Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New Jetta Owner

1. 03-27-2012 07:30 PM #1
      Hey guys,

I had a few questions about my 01 Vr6 Jetta. there are two things that are puzzling me right now about my car. the first thing is, how much noise it too much road noise. I have had my wheel bearings checked twice and had my front driver one replaced. The techs, Non VW techs, stated that it was just road noise. I have not had road noise since I drove a full size truck. it's not enough to make you think the wheels are flying off or anything of that nature. The steering wheel dose not pull, or jump, or vibrate. The car seems to be in-line. The second question is, my car shifts strangely when I get off the off ramp onto the main road. this is the only time it dose this, its like it is not sure what gear it wants to be in. after it shifts a couple times it's fine. I read somewhere where the shifter rod could be a factor. The shifter rod also fell into the slight rattling noise under the hood. these things are all minor, but being a new owner of a VW I want to make sure I have not bought into a bigger issue. The Jetta has 109,000 miles and rides like a dream. am I over worried? or could this turn into a costly issue?

p.s. what is with the center display going in and out, It's weird.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI; 2000 Jetta 2.0 (RIP)
      03-27-2012 08:04 PM #2
      I'm not going to be any help at all (since I don't have a VR6) but you should post pics. My attention span was way too small to read most of what you said without pretty pictures to look at. I'm sure most people feel the same, so post some pics of the new car! From what I did read, it seems to me that you might just be paranoid of the little things though.

Welcome to the Vortex!

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition, 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP
      03-27-2012 08:13 PM #3
      Is it an Auto or Manual?

For the road noise, they have a decent amount, but I am going to suggest to check your suspension bushings. If they have not been replaced they are probably worn out. You want to check the lower control arm bushings, top strut mount bushings and front control arm bushings.
      2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition

4. 03-27-2012 08:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by yivek View Post
      Is it an Auto or Manual?

For the road noise, they have a decent amount, but I am going to suggest to check your suspension bushings. If they have not been replaced they are probably worn out. You want to check the lower control arm bushings, top strut mount bushings and front control arm bushings.

If you read his post carefully you will realize it's an auto...and by the way OP, your tranny IS on the way to ca-ca land. I would focus on your transmission problem before it gets worse... Prepare to pay $$$ (Don't buy an automatic VW in the future, they are all doomed to fail at around your current milage... I'm surprised it held up thus far)

Welcome and good luck!
      Last edited by euromaxituning; 03-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
      "We are each free to believe what we want, and it's my view that my simplest explanation is: THERE IS NO GOD, no one created the universe and no one directs our fate." - Stephen Hawkings

5. 03-27-2012 10:07 PM #5
      I am going to set up am appointment with a VW tech, I will have them look everything over. Also, some Jackwagon stripped out my oil pan bolt. The last person to service the car before I got it was at a Honda dealership. Long story short, I learned about the aluminum oil pans