Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: gaining weight while dieting..

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta 1.8t
      03-28-2012 10:57 PM #1
      i literally have talked to everyone about this. i'm doing this body transformation challenge for golds gym where i work & my goal was to obviously lose like 10 pounds. at the beginning of the 12 week challenge i was losing weight then i started taking these fish oil pills (efa gold lean) which was recommended by someone, but then after like a week i gained like 8 pounds. i was also doing weight training with a trainer and cardio but i don't see how i gained so much when i was losing. so i stopped taking the pills and just focused on my diet. im just confused. my trainer said im probably gaining muscle, but i want to lose weight then tone and gain muscle. i just need some different advice/tips you guys know of.

2. 03-28-2012 11:00 PM #2
      Fish oil doesn't make you gain body fat. You should be taking it.

You'd be stupid to stop resistance training for the sake of losing weight. If you want to burn fat (read: You want to burn fat) then Resistance training should be the staple of your programming.

Also, don't use the word "tone."

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta 1.8t
      03-28-2012 11:02 PM #3
      well that's why i was confused cause this specific fish oil is meant to lose weight. ive lost 2 percentages of body fat so i guess im just gaining muslce unless im doing something wrong with my diet.. why is "tone" not a good word to use? lol

4. 03-28-2012 11:38 PM #4
      Because it's not a real thing, and it makes you sound dumb. You're not dumb. Muscle is good. Fat is bad. Lifting weights will give you muscle, and take away your fat.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 GTO, 1998 Saturn SC2
      03-28-2012 11:55 PM #5
      8 lbs in one week? Unless you got some silicone put in you, I'm calling shenanigans.

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 07:10 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VduB ChicK18 View Post
      well that's why i was confused cause this specific fish oil is meant to lose weight. ive lost 2 percentages of body fat so i guess im just gaining muslce unless im doing something wrong with my diet.. why is "tone" not a good word to use? lol
      fish oil is not going to make you gain or lose fat. you are probably retaining water and you most likely need to adjust your diet. why dont you post up exactly what you ate for a day or two so we can help you.

7. Member
      03-29-2012 09:05 AM #7
      Like already said- you didn't gain 8 lbs from fish oil, so get that out of your head. If it truly was 8 lbs, then it was nothing but water weight. You don't put on 8lbs of fat or muscle in a week. Keep at the weight training and keep your diet in check. You'll be back on track.

8. 03-29-2012 10:17 AM #8
      Don't be too concerned with weight as opposed to looking in the mirror. Weight is a number that doesn't accurately reflect fat lost and muscle gained in this case. And don't worry about getting "too big" from weight lifting, it's much harder than you think. Keep it up and give your trainer some **** for saying "you're probably gaining muscle." Tell them if they were a half-decent trainer, they would know. Get after it, keep your diet in check, and everything else will fall into place. Good luck.
      Last edited by SpiffyGTI; 03-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.

9. 03-29-2012 11:37 AM #9
      Clearly those fish oil pills were anabolic

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      03-29-2012 12:24 PM #10
      Ignore the scale and focus on the changes you're seeing in your body. If you say you've gone down 2% in body fat, then you're obviously on the right road regardless of the scale going up.
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta 1.8t
      03-30-2012 10:15 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Because it's not a real thing, and it makes you sound dumb. You're not dumb. Muscle is good. Fat is bad. Lifting weights will give you muscle, and take away your fat.
      lol i won't use that word anymore then.....just won't look at the scale as much. thanks guys!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      03-30-2012 10:18 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VduB ChicK18 View Post
      lol i won't use that word anymore then.....just won't look at the scale as much. thanks guys!
      A mirror is much better than a scale.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

13. 03-30-2012 02:27 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      A mirror is much better than a scale.
      Photo's are much better than a mirror. Most of us look in the mirror every day, so you don't recognize change as it happens because it isn't dramatically different Friday compared to Thursday. You need to take pictures and compare the first of April with the first of May. If you don't feel like you look any different, then you need to work harder or eat cleaner.