Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Skid plate for 2012 rear valance

1. 03-28-2012 12:16 AM #1
      Just picked up a white/cornsilk 2012 SEL premium nav. So far, so good!

Although I don't plan to go off road, I really like T&F front end. Anyone know if there is a matching skid plate available for the rear valence that will fit US models? I don't care if it's metal or plastic, it is for aesthetic purposes only

I would love to get my hands on the one on page 5 of this euro catalog:
      http://autohansa.ru/images/PDF/Tiguan%20GP%20(Eng).pdf

I checked many accessory websites and nobody seems to have them listed for 2012. If we can confirm euro units will fit, I would be happy to organize a group buy if there is interest.
      Last edited by GogoVDubGadget; 03-28-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2012 Touareg Hybrid
      03-28-2012 01:44 PM #2
      Thanks for making me more depressed by reminding me how much more is available across the pond I see no reason why it shouldn't fit with the exception of a tow package maybe.

3. 03-28-2012 10:49 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Thanks for making me more depressed by reminding me how much more is available across the pond I see no reason why it shouldn't fit with the exception of a tow package maybe.
      No need to feel depressed....we can get any of these goodies we like :-)

I contacted a dealer in Frankfurt today. I have a friend over there who is more than happy to ship anything to the states. Just waiting on confirmation everything will fit our SELs.

Did this a couple of years ago with BMW parts...worked like a charm.

4. 03-29-2012 02:16 AM #4
      It's a shame we don't get the option of all the interior colours.

That red/brown would look neat with the pearl black!

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 03:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GogoVDubGadget View Post
      No need to feel depressed....we can get any of these goodies we like :-)

I contacted a dealer in Frankfurt today. I have a friend over there who is more than happy to ship anything to the states. Just waiting on confirmation everything will fit our SELs.

Did this a couple of years ago with BMW parts...worked like a charm.
      Can you please ask him if the rear valance will fit SEL with US towing package?
      I also priced out some of the items in that catalog trough my local Audi dealer, yes we can order them here too, it takes about 10 bus. days to get it. I'd be interested in checking out their prices too, may be we can get them cheaper that way. Keep us posted

Vehicles
      12 Tiguan SE 4Mo Sun & Nav, 89 GTI, 02 GTI 1.8T Sold
      03-30-2012 11:22 AM #6
      I would be interested int he rear skid plate as well.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SEL w/Premium Nav; 2011 BMW X3 35i
      04-02-2012 06:23 PM #7
      If anybody actually buys and installs the rear skid plate I'd be interested in hearing about the cost and installation process.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan | Alpine Grey Met | SEL | 4motion | Navi | Panoramic Sunroof
      04-02-2012 09:11 PM #8
      I have a '10 Tiguan with the front and rear skid plates installed. I love the way they look and the quality is excellent. They definitely add some depth to the black bumper areas. I installed the front, instructions were fairly easy, although I found the plastic rivets that VW supplies to be annoying. They bent easily and I used black auto trim screws. I had the dealer install the rear. They charged an hour's worth of labor to install, about $100. Was worth it. I do not have the tow package but I believe the rear has a removable section for the tow extension that would be mounted to the rear frame. A few caveats, if you have the VW mud flaps installed, the rear valance interferes with them. For proper fit, the dealer cut back the flap a bit. Can't even notice it. The second is that I had a minor accident and took some front end damage. The skid plate cracked. Because they are sold as a set, it took VW a while to get a replacement for just the front. The parts site are misleading because they do offer the front only but that is a smaller front skid plate that does with the front valance. The body shop ordered that one through VW and it is noticeably different. More silver and smaller. The front and rear skid plate have a stainless steel look. Anyway, something to think about. Hope this helps.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 01:49 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by tdeprenda View Post
      I have a '10 Tiguan with the front and rear skid plates installed. I love the way they look and the quality is excellent. They definitely add some depth to the black bumper areas. I installed the front, instructions were fairly easy, although I found the plastic rivets that VW supplies to be annoying. They bent easily and I used black auto trim screws. I had the dealer install the rear. They charged an hour's worth of labor to install, about $100. Was worth it. I do not have the tow package but I believe the rear has a removable section for the tow extension that would be mounted to the rear frame. A few caveats, if you have the VW mud flaps installed, the rear valance interferes with them. For proper fit, the dealer cut back the flap a bit. Can't even notice it. The second is that I had a minor accident and took some front end damage. The skid plate cracked. Because they are sold as a set, it took VW a while to get a replacement for just the front. The parts site are misleading because they do offer the front only but that is a smaller front skid plate that does with the front valance. The body shop ordered that one through VW and it is noticeably different. More silver and smaller. The front and rear skid plate have a stainless steel look. Anyway, something to think about. Hope this helps.
      Thanks for the detailed description, however things have changed a bit with the recent face lift. We now get front plates standard with Track and Field (the only available version in NA) so we only would need a rear plate which is not available in NA catalog but can be trough a US dealer. Hopefully the OP will post back what he found out from his friend in Germany regarding fitment and prices.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 02:35 PM #10
      Thanks for the detailed description, however things have changed a bit with the recent face lift. We now get front plates standard with Track and Field (the only available version in NA) so we only would need a rear plate which is not available in NA catalog but can be trough a US dealer. Hopefully the OP will post back what he found out from his friend in Germany regarding fitment and prices.

Does anyone have the part number for just the rear plate with install hardware? I would be willing to be a guinea pig and try and install it on mine.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 04:24 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by thejew View Post
      Does anyone have the part number for just the rear plate with install hardware? I would be willing to be a guinea pig and try and install it on mine.
      I just emailed my friend @ Audi to see if only rear can be ordered, I will update as soon as I hear from him. So far this is the US part # supposedly for both: 5N0 071 616 96D and costs $1099.00 retail.

www.cheapvolkswagenparts.com has it at $846.23
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 04-03-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 03:25 PM #12
      I just emailed my friend @ Audi to see if only rear can be ordered, I will update as soon as I hear from him. So far this is the US part # supposedly for both: 5N0 071 616 96D and costs $1099.00 retail.

www.cheapvolkswagenparts.com has it at $846.23
      Any word on the part number?

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 03:56 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by thejew View Post
      Any word on the part number?
      Yes, the part number I listed is correct, however it is listed for a 2009-2011 year model and comes in pair (front and rear). Please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand there were no changes to the rear bumper with the recent face lift? He also suggested to wait for a VW to release a new catalog with 2012 parts, which may happen sometime this year or later. I think $900+ is a little on a high side especially considering that I would not be able to use the from plate and will have to sell it (if lucky) at a reduced price. Any thoughts?
      My build thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...L-build-thread

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

14. 04-10-2012 11:21 PM #14
      Good news and bad news. Took a while to confirm but here is the standalone rear skid plate info :-)

P/N: 5N0 071 611 6M7
      DESCRIPTION: UNDERRUN
      US RETAIL: $535 USD
      UK RETAIL: £245.62 ($389.55 USD)

Neither US or UK dealers can confirm availability right now. I contacted a german dealer and they can get the front and rear set within 2 days. I am awaiting a quote and availability from Germany for the rear only I imagine Germany usually gets parts first, so, it may just show up in the States soon. Stay thirsty my friends.

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 01:46 PM #15
      Good news and bad news. Took a while to confirm but here is the standalone rear skid plate info :-)

Neither US or UK dealers can confirm availability right now. I contacted a german dealer and they can get the front and rear set within 2 days. I am awaiting a quote and availability from Germany for the rear only I imagine Germany usually gets parts first, so, it may just show up in the States soon. Stay thirsty my friends.
      Good work, but have you confirmed that EU part will fit US cars with towing package? As far as I know their towing package is completely different in size and look. I think that may be the reason why the part number is different.
      My build thread:

Mods: X-Pel Headlight Shields, 3M Clear Bra, OEM Door Moldings, OEM Aspherical Mirrors, R-line Door Sills, Rear Hatch Chrome Molding, and many more to come soon...

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2012 06:53 PM #16
      There's always this as an alternative

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Tiguan-Al...ht_7498wt_1002

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 02:12 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Pablo509 View Post

Have you tried it? I tend to stay away from Chinese made stuff due to their poor quality and fit issues. It is also obvious that this piece will not fit Tigs with tow package unless you're brave enough to cut it out
      My build thread:

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2012 09:59 PM #18
      Have you tried it? I tend to stay away from Chinese made stuff due to their poor quality and fit issues. It is also obvious that this piece will not fit Tigs with tow package unless you're brave enough to cut it out
      I like the look of the rear skid plate on the Tiguan (not necessarily this particular one). The Tiguan however is my wife's car, and she isn't that impressed with the skid plate, especially since it is primarily cosmetic. That said we probably won't proceed with buying and mounting a skid plate.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2008 BMW M5
      05-25-2013 12:29 AM #19
      Hate to bump an old thread but any updates on sourcing just the rear OEM skid plate?

I think it would really finish off the car nicely.
      - drew

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-25-2013 12:30 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Pablo509 View Post

This actually looks pretty damn good. Anyone here purchase one?
      - drew

21. Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2013 06:29 PM #21

I reached out to OEMplus and they quoted $550 and availability within 5 - 7 days. Can't quite decide if I want to pull the trigger.
      - drew

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      05-30-2013 10:21 AM #22
      I think you should pull the trigger.

Post pictures after install.

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion
      08-20-2013 12:58 PM #23
      Agreed. Has anyone installed this on their Tig? If so, please post a photo. Curious on both quality and fitment. Thanks. (Link Below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181195675163...84.m1438.l2649
      Last edited by jonlee16; 08-20-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Adding ebay link