The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Car Magazine claims scoop on MK7 GTI

1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 10:30 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by PassSedanGLX View Post
      Plenty of power to do what? 75hp could be plenty of power. So could 50hp. Why did you buy a car with more than that?

Fatty.
      For my last car purchase, I didn't.
      <-----

As far as my comments go, I'm simply saying that 217 is far from "pathetic".
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-02-2012 10:30 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      Stop making them bigger
      Quote Originally Posted by rawk View Post
      Please VW - Design a new set of wheels, the Detroits/Huffs/Denvers are so tired at this point.
      Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      Wheelbase is being extended by 50 mm, according to the article; doesn't necessarily translate into an increase in overall length by that amount. I would think it will be longer, but hopefully by less than that.
      Let us hope.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

3. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 10:33 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I'm not saying this as a VW leghumper but if the Focus ST really weighs in around 3223 lbs as leaks state then a reduced curb weight GTI can cut it with less hp.
      That was my thought as well, but obviously I'm not a power junkie.

Vehicles
      95 cabrio 08 jetta 08 yukon xl 13 explorer xlt
      05-02-2012 10:33 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yeeeeeaaaah. Obviously this car is tailored to the U.S. market and not Europe.
      I was joking .....I worked for vw for seven yrs I know the us is a speck on the map for sales canada sells more then we do for petes sake

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-02-2012 10:36 AM #110
      I'm not saying this as a VW leghumper but if the Focus ST really weighs in around 3223 lbs as leaks state then a reduced curb weight GTI can cut it with less hp.
      I'm not saying the current GTI is slow (I have one) but they've been hovering around the 200hp mark since 2006. VW has proven they can get north of 250 hp out of the 2.0T. I just think the GTI is due for a HP bump, considering the MKVI GTIs are putting out around 220.

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 10:37 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by taymk2 View Post
      I was joking .....I worked for vw for seven yrs I know the us is a speck on the map for sales canada sells more then we do for petes sake
      Gotcha. I was assuming it was a standard response and treated it as such. Sorry about the "rolleyes". I don't often use them, but my sarcasm meter is petering out. (petered-meter?)

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      05-02-2012 11:02 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI_CH View Post
      If you need more power than this, you either weight 500 lbs or can't drive. Thats plenty of power.
      Stupidest response of the day?
      F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

Vehicles
      CC Rline
      05-02-2012 11:06 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      I'm not saying the current GTI is slow (I have one) but they've been hovering around the 200hp mark since 2006. VW has proven they can get north of 250 hp out of the 2.0T. I just think the GTI is due for a HP bump, considering the MKVI GTIs are putting out around 220.
      Both the Fsi and Tsi 2.0t were underrated from VW. Now that VW says the new 2.0t will make 217hp, what makes you think it is not equally underrated?

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 11:06 AM #114
      OK, I'm calling you out on this one. Does Ford have a 250ish hp engine coming out soon? Yeah, but if you think a hot hatch with 217 hp is "pathetic" I don't know what to tell you. It's a freakin' daily driver car and a pretty damn good one.

I would've accepted "meh", "it's OK, but not great" or "they need to step it up", but "pathetic"? Hardly.

Also, let's see what they actually do instead of relying on rumors.
      You make a fair point. I would change my response to "meh".

My gripe is that many ultra heavy SUVs out perform this car is a straight line now. I understand straight line performance isn't everything, but is is something. Imagine how much better the GTI would be if it came with 260hp from the factory instead of 215ish. When you hear the letters "GTI" you shouldn't think econo box with a nice interior.
      F1
      Final Gear

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      05-02-2012 11:07 AM #115
      A slight power bump with new DSG and the electro-mechanical LSD and lower weight would entice me enough to trade in the MK6....that is if between now and then nothing were to happen to sour my experience with VW. Which thus far has been pretty fantastic....knock on wood...

11. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 11:16 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      I just had a thought, though. Perhaps they will bump the power up to close to what the R is, but they may not want to announce that right now with Rs sitting on lots. Why pay $32k for a car that will be out of date, outrun and an old generation in a year or so? If you think you're going to have 15% more power, then it's a more logical purchase. (If a $32,000 hatch can be logical, that is.)

12. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 11:20 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post

My gripe is that many ultra heavy SUVs out perform this car is a straight line now. I understand straight line performance isn't everything, but is is something. Imagine how much better the GTI would be if it came with 260hp from the factory instead of 215ish. When you hear the letters "GTI" you shouldn't think econo box with a nice interior.
      Well, it pretty much is an econo box with a nice interior and a performance tune. That being said, they have to be careful not to get behind and let Ford Mazda etc. eat their lunch.

Also, see my previous post. They may be holding their cards close to their vests.

13. 05-02-2012 11:50 AM #118
      My gripe is that many ultra heavy SUVs out perform this car is a straight line now.
      From C/D:

0-60 mph - 6.1 secs
      1/4 mile - 14.7 secs @ 96 mph

What "many" ultra heavy SUVs outperform it in a straight line?
      Last edited by Double-V; 05-02-2012 at 11:58 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      05-02-2012 12:38 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post

Are these official pics? If so, meh. I think the mk6 looks better than this. Plus I'd rather have a revolutionary design than evolutionary.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-02-2012 12:38 PM #120
      I just had a thought, though. Perhaps they will bump the power up to close to what the R is, but they may not want to announce that right now with Rs sitting on lots. Why pay $32k for a car that will be out of date, outrun and an old generation in a year or so? If you think you're going to have 15% more power, then it's a more logical purchase. (If a $32,000 hatch can be logical, that is.)
      That would make a good amount of sense. I know VW's MO isn't about having the most HP in their segment, but they really can't afford to sit by and let everybody else be 30+ hp ahead of them in the "hot hatch" segment.

I guess we'll see what they decide to do. I am glad they are shaving weight and hopefully with the global platform, we'll see some cost savings passed back to the consumers.

05-02-2012 12:39 PM #121

It would still be econobox with a nice interior. That won't change even if they stuff a W12 inside.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 12:46 PM #122
      It would still be econobox with a nice interior. That won't change even if they stuff a W12 inside.
      That is where you are wrong. If it had a better motor (not necessarily the w12) it would be an econo box with a nice interior that can perform.

Take the cobalt SS. A cobalt is a bare bones econo box with nothing really going for it. Strap in a better motor and great suspension and it became the best handling and best performing FWD car to date. Still has a less than stellar interior and mundane design, but at least it can say it is the best at something.
      F1
      Final Gear

18. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 12:50 PM #123
      That is where you are wrong. If it had a better motor (not necessarily the w12) it would be an econo box with a nice interior that can perform.

Take the cobalt SS. A cobalt is a bare bones econo box with nothing really going for it. Strap in a better motor and great suspension and it became the best handling and best performing FWD car to date. Still has a less than stellar interior and mundane design, but at least it can say it is the best at something.
      Nah, it's still an econobox. Certainly it can kick ass and take names, but it's still a tarted-up econobox. This is not to say that tarts can't be really, really delicious, though.

I could build up my Beetle to where it would blow the doors off of most torsion sprung 911s, but it would still be an economy car whereas the much slower 356 would not. (Yes, I'm aware that it wouldn't be "factory", but the example still holds.)

05-02-2012 12:52 PM #124

So you disagree with me then prove my point on it still being an econobox with a nice interior....

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      05-02-2012 12:58 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by SoFloGLI View Post
      Glad I still have my mkiv.
      Your MKIV that is inferior to the MK VII in performance, power to weight ratio, fuel economy, safety, creature comforts, passenger space, and driving experience? Good for you bud!
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:14 PM #126
      Nah, it's still an econobox. Certainly it can kick ass and take names, but it's still a tarted-up econobox. This is not to say that tarts can't be really, really delicious, though.
      In my explanation I forgot to sum it up, bu I meant that the Cobalt SS is still an econo box, but it is great at something. Where the GTI is also an econo box that is great at nothing with the best thing going for it is the interior.

So you disagree with me then prove my point on it still being an econobox with a nice interior....
      Perhaps I misspoke, but I always maintain that the GTI is an econo box with a nice interior. Nothing great, but some good.
      F1
      Final Gear

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:15 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Your MKIV that is inferior to the MK VII in performance, power to weight ratio, fuel economy, safety, creature comforts, passenger space, and driving experience? Good for you bud!
      Plus the 4th generation is one of the most unreliable platforms to date.
      F1
      Final Gear

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      05-02-2012 01:22 PM #128
      Perhaps I misspoke, but I always maintain that the GTI is an econo box with a nice interior. Nothing great, but some good.
      That's the way I look at mine, and not in a derogatory manner. It is what it is.

I will say that if this new one is finally getting the valve lift motor, it will be perfectly fine for a stock performance experience...regardless of what the actual HP rating is quoted at for the public.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-02-2012 01:42 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      That's the way I look at mine, and not in a derogatory manner. It is what it is.

I will say that if this new one is finally getting the valve lift motor, it will be perfectly fine for a stock performance experience...regardless of what the actual HP rating is quoted at for the public.
      Oh noez ... VW is putting in VTAK ... what will the Honda haters do now?

/And yes, I'm fully aware that nearly every new car these days implements a version of variable valve lift and duration ... I just laugh at the people who make fun of VTEC being a child's toy when, in reality, it revolutionized the way people designed engines.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      05-02-2012 01:49 PM #130
      In my explanation I forgot to sum it up, bu I meant that the Cobalt SS is still an econo box, but it is great at something. Where the GTI is also an econo box that is great at nothing with the best thing going for it is the interior.

Isn't that what this class of cars is supposed to be? Cheap performance? When did the GTI/Cobalt SS/pocket rockets get elevated to high-performance standards? It's always been my understanding they are a better performing version of an existing car allowing buyers to have a better driving experience at a low price while still allowing utility while remaining a fully functioning daily driver.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 01:55 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Isn't that what this class of cars is supposed to be? Cheap performance? When did the GTI/Cobalt SS/pocket rockets get elevated to high-performance standards? It's always been my understanding they are a better performing version of an existing car allowing buyers to have a better driving experience at a low price while still allowing utility while remaining a fully functioning daily driver.
      Totally agree But like I said, the GTI is falling too far behind in the performance category.
      F1
      Final Gear

05-02-2012 02:05 PM #132
      Totally agree But like I said, the GTI is falling too far behind in the performance category.
      Sentra SE-R
      Civic Si
      FR-Z/BRZ (yes I know RWD!)
      Focus ST (heavy curb weight)

Performance may not be really any worse than any of these so I don't see why the GTI needs to be the hp leader. This is as silly as Swallow D and his insistance on boasting everytime Honda gets trumped by Hyundai as if Honda must be the segment leader in all sorts of metrics.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-02-2012 02:10 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      From C/D:

0-60 mph - 6.1 secs
      1/4 mile - 14.7 secs @ 96 mph

What "many" ultra heavy SUVs outperform it in a straight line?
      ?

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:16 PM #134
      Well from the rumors circulating the MKVII should make quite the leap in terms of performance. The lighter weight, improved handling, and even slight power bump will help greatly. While I see your point about not being the best at any one thing (compared to its rivals) I disagree this is something to fault VW for. The buff books and auto journos constantly heap praise on the GTI that it is the best all-rounder. Does it excel at any one thing? Not exactly, but it does almost everything really really well. While a competitor may have a faster 0 - 60 time, it might have a coarse or peaky engine. Does another competitor handle better? It may suffer from a punishing ride. I think it's far more difficult for an automaker to get an economy car to perform very well in all areas vs. being good at one thing while other areas are missed.

Vehicles
      WRB ZC6L
      05-02-2012 02:17 PM #135
      Sentra SE-R
      Civic Si
      FR-Z/BRZ (yes I know RWD!)
      Focus ST (heavy curb weight)

Performance may not be really any worse than any of these so I don't see why the GTI needs to be the hp leader. This is as silly as Swallow D and his insistance on boasting everytime Honda gets trumped by Hyundai as if Honda must be the segment leader in all sorts of metrics.
      Why do you guys feed the troll? All he does is show up in GTI threads and prattle on about horsepower. Ignore him.
      14 torque-less wonder | 08 sorority special | seventwosix | flickr

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 02:20 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      Are these official pics? If so, meh. I think the mk6 looks better than this. Plus I'd rather have a revolutionary design than evolutionary.
      Those are renderings. It looks like they came from different sources yet look strikingly similar so I'd guess they're pretty close to the real thing.

32. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-02-2012 02:22 PM #137

Oh, I think the GTI holds up just fine, but it's strength is it's balance in performance and day-to-day use. It's good at a great many things without being the best-in-class at any particular one (with the possible exception of the aforementioned interior). There's nothing wrong with either philosophy, though, that's for sure.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      05-02-2012 02:35 PM #138
      I guess this is what you are referring to...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...nce-benchmark/

Baruth is a prick, but it was a funny read...

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      05-02-2012 02:40 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      I guess this is what you are referring to...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...nce-benchmark/

Baruth is a prick, but it was a funny read...
      This same guy picked a MK6 GLI over a GTI and Golf R.

He has no integrity in my book.

05-02-2012 02:46 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      Why do you guys feed the troll? All he does is show up in GTI threads and prattle on about horsepower. Ignore him.
      I'm at work. Since I don't swim in the deep web I don't have much else to do.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast