Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stylish and affordable acoustic treatments for home theater?

1. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      03-28-2012 02:14 PM #1
      We recently moved into our rental home while I will be on shore duty in Texas. One of the bedrooms is being used for our home theater. The room has ceramic tile floor and painted wood paneling for the walls. The acoustics are horrible and we'd like to deaden up the sound a bit. If it was my personal house I'd do some serious retrofit but we can't do this to the rental home.

I was thinking of getting a thick floor rug and some thick padding under it. I know that will help. We can't hang a tapestry on the wall and also can't drill any large holes. What soundproofing or acoustic treatments are available other than standard pyramid foam? I remember several companies selling acoustic treatments for corners but none of them are in business anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pic for views (and no this is NOT our room)

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

2. 03-28-2012 07:53 PM #2
      gikacoustics.com
      realtraps.com

3. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      03-28-2012 10:26 PM #3
      Nice! One of those will work. Thanks!

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-01-2012 07:43 AM #4
      This may not be entirely what you're looking for, but in case someone searches and find this thread, I like Auralex products: http://www.auralex.com/category_max-...y_max-wall.asp