Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Bye bye range anxiety?

Vehicles
      '94 Saab 900 Conv., '10 Audi A5 2.0T
      03-27-2012 10:35 AM #1
      Wireless highway charges electric cars as they go

Dealing with range anxiety by using wireless highways to charge cars as they drive by.

If this tech works and is cheap enough to implement, I don't see much stopping the widespread implementation of electric cars. Going to be a paradigm shift for automakers.

2. 03-27-2012 10:37 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by swa5000 View Post
      If this tech works and is cheap enough to implement
      I think we're likely to see Warp drive first

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      03-27-2012 10:39 AM #3
      only because i make a living off of electronics/telecommunications......SICK!
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      There aint no OZ in rape.

Vehicles
      '94 Saab 900 Conv., '10 Audi A5 2.0T
      03-27-2012 10:40 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
      I think we're likely to see Warp drive first
      Why do you say that?

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-27-2012 10:47 AM #5
      The MOST useful place for something like this to be implemented would probably be more for an industry. Say the trucking industry. Build rigs with an electric motor, bury the wire tech into the highway, and when they enter and cruise they can do so while saving fuel for the short trips once off the highways to the destinations. You could even put them at the truck stops to keep them from running their diesels for power while sleeping.

I would see something like this being put in place in say Jersey where they have that stretch of highway that is designated car and truck. But I would enforce no cars in the truck side so they can all cruise at 65 with seemingly no problems and no exhaust.

Vehicles
      SVO
      03-27-2012 11:13 AM #6
      If this tech works and is cheap enough to implement, I don't see much stopping the widespread implementation of electric cars.
      Congress. Actually, only about half of Congress, but it's enough to stop it. You know which half.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

7. 03-27-2012 11:29 AM #7
      Dealing with range anxiety by using wireless highways to charge cars as they drive by.
      Electric vehicles that can charge as they go? That technology already exists:

If this tech works and is cheap enough to implement, I don't see much stopping the widespread implementation of electric cars. Going to be a paradigm shift for automakers.
      On a related note, Virgin Galactic has announced their long-term plans to design interplanetary vehicles. If this tech works and is cheap enough to implement, I don't see much stopping the widespread implementation of space shuttles. Going to be a paradigm shift for automakers.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 03 Protege LX

8. Banned
      03-27-2012 11:33 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      The MOST useful place for something like this to be implemented would probably be more for an industry. Say the trucking industry. Build rigs with an electric motor, bury the wire tech into the highway, and when they enter and cruise they can do so while saving fuel for the short trips once off the highways to the destinations. You could even put them at the truck stops to keep them from running their diesels for power while sleeping.

I would see something like this being put in place in say Jersey where they have that stretch of highway that is designated car and truck. But I would enforce no cars in the truck side so they can all cruise at 65 with seemingly no problems and no exhaust.
      You are forgetting that "pollution" and emissions "control/laws" doesn't apply to the biggest polluters like 18 wheelers or cargo ships.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      03-27-2012 11:35 AM #9
      This is an old idea, with the innovative part being using rebar as the inductive field element. However, downside is inductive charging is not efficient and this does nothing to make that better. Overall, even with this technique, it would still be prohibitively expensive with current technology.
      Contributing editor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      Something I bought at Weymouth Honda
      03-27-2012 11:39 AM #10
      the chances of this bein implemented seem very low.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      03-27-2012 11:40 AM #11
      well...

electrical lines buried in the highway would mean:

closing the highway,
      tearing up the highway,
      laying the wires,
      repaving,
      setting up some sort of "pay as you go" or other way to pay for it,
      convincing the FCC EPA FDA ETC... it wont cause cancer,
      getting the MONEY for it all,
      convincing the nation tax money is well spent on it,

THEN you have to start selling cars with the feature that can pick up on the transmission and probably have tax money subsidizing the cost of the feature as it will be crazy expensive in the beginning. Also start retro fitting existing electric cars.

THEN you have to design and build working electric cars/vans/trucks as the only car that will gain anything is one going long distances on these highways (shipping industry)....

as said already.....
      WARP 1, ENGAGE!
      i mean i could write a book about the hurdles necessary.....

Vehicles
      '11 Edge, '03 RS6
      03-27-2012 11:45 AM #12
      Not to mention that I'd rather not be bombarded by EMF radiation every time I get in my car.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      03-27-2012 11:46 AM #13
      from the article:
      It may take years, if not decades, until roads are retrofitted in this way. But various firms, including an MIT spin-out called WiTricity, are already taking the first steps by building charging stations for car parks, garages and beyond. And it has already caught the attention of car firms, including Toyota, Mitsubishi and Audi.

Witricity has been around for a while, and had technology to wire homes up so you dont need wires for your tv, lamps, stereos, etc.

problem is it is too expensive, the transmitters are huge, and you know how people are scared to live next to high current power lines? This would be like wrapping those lines around you.

If you think living next to power lines causes cancer.......you are in for it

14. 03-27-2012 12:00 PM #14
      A very old idea.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

15. 03-27-2012 12:01 PM #15
      First thing I thought of:

Life size slot cars!