Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2003 MV - removing the steering wheel airbag

1. 03-28-2012 08:37 PM #1
      The Bentley has two methods for removing the airbag. One shows two tabs (top/bottom) that need to be pried up. The other shows two T30 torx bolts (left/right)

My steering wheel has two holes left and right, but using a light and mirror to look in them, there are no bolts, just flat metal.

Anyone know how to get it off? It doesn't appear to pop out like some horn covers. I've tried pulling it pretty hard. Is there another undocumented method?
      Last edited by HapG; 03-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit; '85 Quantum wagon; '82 Callaway Rabbit truck; '02 Eurovam MV; '10 Ducati 1198S Corse
      03-29-2012 02:40 PM #2
      not sure but I'd disconnect the battery just in case. Not sure if that will keep it from accidentally blowing but it can't hurt
      www.desmolition.com

Follow me on Facebook at ducatiscotty

3. 04-07-2012 05:17 PM #3
      Seriously? 70 views and not one of you has ever taken off an airbag?

I need to replace my ignition switch, and i'm stuck unless I can get the airbag/steering wheel off. I don't want to damage the airbag, or kill myself pulling it out.

Help a brotha out.
      Last edited by HapG; 04-07-2012 at 05:20 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 T4 Trakka Camper 2.5TDI Syncro, '06 Golf TDI 16V manual, '09 Tiguan TDI CR manual
      04-07-2012 07:46 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by HapG View Post

I need to replace my ignition switch, and i'm stuck unless I can get the airbag/steering wheel off.
      You don't need to remove the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch. There have been numerous writeups on this on various forums. Do a search & I also will try & find one.

Vehicles
      e36 M3, 14 FiST
      04-10-2012 11:32 PM #5
      you need to pry the bags off with a flat head screw driver. turn the wheel 90deg to one side, stick the screw driver and wiggle one side of the airbag loose. then turn 180deg and undo the other side. will take some patience, but it's quite simple once you get it

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 weekender EV
      04-22-2012 09:00 PM #6
      I did this job several years ago.i removed the plastic cowling off the back of the steering column, two screws I believe, then spent about 8 hours getting off a single screw barely visible with a small mirror and using a bent Phillips head and rotating it an 8th turn every attempt. If you need, I believe I took some photos. I didn't need to remove the airbag or anything else. Although it was very difficult it went well. I replaced the screw with a Allen head, in case I ever have a repeat. I found the past threads were of little value for an 03 weekender.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 T4 Trakka Camper 2.5TDI Syncro, '06 Golf TDI 16V manual, '09 Tiguan TDI CR manual
      04-24-2012 03:14 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
      There have been numerous writeups on this on various forums. Do a search & I also will try & find one.
      Here's one.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t4...opic61506.html