Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Lake Powell - House Boat / Kayaking Vacation

Vehicles
      04 DBP R32, 03 TDI Wagon, 84 GLI 16VV
      03-27-2012 05:18 PM #1
      My son and I love to Kayak. Have been considering a trip to Lake Powell for quite awhile. Just the two of us; load up the wagon and drive from Kansas City.

Anyone ever been to Powell and have any testimony? I guess I fear that the place will be packed full of Dbags. I'm not necessarily looking for seclusion but I am not looking for crowds. Just kind of like the idea of being ON the water for 4 or 5 days. Cruise a little, kayak a little, eat, drink, sleep, repeat.

If anyone has a similar locale in mind or some advise, I am all ears (eyes).

2. 03-28-2012 12:29 PM #2
      We've had a 55' houseboat on Lake Powell for 6 years. We just recently got out of the partnership - for non-boat owner reasons.

LP is a tale of 3 lakes depending on where you put in. Hite is very remote and fish camp like. Bullfrog basin (Bullfrog bay and Halls Creek Bay) are pretty busy with the party animals but once you go north or south 1 canyon it empties out pretty quick. Page - where we've had our HB on both a bouy and a slip in Page Marina - is the most crowded and toughest to find solitude. On busy weekends any canyon is filled at almost any anchorage until you get up into Padre Bay. If the high cut is open you can get to Padre in about 1 1/2 hour (houseboat speed) but if the high cut is closed - due to water level - it can be a bumpy 3 hour ride through the river channel to get to Padre.

Now, once you get into Padre an entire world opens up and it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. All the side canyons have excellent hikes at the dry end. They also have great mooring possibilities. Face, West, Last Chance and tons more. Really, once you get away from the marinas it is a fantastic place to spend a week.

We've been to weddings in Iceberg Canyon, had 10 houseboat raft up parties in Padre and spent a week in Last Chance bay without seeing any other boats. Do it, you won't be sorry.
      Last edited by Phatbastard; 03-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Vehicles
      04 DBP R32, 03 TDI Wagon, 84 GLI 16VV
      03-29-2012 11:58 AM #3
      Very good info man. Thanks a lot. We will probably be arriving on a Monday or Sunday, so, hopefully we will miss some of the crowds.

Worried about the heat in June or July. Considering Lake Roosevelt (Washington State) too. Farther but cooler and I have family in Spokane and Portland.

4. 03-30-2012 11:32 AM #4
      It gets VERY hot that time of year. We would always moor the HB to find the earliest shade. That time of year the only time you would get out of the water was to refill the floating cooler with beer.