VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

First steps...

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  illuder83 
#1 ·
Ok, so my intake will be here any day now. That is my very first step towards getting more performance from my car. I have so many ideas in my head about what to do and I need to narrow it down. Top 3 on MY list are APR Stage 1, exhaust, suspension in no particular order. Im not asking about brands or which is best, etc. I just want to know which I should tackle first.

#3 ·
to me, theres no point in going low like alot of cars on here. This is my daily driver, I just want better handling and a nice clean look. The only thing is, I would like to take advantage of the APR sale right now. Why do you suggest doing exhaust first?

#4 ·
My intake is on its way too, also my first mod. My plan is an ecu flash for my next mod. It's fairly cheap and even though you do gain a little horse power and torque, it's all the other things that really interest me, such as the raised rev limiter, getting rid of the rev hang and decel lag, etc. to me, seems like the most for the ammount of money! Just my 2 cents man!

#5 ·
Yeah I cant wait to get tuned but its just a matter of what should be done first. Im wondering if they have to tune it differently based on current mods? Will they tune it differently for me if I have an intake than someone who has intake and exhaust?

#6 ·
I think so, which is why I suggest you ask them if they charge for a new flash. I'm going through c2 motorsports for mine because I have the 2.5L and they have a lot of parts for mine. They told me if I needed a new flash later when I put new stuff on they would refund my old flash and I would only have to pay if the new flash is more expensive, in which case I would pay the difference. I believe a lot of places do the same thing. Just shoot them an email and ask.

#7 ·
I went with first mod Euro LED tails, Emblem dbadge, and than a Malone stage 1 for the 130 hp I make stock at the time. So to each their own.

I'd probably go with the stage 1 because after driving my car for since 2010 purchase I wanted a change performance wise versus cosmetic wise.

Also don't go cheap with your coil overs when you eventually get them.

#13 ·
if your are goin' to do performance mods you should do intake and exhaust (or at least downpipe) first. Then get the car tuned. You said you want an APR tune, they require an 2nd tune once you upgrade to a less restrictive downpipe or turboback. Why bother messing around with stage-1, want more power and having to make two trips for flashes, so on and so forth. Downpipes are rather affordable you would be much happier having the stage-2 from the get go.

good luck man:thumbup:

#15 ·
exactly, stage 1->2 program may be free from APR but you'll still have the service fee. Maybe it's just the "frugal" side of me talking, but if you know for a fact you will get an exhaust might as well do that then get the flash to stage-2. save yourself the time, effort of doin' it twice not to mention a couple of bills that could be used elsewhere.

that's just the way i look at it. Either way the you get to the same end point so i don't think i am saying goin' one route is necessarily "better" just my opinion of the order that made the most sense to me

#16 ·
Depends on how long it will take him to save up the money. If you can do exhaust and tune now, then yeah I'd do that. But if it's one or the other and it will take a while for more money, I'd do the tune now to take advantage of the sale and just eat the shop fee. That's me though. I'm impatient and can't wait. Ya might be satisfied with stage 1 for a while and want to focus on other things than speed too. So many options...

#17 ·
I am looking at getting APR stage 1 cuz of the sale. My GTI is my daily driver(total of 70 miles a day for work), I just want a little more power and throttle response. I am looking at doing ECU Flash,Intake and adding a boost gauge(so I can keep track of it)

I love the car, just looking to make it just a bit more fun :)

#18 ·
I see that you have an '06. If you are looking at goin' a reflash, have you done the preliminary mods? Many people on here, tuning shops, and even those who make the programs suggest that you upgrade the DV, pcv system, make sure your cam follower is in shape. if you haven't keep those in mind, each have a potential to fail under even normal circumstances. Just a lil heads up. Bright side all those mods are pretty cheap.

oh yeah and after the tune keep be aware of your cam follower, check it regularly, i do every other oil change or so.

#19 ·
thanks for all the responses guys. money is somewhat tight right now, so I think I will go stage 1, then catback, then new springs (dont feel the need for coilovers yet) then downpipe, then stg 2. Should I upgrade the DV before stage 1 or after? Also, what is a PCV system and cam follower?

#23 ·
you have a 2010 so you would have the TSI engine. my suggestions about the cam follower, pcv, and d.v. was in response to the person who posted with and 06 GTI which has the FSI engine. personally i don't know if those are areas of concern with the TSI that you will have to do a lil research on, I have a FSI so my knowledge of engine "quirks" are rather limited to the engine i deal with. If you are not aware of such things about your personal engine i would first suggest doin' a lil bit of homework in the technical section before dropping money on engine mods. just food for thought

if you are more performance orientated then may wanna switch downpipe to be before catback since the d.p. is where the most power can be gained, do stage two (for the nominal fee) and run as a wolf in sheeps clothing (pardon the pun) til you save up for the rest of the exhaust

btw i don't know if you are aware, but APR has sales on their programing quite a bit, last year i believe it was on sale 3 times. if you do decide to hold out to get the minimal supporting mods then skip stage-1 and go for stage-2 you from the get go, you don't have to worry about missing out on a sale:)

either way man just have fun

#24 ·
OK great thanks a lot guys definitely a lot of thinking to do. We'll see how the month of April plays out. If business picks up, I will go...
DP
Stage 2
cat-back
suspension
then some other stuff.

If it doesn't pick up (which is NOT the plan), I will just be going Stage 1 until I can get the rest of the supporting mods, then just upgrade my ecu to stage 2. Thanks for all the help and I definitely will keep you posted. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.