Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Circuit of the Americas updates

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      03-28-2012 01:04 AM #1
      I didn't see a recent thread discussing the track development so here's another one if there have been many before.

My friend Kevin McCauley paid a visit to the COTA location recently and wrote a report on his visit that includes 19 photos of the ongoing construction. Click the pic below to read/view more.

Looks promising to me. I won't be in Austin this year while they work out all the kinks, but I'd like to go in 2013, I think.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      03-28-2012 01:25 AM #2
      Third-hand information that makes me glad I'm not going to attempt the inaugural event:

I was reading on another site where someone who claims to know several high level people on the project (and he has posted quite a lot of insider info before that ended up being spot on)... he says that in addition to scaling down the grandstand project (which we already knew), they are not going to have the "team buildings" complete in time for the first year.

It looks like they are shooting to get the very bare minimum done to qualify for having a race. I believe the road improvements are not happening for the first race, which still means unheard of delays to/from the track.
      Flyover shot from 3/22

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      03-28-2012 01:29 AM #3
      I would love to go and planning to go this year, just no firm plans yet. I'm waiting for all the kinks to be ironed out and at least have some ticket information provided (beyond 15 yr licenses ) to the public.

4. 03-28-2012 08:21 AM #4
      odd request, but does your buddy have any more, or better pictures of the cranes that are used to build it?

5. 03-28-2012 08:14 PM #5
      I have seen some fast construction before but I will say. I bet there will be wet paint when the grand prix comes to town. I would love to go, its also my birthday weekend.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      03-28-2012 08:34 PM #6
      We saw what shape Korea was in a couple of years ago. They did have a GP, though!
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      04-02-2012 08:49 PM #7
      Yeah and Korea never finished construction or cleaned the circuit from the first race. Let's hope that COTA has a better long term plan.

05-06-2012 08:21 PM #8
      i was wondering if any of you guys have any more info about the ticket pricing for Austin??

i've received an email from a company that is putting tickets up for sale, but i was shocked at how much they are.

first of all they are selling the seats for a WHOLE season and the cheapest seats are around $2000 or so; well what about people that are outside USA and only want tickets for F1 grand prix only, not for the whole season??

will they be putting up tickets for sale just for the NOV F1 race?? if so how much will they be??

if anybody has more info about this would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      05-06-2012 11:03 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by silverrbeast View Post
      i was wondering if any of you guys have any more info about the ticket pricing for Austin??

i've received an email from a company that is putting tickets up for sale, but i was shocked at how much they are.

first of all they are selling the seats for a WHOLE season and the cheapest seats are around $2000 or so; well what about people that are outside USA and only want tickets for F1 grand prix only, not for the whole season??

will they be putting up tickets for sale just for the NOV F1 race?? if so how much will they be??

if anybody has more info about this would be greatly appreciated.
      I've got nothing new. The tickets that are for sale are just seat licenses, which means you have to buy the right to a seat for a few thousand $ that would give you first right to buy any ticket for a race at COTA for the seat you have a license for. BS in my opinion.

Tickets for common folk like us have no firm plans for a sale date other than sometime this summer. That's all I know about it...

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      08-03-2012 01:48 PM #10

Quote Originally Posted by gpupdate.net
      Excitement levels are rising at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas (COTA), which will be hosting the returning United States Grand Prix in mid-November. The first full lap of tarmac has now been laid on the inside line of the track.

The process, known as ‘marrying the track’, took place on the start/finish straight, as the first phase of asphalting was completed between the first and last corners of the circuit.

With around three metres of clay having been excavated along the length of the track, it was replaced by a black polyester material of around 30 millimetres in thickness. This material will act as an envelope for layers of select fill, making sure it remains exactly in place.
      Looks like the track should be ready with three months to go. Can't wait to see a race on American soil again!

I just read somewhere that there will be new changes to the aero regs to accomodate "obstacles" for the American viewers. They want to make the sport more interesting for the perspective NASCAR fans. Looks like Lotus is already developing their car! Of course Red Bull has already had Webber do some in-race testing. They might need to tweak the design a little.

No F1 for a month! It only gets worse from here.

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 00 GTI, 00 NB, 84 Scirocco, 80 Dasher
      08-05-2012 09:20 AM #11
      I was planning to go but being this late of the year, my wife and I would be shelling out at least $2500 each for the whole package. Oh well, next best thing is the teli.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08-05-2012 11:23 AM #12
      Just bought my ticket. Was hoping for Gen admission, but those where sold out.
      Had to spend over a hundred more and ended up in Turn 11.
      Oh well, excited about watching Alonso clinch his third!

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      08-05-2012 02:51 PM #13
      I had to keep it on a budget for this one. I just bought Saturday only tickets for turn 11 off of stub hub.
      PSN: gospracrgo

14. 08-05-2012 11:05 PM #14
      Same here, turn 11, 3 day pass. Gon' be saweet.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 04:55 AM #15
      Turn 15! 3 days.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-25-2012 10:37 AM #16
      Turn 11, boys and girls! I'll be sitting in the right set of bleachers!

Turn 12 on the right side after the long straight. I imagine some great passes right there. You should have a nice view from there, Atoson.

Vehicles
      09-25-2012 09:26 PM #17
      kfzmeister, I was wondering since you'll be at the farthest corner of the track and I on the other end facing you, are we allowed to walk towards the podium and watch the interview being the new format? I'm looking forward getting autographs and pict from Alonso, Kimi and Jenson. If I can't get those 3 mentioned, I'm going on a killing spree just to get anything signed by Fernando

18. Member
      Vehicles
      09-25-2012 10:20 PM #18
      I dunno if we are allowed to walk on track at this GP. They never allowed it at Indy in all those years. Perhaps? I'll have to leave way early before it ends. Lol
      I decided to bring my bicycle. I'm gonna try and park downtown somewhere and bike there via the scenic bike path. They'll have free parking for cycles with a short free shuttle to the circuit.
      Any clue what day and night temps average then?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      09-27-2012 12:10 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      I dunno if we are allowed to walk on track at this GP. They never allowed it at Indy in all those years. Perhaps? I'll have to leave way early before it ends. Lol
      I decided to bring my bicycle. I'm gonna try and park downtown somewhere and bike there via the scenic bike path. They'll have free parking for cycles with a short free shuttle to the circuit.
      Any clue what day and night temps average then?
      It's Texas...so who knows, really. My best guess would be highs in the low to mid 70's and lows in the high 30's around that time. Should be pretty nice

20. Member
      Vehicles
      09-27-2012 09:24 PM #20
      Perfect camping weather.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      10-12-2012 03:42 PM #21