Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Do you have a "back up" older computer at home?

Voters
    10. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes.

9 90.00%
    • No.

1 10.00%

Thread: Do you have a "back up" older computer at home?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      03-29-2012 02:30 AM #1
      I originally thought I was going to give my old PC away when I got my new one a few years ago.. but then I had a virus issue and the old computer helped me get info and drivers off the internet. so I decided to keep it as a back up, and I have watched for dirt cheap upgrade parts for it (for fun).

Keeping a back up old computer seems logical, but then giving it to somebody that needs A computer also seems logical.
      Anybody else do this?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      03-29-2012 08:38 AM #2
      I have a NAS that I backup all my pictures and documents to. This then backs up to a connected external hard drive. I know, ideally, it would backup to a cloud somewhere, but I haven't done that.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

3. 03-29-2012 10:02 AM #3
      Yes, I have an older computer that I don't use to act as a spare in case my main computer has some sort of hardware failure. And I do (not frequent enough) backups to a removable I store off-site.

4. n00b
      03-29-2012 10:58 AM #4
      I use one of my desktop computers for back-up media storage. I keep all my picture files, important docs, etc. stored on there to free up the space in my laptop. But don't worry I'm also backed up in a few other hard drives. No use putting all your eggs in one basket.

What I like about having it as a media computer, is that I can hook it up to the TV and use Google TV to watch video and Netflix. No need for cable.

Vehicles
      13 abarth//90 325iS//20-speed roadie
      03-29-2012 11:36 AM #5
      I've got a desktop and a notebook that aren't hooked up. they're just sitting around with one or two things wrong with them but otherwise functional. I have another notebook that I have as a print and file server, too. I guess I can use any of those if anything goes wrong with my main notebook or desktop. also, it's a good idea to backup your files off-site. maybe use a $30 pogoplug at a friend's or relative's place.

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      03-30-2012 12:42 PM #6
      Well I have my work laptop, but no, I do not keep a backup pc. If my computer breaks... I fix it. Simple enough.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

7. 03-31-2012 10:09 AM #7
      I had a boot drive problem on the main PC. Took out the drive, connected it to the backup computer and scandisk. It repaired some corrupt files and directories.

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      03-31-2012 10:58 AM #8
      I have 4 computers and a new 1900 poweredge server so I have backups if my main goes bad.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      03-31-2012 01:39 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      I have 4 computers and a new 1900 poweredge server so I have backups if my main goes bad.
      I have three desktops, plugged in, a laptop and an NAS server. Plus, 2 older Dells that I'm trying to give away to someone who needs a PC and and a 2500+ Barton core that's retired. Yeh, I guess I have a backup pc...or six.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.