Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow and Steady (timeline)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2006 Volkswagen GLI.[Past: '83 Datsun 280zx, '96 Honda Prelude, '97 Eagle Talon Tsi]
      03-28-2012 12:20 PM #1
      I'm not much for starting threads but but i figured i might as well have at least one to post up some pictures and share my modest progression with my car. Be warned that this will be a pretty slow moving thread for three reasons. First, i am on an extreme budget. i try to spend my money wisely when comes to my car and keep my other priorities in check. Second, i am very picky. i think long and hard about what parts i want, what look i am going for, and so on. Finally i am incredibly cheap. i don't like spending my hard earned money unless i know what i am spending it on will be great quality and a great price.

on to the pictures!

My Automotive Background:

My First Car:

1983 Datsun 280zx - Killed by Rust

1996 Honda Prelude base
      (H23 motor swap, DC Sports Header, Skunk2 Exhaust, AEM intake Motegi Wheels, JDM headlamps, Clear front turn signals, Custom tail lights, crazy stereo system). started to piece together a turbo setup... then figured might as well get a turbo car and go from there.

1997 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
      (Evo III 16G Turbo, GReddy FMIC, 1st gen BOV, Dejon Tool 'L' Pipe, Injen Intake, Devo MBC, Tial 38mm, Apexi N1 Turbo-back, 510cc injectors, Walbro 190 F.P, Apexi Super AFC & Auto Timer, Tuned by Devo, Autometer Guages I.P.T. Transmission, Eibach prokit, Enkei wheels) car was pretty quick, could keep up with my buddy's Ws6 from a roll, which was cool. But the car got too much attention from the wrong people, was uncomfortable and well, a DSM.

Current car: 2006 GLI Package 2 with DSG

8 Days into ownership... bone stock.

shortly after i purchased:
      -GW16VC1 Gateway 100 ipod adapter
      -Cherry Red LED taillights
      -Open Air Honeycomb fog light Grills
      -Used front grill (w/o license plate holes & badge)

Drove it like this until March 4th, 2011 when i put in B&G S2 Sport Springs
      Before:

After:

Before:

After:

May 2011
      Color Matched Front Side Markers
      Autotech Intake
      no pics.

July 2011

-Techtonics Tuning Downpipe
      -DEI Exhaust Wrapped my Autotech Intake
      -Euro Switch installed
      -DRL turned off
      -Rear Fog Enabled
      -Euro GTI Front Lip

March 7th, 2012

8380 coils and GIAC reflash

March 27th, 2012

-FTG 24.25" in front and 24" rear
      -ECS Spacers 12.5mm Front/20mm Rear... Final ET Front:41.5 Rear:34
      -Tire size: 225/45/17

April 12th, 2013

VMR VB3 wheels arrived.
      -Specs: 18x8.5 et45 wrapped in 225/40 tires
      Since these will be replacing the Classix for year round duty i felt a meatier tire would be more appropriate.

and that's were we sit now.
      Thanks for checkin' it out
      Last edited by illuder83; 05-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07 RS4, 08 GLI
      03-28-2012 12:29 PM #2
      black out the chrome trim around the windows

Vehicles
      1999 Audi A4 Quattro
      03-28-2012 12:31 PM #3
      loved the dsm, im interested to see were you take this car due to your past ones
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Wheel gap on VW's is much like a girl. If you can fit three fingers than it's not a keeper.

Vehicles
      Harley 48
      03-28-2012 12:31 PM #4

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta 2.5
      03-28-2012 01:30 PM #5
      You're on coils...get that thing <24" FTG or GTFO. Looks good though.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2006 Volkswagen GLI.[Past: '83 Datsun 280zx, '96 Honda Prelude, '97 Eagle Talon Tsi]
      03-28-2012 10:07 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by alexj87 View Post
      I'm thinking about blacking out the trim. Doing that is dependent on which route i go with my wheels. i may be looking into picking up some Flat fives then polishing them, if i do that the trim will tie in nicely with the polished wheels, emblems, euro tails and bezels in the headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by vortexn View Post
      loved the dsm, im interested to see were you take this car due to your past ones
      Thanks the DSM was the most extreme i did, more pictures here that was a quick build since parts were dirt cheap and very easy to come by. This car will take much longer since i want to use the best parts at hand, i don't want to diminish the level of quality that the car came with. Plus i like the idea of keeping everything below the radar, a thing that's near impossible with a DSM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSU View Post
      Thanks PSU! it's not as intense as yours, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LFZ View Post
      You're on coils...get that thing <24" FTG or GTFO. Looks good though.
      HA! Well with the spacers, no fender work, and stock spec tires this is as low at i can really go. The fronts have a slight tuck and less than a pinky finger space between the fender lip and side wall. The rear has more of a noticeable tuck and near no space between the tires sidewall and fender. As is the rear tires will rub on mild bumps, if anyone sits in back, or if i stuff my trunk. This is how she will sit for now. When i finally decide what route i plan on goin' as far as future wheels and tires i definetly will be lowering the car more but til then i am happy with the height. i suppose i could take out the spacers and drop it more... but i already spent the coin on them, and i'm too cheep to buy another set to put the wheels where i want them with the lower drop. I will save that money to use one the future wheels. Thanks for the input though
      Last edited by illuder83; 01-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg
      03-29-2012 04:05 AM #7
      Howd did your springs ride before you went with the coilovers? I want to go lower, but dont want to sacrifice the smooth ride as its my dd. do you still have those springs? willing to sell?
      fir na tine

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 2007 Rabbit
      03-29-2012 06:13 AM #8
      If yoplan on keeping the classics do this otherwise looks good!
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...for-OE-Classix
      My Signature

USMC(1371) 02'-11' Semper Fi

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      03-29-2012 07:47 AM #9
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 08:10 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by porterMKV View Post
      Howd did your springs ride before you went with the coilovers? I want to go lower, but dont want to sacrifice the smooth ride as its my dd. do you still have those springs? willing to sell?
      I was on B&G Suspension Systems S2 Sports Springs which had an advertised Front and Rear Drop: 1.6" | 1.4". (Part Number: 96.1.175 if needed). the ride to me felt exactly like stock. No big sacrifice in comfort. Got them for a really nice price and helped me diminish the gap until i picked out the right coils for me. As far as selling them... you just missed out i just sold them last week for $100. To be honest i like the feel of my Coils better. the system is no where near being spun all the way down and the ride is really nice. Firm, planted feel but not jarring, not bouncy and pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by lance0206 View Post
      If yoplan on keeping the classics do this otherwise looks good!
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...for-OE-Classix
      i did see that thread, even commented on it. I really like the idea, even went out and bought the caps. will be great for winter, wont have to worry about snow/ice build up in there and still allows me to access the lug bolts without freezing my fingers off trying to take off those damn oem covers! i have bad luck with tires, have gone through 5 tires since i bought the car. i somehow manage to find road debris to damage my tires and that usually happens on snowy days

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07 RS4, 08 GLI
      03-29-2012 08:23 AM #11
      the later model gli's have blacked out trim, if youre curious about it, just cover it with some electrical tape and see how you like it

Vehicles
      PG Mk5
      03-29-2012 09:43 AM #12
      Classix without caps
      there goes the neighborhood.

@austin_norton {instagram}

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 10:03 AM #13
      the later model gli's have blacked out trim, if youre curious about it, just cover it with some electrical tape and see how you like it
      Man you're really pushing for black trim Haha! If i am not mistaken 2007 is when they started doin' black window trim, not curious on how it would look, i have seen it many times before. Keeping the trim is dependent on which way i go with wheels. If i go the polished route the current trim pieces should tie the wheels into the overall look of the car nicely (emblems, bezels in headlights and inside euro taillight assembly). At least that's how i on plan it going.

Besides, seeing how it was one of the features that saw the axe in later models, might as well see if i can make them work for me. same reason i don't plan on ever tinting my windows, i enjoy the blue tint glass and the comments that come along with it.

Thanks for the electrical tape suggestion though

If/when i do decide to remove the chrome trim i will just purchase and install some Shadowline Trim

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 10:46 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by OEM+ sluts View Post
      Classix without caps
      Completely agree. Funny how such a big difference just popping them off makes. So much so i am strongly thinking about getting a second set, demote my current ones to winter mode, and the second set as my summer setup, powdercoat them a graphite grey color, 215/45 tires, and appropriate spacing and lower the car accordingly (and alexj87,in this scenario i would black out my trim).
      Last edited by illuder83; 03-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 11:20 PM #15
      Very Small Update:
      While doing regular maintenance on the car i noticed how dirty the bay was and decided to clean it. As i looked around deciding where to start i realized i completely overlooked doing something

every time i change the oil, check the levels, or anything i look at the filler neck and say to myself, "i should take care of that next time", but never do. Today i finally did.

I know it's not a big deal, but i am happy i finally did it. Now i just gotta see how i am goin' to remove the engine cover brackets and i will be happy.

Besides that i have only added L.E.D. Plate Lights and City Lights

Oh and took these two Pictures:

Last edited by illuder83; 11-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
      18x8.5 VMR VB3, 8380 Laboratories Coilovers//Stage II (DEI Wrapped Autotech Intake,Techtonics Tuning Downpipe, GIAC Tune), New South Gauge & Vent Pod//Euro Switch, Euro GTI Front Lip, Euro Tails (Rear Fog Enabled), Painted Yellow FTP bulbs, Color Matched side markers Timeline

Vehicles
      2007 reflex wolfie
      05-17-2012 11:35 PM #16
      Loving those two dusk shots!
      Geocaching.com (ColorofMoney) Let's hunt.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2012 02:42 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeluvflixs View Post
      Loving those two dusk shots!
      thanks! I would like to say it's all my personal talent, but that would be a huge lie... it's more like 90% Luck, 6% editing, 4% talent.

Personally i was shocked that they came out that nicely and just had to share
      18x8.5 VMR VB3, 8380 Laboratories Coilovers//Stage II (DEI Wrapped Autotech Intake,Techtonics Tuning Downpipe, GIAC Tune), New South Gauge & Vent Pod//Euro Switch, Euro GTI Front Lip, Euro Tails (Rear Fog Enabled), Painted Yellow FTP bulbs, Color Matched side markers Timeline

Vehicles
      2007 reflex wolfie
      05-18-2012 07:03 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by illuder83 View Post
      thanks! I would like to say it's all my personal talent, but that would be a huge lie... it's more like 90% Luck, 6% editing, 4% talent.

Personally i was shocked that they came out that nicely and just had to share
      Sounds like my style lol, keep them coming man.
      Geocaching.com (ColorofMoney) Let's hunt.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta 2.5
      05-18-2012 08:51 AM #19
      Makes me want some classix with no caps.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI DSG
      05-18-2012 09:12 AM #20
      Window tint!!!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      StgII+ FSI (Gone), B5 4motion Passat, B6 A4 1.8T
      05-18-2012 09:52 AM #21
      nice!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2012 11:58 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by eyeluvflixs View Post
      Sounds like my style lol, keep them coming man.
      I will definitely try

Quote Originally Posted by LFZ View Post
      Makes me want some classix with no caps.
      Do it, Haha I love mine. So much so don't really mind I haven't moved on to a new set of wheels yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cd_booth View Post
      Window tint!!!
      I have contimplaited tinting the windows... but I think I will leave them how they are. The car has the OEM blue tint, which I would loose with window tint

Quote Originally Posted by DunnyCTMKV View Post
      nice!
      Thanks u very much

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-24-2012 04:50 PM #23
      Alright small update.

I have had some wheels in my possession for some time now and have been on the fence about keeping them. Put them up for sale not to long ago then decided to keep them....

Plans changed though, but not for the better. A huge gust of wind came and knocked some stuff over onto my car and really damaged my hood so now i have to put the wheels up for sale to help pay for the damage on the hood.

oh well... that's how life goes i guess.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-24-2012 04:55 PM #24
      Sucks about the hood. Hopefully you can save up again and get another set of wheels
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      '12 GTI '14 Jetta
      05-24-2012 07:07 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Black VW Jetta GLI DSG
      05-24-2012 07:14 PM #26
      Great progress!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      05-24-2012 10:32 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Sucks about the hood. Hopefully you can save up again and get another set of wheels
      Thanks hopefully i will be able to get it the hood fixed soon... or at least before August, i wanted to participate in Dubs In The Valley, just gotta figure out what i wanna do about it for Scooters GTG and EuroHangar . Wheels are definitely still in the works, just postponed for the time being. i guess i will start saving and with any luck find a nicer set come next season.

Quote Originally Posted by hussdog426 View Post
      Thanks. i like to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanML320 View Post
      Great progress!
      thank you, more coming "soon"... once i get back on track
      Last edited by illuder83; 05-24-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Vehicles
      2007 VW GLI
      05-24-2012 11:25 PM #28
      only thing about not tinting your windows is that black interior is going to be super hot in the summer.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      05-25-2012 01:14 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by bkortee View Post
      only thing about not tinting your windows is that black interior is going to be super hot in the summer.
      Very true, this is going to be the 3rd Chicagoland summer and I had a road trip down to Altanta last summer, having the black exterior and the leather interior it can get Very Hot inside when the car has been sitting outside. I just use my key fob to open the windows way before I get to the car plus I have a garage that keeps it cool when I am at home. My Datsun and Eagle both had dark interiors and vinyl seats with air conditioning that weren't charged so I am used to it. To be honest I only ever use the a/c on those humid rainy days or if they're girls in the car who can't deal... but only by request, on that note I always have 2 towels in the car for when girls are in the car. I tell them its so they don't burn their thighs on the hot seats...but in reality it's to protect my seats from booty sweat

30. Member
      Vehicles
      08-07-2012 10:42 AM #30
      Very small update:
      No ground breaking additions to the car just normal upkeep.

Kept getting the p0442 code and having the Check Gas Cap light coming on.
      - picked up a gas cap from Advanced Auto Parts for $10 bucks. Great price but the damn thing was green and didn't have the the plastic hanger thing... i know that not that big of a deal but, i gotta admit it was driving me crazy so i went to the dealer and got the highly overpriced OEM part. now i am happy but the CEL and code kept returning.

-did research about the issue and came to the conclusion of replacing the N80 valve and problem solved.

-Next was updating the pcv system. This was really easy since it was recall work, so the hardest part of this was to reaching for the remote to change the channels on the tv in the VW dealership wonderfully air-conditioned waiting room while i sat on a plush leather sofa.

-Then i Replaced the rear brakes/rotors... you know so that i can stop and not Die
      Brakes are a relatively easy job to do. I wonder how much money i saved by doing it myself...

- MFD decided to start flashing "front left dipped beam defective" as soon as i pulled into the theater to see Dark Knight Rises. Looked up that meant the light was out. figured it would be just a bulb replacement. But the light never changed color or lost brightness that is typical with HID bulbs. fearing the worse i tore apart both lights and swapped around parts to test everything. gladly it was just the bulb so i switched up to 5000k bulbs apposed to the 4300k. the change is great. especially on really dark IL back roads where extra light is much needed but still not obnoxious where i am pissing off other drivers on the road.

Lastly, over this past weekend i entered my car in a show. I have been to plenty of shows in the past but this is my first time entering a judged event. the intention was hoping to have my car in some cool pictures or videos, that has yet to be determined if that idea worked but, i did drive home with this...

31. Member
      Vehicles
      09-06-2012 07:50 PM #31
      Small additions:
      Actually had some free time so i got around to handling this

about time seein' how i had it since March. Installation is pretty straight forward, spent the majority of the time running the vacuum hose. i had to decide how to run the line while keeping the engine bay clean and looking factory. i decided to pull out the entire battery, tray and all. this route turned out to be very fruitful. underneath the battery tray is a holder and i ran the lines though that. this rout proved perfect because it hides the line, protects it, and leads right to the firewall. fun times.

Then i finally replaced my cam follower.

after 68,000 miles. not bad. The black coating was the only thing missing. Both the follower and the cam looked great. needless to say this pleased me. overall good day.

that's it for now.

Oh yeah,

Today was nice but traffic wasn't. So i went on a drive on some back roads through the woods to have some fun for a bit while traffic died down a little. Had a lil fun on some "twisty" roads, Saw a Big Ass Hawk (That was cool), moved a turtle outta the street and it pooped on me (That was gross) and took these pictures at a local forest preserve where i stopped to pee in the bushes.

okay, not That's it.
      Last edited by illuder83; 09-07-2012 at 08:33 AM.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta "sold"07 4 dr GTi, 09 Tiguan 4Motion
      09-06-2012 11:48 PM #32

33. Member
      Vehicles
      09-07-2012 09:14 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by big_hec View Post
      thank you very much

34. Member
      Vehicles
      10-19-2012 09:23 PM #34
      needed to kill some time so i decided to post up these instagram shots.

that's it for now

Vehicles
      06 GLI
      10-19-2012 09:46 PM #35
      Instagram: @subdubbin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast