Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 67

    Thread: Northwest questions?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2011
      Location
      Everett,WA
      Posts
      120
      Vehicles
      1967 Bettle, 2012 Jetta GLI
      03-28-2012 07:21 PM #1
      I'm currently looking at getting a job up in Everett, Washington and I'm from southeast. How is it to live up there? Is there a big car scene? I've lived in NY,NJ,MD,GA,FL but never lived on the west coast. Didn't know how the people are over there. Is there alot of crime?

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Eastside, WA
      Posts
      342
      Vehicles
      82 16v Rabbit
      03-28-2012 07:26 PM #2
      Welcome to the northwest man ya there is a big vw/car scene here its a really easy going place and for the most part people are really cool up here
      Last edited by 82_Wabbit; 03-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 24th, 2010
      Location
      Kirkland, WA
      Posts
      701
      Vehicles
      '05 Saab 9-2x Aero
      03-28-2012 07:36 PM #3
      If you can afford it I would look for a place a little further south than Everett. Maybe in Bothell, Woodinville, Kirkland, Redmond, somewhere in that area. Nicer than Everett itself, but over all the Northwest is awesome, and you definitely learn to appreciated the sun when it comes out. Winters aren't terrible here, and the summers are to die for.
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      delete your account and start over.
      Oh the Mark 4 forums.., how I will miss you.

    4. Member H0T_SAUCE's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2009
      Location
      All over
      Posts
      797
      03-28-2012 08:15 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Glasser View Post
      If you can afford it I would look for a place a little further south than Everett. Maybe in Bothell, Woodinville, Kirkland, Redmond, somewhere in that area. Nicer than Everett itself, but over all the Northwest is awesome, and you definitely learn to appreciated the sun when it comes out. Winters aren't terrible here, and the summers are to die for.
      x2

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2011
      Location
      Everett,WA
      Posts
      120
      Vehicles
      1967 Bettle, 2012 Jetta GLI
      03-28-2012 09:31 PM #5
      Well living most of my life in fl not seeing the sun is going to be a big change but changes are good. Well at least i hope so. lol It's not set in stone yet but i thought i might as well start asking around just in case. I'm 34 latin and single so i just want to make sure there is things to do there when I'm not working so i won't be bored in a apartment with nothing to do.

    6. Member Nick the Pirate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Location
      Everett, WA
      Posts
      1,497
      Vehicles
      '83 Jetta Coupe
      03-28-2012 11:35 PM #6
      From Everett here there is a bit of a scene locally here. But not much, roads are pretty low friendy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Non_Affiliated View Post
      AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I say plunder and pillage thee swine that can't speakith in a plain language.
      Poop Coupe, Mk1 '83 Jetta Coupe Project.

    7. Member Jon.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2010
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      1,500
      Vehicles
      MK6 GLI
      03-28-2012 11:35 PM #7
      I'm from Edmonds, which is about 10 min south of Everett. My dad and sister both live in Everett. Honestly, Everett is really hit or miss. If you're around Boeing/Paine Field it can get kinda sketch especially around Casino Rd. As others have suggested, if you can afford it look to live a little south of Everett if you don't mind commuting. Even as close as Lynnwood (~10 min south) has some really nice places you could look in to. The others (Woodinville, Redmond, Kirkland, etc.) are all pretty nice too, but they will run you a bit more to live down there.

      PM me if you got any questions

    8. Member Nick the Pirate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2010
      Location
      Everett, WA
      Posts
      1,497
      Vehicles
      '83 Jetta Coupe
      03-29-2012 01:18 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gti.jon View Post
      I'm from Edmonds, which is about 10 min south of Everett. My dad and sister both live in Everett. Honestly, Everett is really hit or miss. If you're around Boeing/Paine Field it can get kinda sketch especially around Casino Rd. As others have suggested, if you can afford it look to live a little south of Everett if you don't mind commuting. Even as close as Lynnwood (~10 min south) has some really nice places you could look in to. The others (Woodinville, Redmond, Kirkland, etc.) are all pretty nice too, but they will run you a bit more to live down there.

      PM me if you got any questions
      I live a half mile off of casino Rd. Its repuataion is exaggerated really. Grown up around here and its not all that bad, just gotta keep your wits about you (and a weapon of some sort)

      Personally think Lynnwood has some way more sketch areas. And just not a fan of the city and how they handle things.
      Quote Originally Posted by Non_Affiliated View Post
      AAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I say plunder and pillage thee swine that can't speakith in a plain language.
      Poop Coupe, Mk1 '83 Jetta Coupe Project.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2011
      Location
      Everett,WA
      Posts
      120
      Vehicles
      1967 Bettle, 2012 Jetta GLI
      03-29-2012 06:21 PM #9
      Are there apartments close to Boeing? Are they in a ok area? How bad is the traffic in the area if i end up moving north or south out of Everett?

    10. Member bugflucker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 11th, 2010
      Location
      oregon
      Posts
      957
      03-29-2012 06:35 PM #10
      Screw Washington unless you snowboard .

      Between Oregon and washing the crime is mostly theft .

      Oregon








      84 Jetta 2Door Daily driver
      81 Jetta 4Door diesel Daily driver - sold 9/2011

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      453
      Vehicles
      1980 Caddy 8v, 1984 GTD
      03-29-2012 06:54 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by the rookie View Post
      Are there apartments close to Boeing? Are they in a ok area? How bad is the traffic in the area if i end up moving north or south out of Everett?
      quite a few apartments in the area close to the main boeing plant in everett, but i dunno how sketchy they are.

    12. 03-30-2012 04:01 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by bugflucker View Post
      Oregon

    13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      the barrio
      Posts
      37,285
      Vehicles
      '15 e250 bluetec, '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt
      03-30-2012 04:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Glasser View Post
      Winters aren't terrible here, and the summers are to die for.
      winters here are great if you take advantage of the riding

    14. n00b
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2012
      Location
      509
      Posts
      9
      Vehicles
      2000/VW/Jetta 1.8T/5speed
      03-31-2012 10:08 PM #14
      As far as crime in Everett its min. especially compared to cities south of Seattle

    15. Junior Member Dr.Hellbunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      PNW-NE of the Needle
      Posts
      97
      Vehicles
      81 pickup, 79 rabbit, 09 Chevy Traverse
      04-01-2012 02:35 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Glasser View Post
      If you can afford it I would look for a place a little further south than Everett. Maybe in Bothell, Woodinville, Kirkland, Redmond, somewhere in that area. Nicer than Everett itself, but over all the Northwest is awesome, and you definitely learn to appreciated the sun when it comes out. Winters aren't terrible here, and the summers are to die for.
      X3

      I'm OG Everett, born and raised... get out while you can!! only reason i go there is to visit my Moms and build Airplanes to collect a paycheck. otherwise, love this place. the best spot in the world.
      "We were put on this earth to fart around. don't let anyone tell you different"- Kurt Vonnegut
      Quote Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
      JDM guys, sneakers, lesbians, Homologation cars, replica rimz.....this thread has it all.

    16. Junior Member Dr.Hellbunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      PNW-NE of the Needle
      Posts
      97
      Vehicles
      81 pickup, 79 rabbit, 09 Chevy Traverse
      04-01-2012 02:40 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by pistol-mcgee View Post
      quite a few apartments in the area close to the main boeing plant in everett, but i dunno how sketchy they are.

      better than they used to be (we used to call Casino road "little compton") but its a decent place to get a foothold if youre new to town and starting at Boeing...

      Good Luck man, and welcome to Snohomish county!!!!!
      "We were put on this earth to fart around. don't let anyone tell you different"- Kurt Vonnegut
      Quote Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
      JDM guys, sneakers, lesbians, Homologation cars, replica rimz.....this thread has it all.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 20th, 2011
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      453
      Vehicles
      1980 Caddy 8v, 1984 GTD
      04-01-2012 04:21 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Hellbunny View Post
      better than they used to be (we used to call Casino road "little compton") but its a decent place to get a foothold if youre new to town and starting at Boeing...

      Good Luck man, and welcome to Snohomish county!!!!!

      that part of everett will always be ghetto to me maybve ive lived here too long, but like you said great commute to boeing and the other plane related places in the area

    18. Member unimogken's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      South of Jazzydub, WA
      Posts
      5,386
      Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      04-01-2012 04:51 AM #18
      I put a vote in for finding an apartment in Mill Creek.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

      Someone buy my car already!!

      Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

    19. Member volky2007's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2005
      Location
      North Marysville, Wa
      Posts
      183
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi A6 V8
      04-01-2012 04:55 AM #19
      [QUOTE=bugflucker;76648180]Screw Washington unless you snowboard .

      Between Oregon and washing the crime is mostly theft .

      Oregon


      personally i dont care for oregon and i dont think it compares to seattle, everett is not bad there are very nice apartments close to boeing, and there is a good size euro/car scene up here. hope you make the trip well, p.s. if your a soccer fan you wanna live in seattle not portland.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2011
      Location
      Everett,WA
      Posts
      120
      Vehicles
      1967 Bettle, 2012 Jetta GLI
      04-01-2012 09:21 AM #20
      I hoping everything goes well and i end up going there. I won't be working for Boeing but a company that works on Boeing's 787. I only hope that in time i can just get hired by Boeing and just actually work for them eventually. This move will be a big change for me as I will in Ga now so picking up and moving cross country is really scarying me so thats why I'm asking alot of questions. Also I just got a 2012 GLI and was going to lower it and put wheels etc. With the winter and snow should i just leave it stock?

    21. Member zane!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      3,615
      Vehicles
      Drivers, beaters, bikes
      04-01-2012 04:47 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by the rookie View Post
      I hoping everything goes well and i end up going there. I won't be working for Boeing but a company that works on Boeing's 787. I only hope that in time i can just get hired by Boeing and just actually work for them eventually. This move will be a big change for me as I will in Ga now so picking up and moving cross country is really scarying me so thats why I'm asking alot of questions. Also I just got a 2012 GLI and was going to lower it and put wheels etc. With the winter and snow should i just leave it stock?
      Don't worry about the car, plenty of people are slammed and stay low year-round.

      I'd just run your stock wheels or some steelies for the winter to avoid beating on nice wheels.

    22. n00b
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2012
      Location
      509
      Posts
      9
      Vehicles
      2000/VW/Jetta 1.8T/5speed
      04-01-2012 05:01 PM #22
      there is snow on the ground maybe a week out of the year around there
      Unless you need to cross the Past in the winter to get to Eastern WA, a lowered car do fine on the coast

    23. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,331
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      04-01-2012 07:41 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      I put a vote in for finding an apartment in Mill Creek.
      Cosigned.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2004
      Location
      Allyn, WA
      Posts
      7,777
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      04-01-2012 07:53 PM #24
      You will love it here.

      I moved to WA from New Mexico 9 years ago this summer and I love it. As everyone else has said, the summers here are amazing. I've spent a lot of time across the entire country and the PNW has one of the most beautiful summers I've experienced. The people are far more friendly here than many other places in the country. The only downside of WA is the rain in the winters, but honestly if you build up a good friend base and find hobbies that aren't effected by the rain the winters pass pretty quickly.

      My favorite thing about the Puget Sound area is: You're always near the water, you're a couple hours from the ocean, a couple hours from the mountains, close to Canada, tons of lakes, tons of camping, and for how much it rains the roads aren't as bad as many cities across the country.
      oh herro.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2011
      Location
      Everett,WA
      Posts
      120
      Vehicles
      1967 Bettle, 2012 Jetta GLI
      04-01-2012 09:09 PM #25
      Sounds awesome. I've never been to Canada so that will be cool to check that out. Are there meets throughout the year or just in the summer? Also are any latins other than mexicans? I'm Puerto Rician and being from Florida where no matter where your at in Fl theres latin food clubs etc.

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •