #34
      The 058 blocks from the Audi/Passats use have two different cranks, Manual and automatic.

While the 06A Block uses only one crank, and fits any transmission perfect.

His block is a 06A.
      win.

058=old 1.8T blocks such as AEB/AGU?

I was at the junkyard today looking for small things for the Corrado with no luck

I did come across an 'AWD' 1.8T, guessing it was a 2000? Are the oil dummy connectors the same as the AWW/AWP?

Is there a difference between the AWD and AWP intake manifolds? I know I read somewhere that the AGU manifold was the transverse large port manifold which flowed better than the AWP stocker. I'm assuming AWD/AWW/AWP are all the same? In that case, how is porting the AWP intake out?

Vehicles
      04-05-2012 11:35 PM #35
      The AEB head/manifold has the largest ports mine is a modified AEB manifold

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast