Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take to put you in an electric car?

Vehicles
      Yaris x2
      03-28-2012 03:14 PM #36
      ~300 mile range at the minimum, 500± would be better

I drive from DFW to Houston several times a year and need to be able to get there without stopping for an hour (best-case scenario with 480v fast chargers) for a top-up.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

2. 03-28-2012 03:15 PM #37
      What would it take to put you in an electric car?

only if it were a hearse, which would mean my funeral...

I live close enough to work that if the fit hits the shan hard enough to knock it over then I can ride a pedestrain powered conveyance to work (aka bicycle).

I am just not wanting to jump on the whole "electric car" bandwagon that a lot of people seem to be enamored with...

Mike

Vehicles
      Current: 2014 Impreza Sport Premium, 2007 Fit Sport MT, 2006 Saabaru Aero, Previous: 2002 WRX
      03-28-2012 03:16 PM #38
      For a car used just for commuting, I wouldn't be worried about range since my commute is 9 miles one way.

I wouldn't buy an electric car until they drive as nice as sporty IC cars (think WRX or GTI) and are similarly priced. I don't really like the charge times, even though it wouldn't affect me. If electric cars had a common battery that could be swapped in 5 minutes that would really sway me. Then there would be "swap" stations instead of gas stations. I would pull in and swap my depleted battery with a new one and be one my way.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      03-28-2012 03:20 PM #39
      I would like to be in an electric or extended range electric in the near future. My commute is ~40-50 miles per day with the occasional errand running afterwards so a regular electric would work great. If I keep my allroad (I will always keep the Corrado ) in this situation then a small run about would work fantastic as I could use the wagon to do my occasional hauling and car pooling while still having the Corrado for some fun driving.

Really the only reasons I wouldn't have one right now is:

I'm buying a house (hopefully have bought a house soon)
      Have a car loan already
      Have too many cars between me and my wife
      Lack of variety in the US market

All of those reasons are easily fixed in the semi near future.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-28-2012 03:20 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by ctrapeni View Post
      For a car used just for commuting, I wouldn't be worried about range since my commute is 9 miles one way.

I wouldn't buy an electric car until they drive as nice as sporty IC cars (think WRX or GTI) and are similarly priced. I don't really like the charge times, even though it wouldn't affect me. If electric cars had a common battery that could be swapped in 5 minutes that would really sway me. Then there would be "swap" stations instead of gas stations. I would pull in and swap my depleted battery with a new one and be one my way.
      QFT
      Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

Fun
      Not as fun

Vehicles
      LA6P MK4 GTI GLX
      03-28-2012 03:20 PM #41
      price & style....
      _chewwyy l PSN: euro.lo l Yorkdale VW Sales & Leasing Consultant - Contact me for your New or Used VW!
      #ihatemk4kids

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      03-28-2012 03:28 PM #42
      First of all, I'd need batteries that are dead reliable, which can include some form of some battery replacement program.

I'll take cheap if it offers little else, but it doesn't have to be cheap if it offers something substantial. If it's fast and easy power upgrades are possible, then it becomes appealing in that manner. That's something that really interests me about electric motorcycles. Motorcycles have some attributes like horse riding that make riding appealing, and it'd be even more similar if quiet rides were possible.

Also, I like how these might be incorporated into smart grids...I'd really like to see more movement in this direction.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      03-28-2012 03:28 PM #43
      i'd be driving one now if it was <$25k.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      03-28-2012 03:29 PM #44
      If the Leaf cost $19,995 I'd buy it for the 2nd car right now.

Vehicles
      1971 Triumph T25, 2006 Honda VTX1800C, 1991 Mazda Miata, 1997 GMC Suburban
      03-28-2012 03:30 PM #45
      I think electric cars as commuter cars for the general population that don't give a **** about driving are a brilliant idea.

But this concept translates into electric cars that are woefully boring, they look, and are built like the current selection of compact economy cars; an appliance to shuttle people to and from work, and hopefully make them forget they're doing something as dreary as driving. So with the current selection of electric cars (Tesla aside, and possibly the Fisker, just because it looks amazing) its pretty much like asking what would it take to put me in a car that's as exciting as a Camry, but costs a lot more, and in the case of full EVs, is a lot more inconvenient.

So the answer is nothing, until they make something that is comparable to the current fun IC commuter cars, like the GTI, in price, sportiness, looks, features, and convenience. if I want to be economical, I can do that and still have more fun than anybody on the road with my R6, so I'll stick to that.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I think hybrids and EVs are brilliant for the general population, they just aren't for me as they sit currently.
      1991 Mazda Miata SE/1997 GMC Suburban
      1971 Triumph T25/2006 Honda VTX1800C/1978 Motobecane Mobylette

Vehicles
      Protegé
      03-28-2012 03:30 PM #46
      at least one of these

Vehicles
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      03-28-2012 03:35 PM #47
      The range (200-500 miles), initial purchase price (equivalent to popular family- or performance-oriented brands), rock-solid reliability, reasonable recharge time on the road (5-10 minutes or less) ongoing economics (no multi-thousand-dollar battery purchase down the road), affordable insurability, mid- to high-performance numbers (equivalent to V6 power, not econoboxes), and transparency of driving experience equivalent to an affordable, mid-pack ICE vehicle, plus class-leading bodywork and interior design that, as I drive by, would make children point, women grow moist, and other men insanely jealous.

Not saying any or all are currently, or even hypothetically, attainable in one vehicle, but that's what it would take for me...

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      03-28-2012 03:39 PM #48
      A free Fisker Karma.
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

14. 03-28-2012 03:42 PM #49
      It needs to have:

Same options and creature comforts of today's ICE cars

Same pricing structure of modern ICE cars

Same weight as modern ICE cars

Same driving range as today's ICE cars

Same performance as today's ICE cars

Can't take 4 hours to recharge - so, better infrastructure

Its going to be a loooong time before we get there. Hopefully some of the alternative ICE motors will gain some traction with OEMs to bridge the gap between today and the day that electrics aren't heavy, expensive, range limited, and smug.
      Last edited by paul_shark; 03-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
      03-28-2012 03:43 PM #50
      Some combination of $8 a gallon gas, an extra garage bay to park it in, and enough money to make 3 car payments reasonable.

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      03-28-2012 03:48 PM #51
      Range: 200mi min
      Price: Around $20k

Nice to have: Ability to drive it beyond the regular commute, aka charging stations like a gas station

Commute is a tad over a 100 miles, but I want to be able to make side trips if I had to. And the only EVs that come close are those stupid expensive luxo models.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      03-28-2012 04:05 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post
      All this Chevy Volt talk had me thinking.. what would it take to get you into an electric car? Cost? Styling? Value? Size?
      Cost to buy.

I only drive ~8k miles a year now and my wife drives less so we would be fine with one electric car and one gas car.

I like the Leaf but initial purchase cost is too high for me now.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      03-28-2012 04:13 PM #53
      Let me finish paying off the Prius and I'll get an EV after that.

Though if I get an EV I may sell the Prius for a Sprinter or Transit Connect. Hmmm...
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

19. 03-28-2012 04:14 PM #54
      Evo XI with electric motors at all four corners.

One can dream.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 MKIII GTI 2.Slow
      03-28-2012 04:16 PM #55
      I'd have to have a job close to work, and a second car to go the places the electric won't make it too.

It would be cool if we could have city cars electric, and that were cheap. So I can still afford a 2nd car easily enough for actually getting on the freeway. At my current job we have a GEM car. I'd use one for around town, but at the cost of it I could get 10 years of gas before it does anything usefull.

21. 03-28-2012 04:16 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      at least one of these

Unclear on the concept?

-- DavidV

22. 03-28-2012 04:17 PM #57
      In my case, seeing as I bought one and have since put 10k miles on it, literally nothing. Maybe the qeustion should be what would it take toget me out of an electric car and back into a gas burner?

-- DavidV
      Last edited by E30Cab; 03-28-2012 at 04:20 PM.

03-28-2012 04:18 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
      This basically sums it up for me.

this

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-28-2012 04:33 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Blk95VR6 View Post
      I am just not wanting to jump on the whole "electric car" bandwagon that a lot of people seem to be enamored with...

Mike
      Some of us liked playing with electric RC cars and planes and understand them in that regard. Rewinding electric motors, custom dump programming for bursts of power, etc. Hot rodding will have a new way of tinkering with them as they become used cars.

10.2 @ 123 in the quarter:

And sounding like a TIE fighter while doing it. I remember guys hopping up an EV1. Can't wait to see what they do with the Leaf and Volt.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      03-28-2012 04:41 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      10.2 @ 123 in the quarter:

And sounding like a TIE fighter while doing it. I remember guys hopping up an EV1. Can't wait to see what they do with the Leaf and Volt.

I've seen video's of this thing. The jump it takes off the line is insane.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      03-28-2012 04:48 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Merc-MarkO View Post
      I've seen video's of this thing. The jump it takes off the line is insane.
      Saw this car in person one time. The launch is crazy and it just keeps pulling.

27. 03-28-2012 04:53 PM #62
      A significantly longer commute.
      Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mustang driver

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I was more annoyed with the implication of being a Browns fan.

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12 Volt, 04 Mazdaspeed Miata
      03-28-2012 05:44 PM #63
      All these people mentioning "cost to buy", why wouldn't you look at leasing (if you can make the mileage restrictions work for you)?

You get cool technology now without any longterm commitment issues.
      Technology will evolve very quickly. By the time your lease expires batteries should be half the size, twice as efficient, charging technologies should be much better. There will be more competition, so prices should come down... No issues outside of warranty. No dead battery...

You get the benefits today (with today's limitations) and in 3 years you just get a then-current-technology car.

Disclaimer... see left <----

29. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Electric thingy and a rust bucket
      03-28-2012 05:53 PM #64
      I almost leased a LEAF last year, so not much. A touch more range and I would have done it (as due to where my gf lives and parking restrictions, sometimes I would have to go >150 miles between charges.

I've also been tempted to lease a Volt, but I like no car payments, and I don't need another car.

But if someone made a <$40k rwd sports car EV I'd scream shut up and take my money.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      PRJCT.:R Chronicles l What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12 Volt, 04 Mazdaspeed Miata
      03-28-2012 05:56 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      I almost leased a LEAF last year, so not much. A touch more range and I would have done it (as due to where my gf lives and parking restrictions, sometimes I would have to go >150 miles between charges.

I've also been tempted to lease a Volt, but I like no car payments, and I don't need another car.

But if someone made a <$40k rwd sports car EV I'd scream shut up and take my money.
      Used Tesla?

31. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Catalina, 03 Elantra, 79 CB650
      03-28-2012 06:02 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by roesner View Post
      All these people mentioning "cost to buy", why wouldn't you look at leasing (if you can make the mileage restrictions work for you)?

You get cool technology now without any longterm commitment issues.
      Technology will evolve very quickly. By the time your lease expires batteries should be half the size, twice as efficient, charging technologies should be much better. There will be more competition, so prices should come down... No issues outside of warranty. No dead battery...

You get the benefits today (with today's limitations) and in 3 years you just get a then-current-technology car.

Disclaimer... see left <----
      because any payment is still more than no payment. I've had my VW for 7 years, Motorcycle for 6. Total outlay apart from buy in and gas for both vehicles while I've owned them wouldn't cover a years payments on any electric right now.
      $2000 for VW, $1200 for bike. And that's not just upkeep
      Last edited by NashGTI; 03-28-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: edit to add wheel cost to VW

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-28-2012 06:04 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      because any payment is still more than no payment.
      You can say that about any new car. Should new cars cease to be made because you can get a used car cheaper?
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

33. Member
      03-28-2012 06:04 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Id swap my S2000 for a Tesla roadster tomorrow if i ciuld.
      http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/16791...say-that.jhtml

I was about to say that LOL

03-28-2012 06:05 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by roesner View Post
      Used Tesla?
      used roadsters havent depreciated AT ALL. theyll probably make a really good investment.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Catalina, 03 Elantra, 79 CB650
      03-28-2012 06:10 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      You can say that about any new car. Should new cars cease to be made because you can get a used car cheaper?
      Without opening a can of worms with my reply, I was just answering why I wouldn't consider leasing an electric. Strictly speaking there's not a new car available I would spend my money on at the moment. The newest vehicle I own is an 03 Hyunda Elantra I paid cash for a couple years back. If you really want to get into specifics cost is not the main reason I wouldn't buy one right now anyway.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast