People will say suspension first because MOAR LOW is all that matters apparently.
Personally, I'd go Exhaust, Stage I, then Suspension.
Ok, so my intake will be here any day now. That is my very first step towards getting more performance from my car. I have so many ideas in my head about what to do and I need to narrow it down. Top 3 on MY list are APR Stage 1, exhaust, suspension in no particular order. Im not asking about brands or which is best, etc. I just want to know which I should tackle first.
My intake is on its way too, also my first mod. My plan is an ecu flash for my next mod. It's fairly cheap and even though you do gain a little horse power and torque, it's all the other things that really interest me, such as the raised rev limiter, getting rid of the rev hang and decel lag, etc. to me, seems like the most for the ammount of money! Just my 2 cents man!
I think so, which is why I suggest you ask them if they charge for a new flash. I'm going through c2 motorsports for mine because I have the 2.5L and they have a lot of parts for mine. They told me if I needed a new flash later when I put new stuff on they would refund my old flash and I would only have to pay if the new flash is more expensive, in which case I would pay the difference. I believe a lot of places do the same thing. Just shoot them an email and ask.
I went with first mod Euro LED tails, Emblem dbadge, and than a Malone stage 1 for the 130 hp I make stock at the time. So to each their own.
I'd probably go with the stage 1 because after driving my car for since 2010 purchase I wanted a change performance wise versus cosmetic wise.
Also don't go cheap with your coil overs when you eventually get them.
if your are goin' to do performance mods you should do intake and exhaust (or at least downpipe) first. Then get the car tuned. You said you want an APR tune, they require an 2nd tune once you upgrade to a less restrictive downpipe or turboback. Why bother messing around with stage-1, want more power and having to make two trips for flashes, so on and so forth. Downpipes are rather affordable you would be much happier having the stage-2 from the get go.
good luck man
that's just the way i look at it. Either way the you get to the same end point so i don't think i am saying goin' one route is necessarily "better" just my opinion of the order that made the most sense to me
Depends on how long it will take him to save up the money. If you can do exhaust and tune now, then yeah I'd do that. But if it's one or the other and it will take a while for more money, I'd do the tune now to take advantage of the sale and just eat the shop fee. That's me though. I'm impatient and can't wait. Ya might be satisfied with stage 1 for a while and want to focus on other things than speed too. So many options...
I am looking at getting APR stage 1 cuz of the sale. My GTI is my daily driver(total of 70 miles a day for work), I just want a little more power and throttle response. I am looking at doing ECU Flash,Intake and adding a boost gauge(so I can keep track of it)
I love the car, just looking to make it just a bit more fun
oh yeah and after the tune keep be aware of your cam follower, check it regularly, i do every other oil change or so.
thanks for all the responses guys. money is somewhat tight right now, so I think I will go stage 1, then catback, then new springs (dont feel the need for coilovers yet) then downpipe, then stg 2. Should I upgrade the DV before stage 1 or after? Also, what is a PCV system and cam follower?
if you are more performance orientated then may wanna switch downpipe to be before catback since the d.p. is where the most power can be gained, do stage two (for the nominal fee) and run as a wolf in sheeps clothing (pardon the pun) til you save up for the rest of the exhaust
btw i don't know if you are aware, but APR has sales on their programing quite a bit, last year i believe it was on sale 3 times. if you do decide to hold out to get the minimal supporting mods then skip stage-1 and go for stage-2 you from the get go, you don't have to worry about missing out on a sale
either way man just have fun
OK great thanks a lot guys definitely a lot of thinking to do. We'll see how the month of April plays out. If business picks up, I will go...
then some other stuff.
If it doesn't pick up (which is NOT the plan), I will just be going Stage 1 until I can get the rest of the supporting mods, then just upgrade my ecu to stage 2. Thanks for all the help and I definitely will keep you posted.
I would have to check the paper work from the shop I always take my car to but I believe I have already replaced the DV, I will look into if I have had the Cam Follower worked on(and check it myself). As for the PCV system, they may have fixed that also. Lol
Thank you for the heads up though. That is the same stuff this shop warned me about before I bought the car. When I first started looking to parts and other goodies. The one guy there talked me outta the APR carbono intake and said biggest bang for the buck is deff softwear.
There is a good chance that the pcv has been updated, mine was updated a while back when i went in for an oil change. though i have a bsh pcv revamp in chillin' in my garage just in case. the cam follower is a pretty easy to check. if you personally havent done it yet, it looks more intimidating than it really is. check out the DIY threads on it and go for it. work checking it into your regular maintenance routine and youre set