VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My $300 coupe

14K views 133 replies 35 participants last post by  cll2993 
#1 ·
I got my coupe a month ago. not running. When I eventually got it running it had a real bad knock. So I decided to get another motor and rebuild. this will be my first mk2, first 8v and first rebuild by myself.

the only rust spot

See less See more
#11 ·
I got down the street and the trailer tire blew out

spent about 2 hours wire wheeling it to get it this clean

think i may have had some coolant in my oil

almost clean

primed

blackk

the motor out of the car

the head on my rebuild motor was too warped to resurface so i ended up having to resurface the original one and using that

#27 ·
I used to hear this too. I wasn't lucky enough to find a 300 dollar car tho and then school got in the way (no garage or at home)

Had to wait some time but finally doing something similar. Keep up the good work bud :thumbup:

#36 ·
dumb question maybe

How did you young guys start getting into taking apart and putting together cars? When I grew up we lived in a nice house in the suburbs where no one I knew had a car they worked on so I never knew anyone to impart any knowledge on me and and have pretty much lived my whole life not knowing crap about what makes a car run other than engine basics. Getting my head into vw engines a little lately with the bentley and my well taken care of by the last dude mk2 Jetta. I don't want to take it apart and screw anything up and don't have many tools to try. I should at least try and change my oil myself though. Would like to be able to change the timing belt myself too but it is daunting to get at. Lately it has been making louder belt noises when it first starts and I'm not really sure how to figure out where it is coming from (and again afraid of making it worse by even touching anything).

#37 ·
How did you young guys start getting into taking apart and putting together cars? When I grew up we lived in a nice house in the suburbs where no one I knew had a car they worked on so I never knew anyone to impart any knowledge on me and and have pretty much lived my whole life not knowing crap about what makes a car run other than engine basics. Getting my head into vw engines a little lately with the bentley and my well taken care of by the last dude mk2 Jetta. I don't want to take it apart and screw anything up and don't have many tools to try. I should at least try and change my oil myself though. Would like to be able to change the timing belt myself too but it is daunting to get at. Lately it has been making louder belt noises when it first starts and I'm not really sure how to figure out where it is coming from (and again afraid of making it worse by even touching anything).
The biggest thing I have learned is that you cant be afraid.. If it doesnt go right you try again if something breaks in the process so what you learn something. Of course no one likes paying for mistakes but when its over it doesnt really matter. Believe me i dont have much experience either. Just start out little, and dont be scared

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.