VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Intel Report: New Audi A3, More Body Styles for USA (Including Sportback)

11K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  TWinbrook46636 
#1 ·

Last month in Geneva Audi revealed the new 3-door A3. Not surprisingly, and just as with the last-generation car, there’s little potential for a 3-door configuration in the USA. Further, previous viewpoints on the A3 suggested only the sedan would come to America. Fortunately for fans who prefer something other than four doors, we’re now hearing even that more could be bound for the States.

While in Geneva we spoke at length with Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen and Audi AG board member for Marketing Peter Schwarzenbauer about the car’s stance in America. Here’s some of what we found.

Full Story

See less See more
#2 ·

The theory here is simple. A unique body style dedicated to hybrid or alternative fuel drivetrains makes a statement. de Nysschen didn’t reference it but an obvious parallel can be drawn to the Toyota Prius. There’s no mistaking the Prius for any other Toyota and it makes a visual statement. Audi is thinking it may have a similar opportunity in the States with the Sportback. Such a move likely won’t make performance-minded A3 owners happy but it is in intriguing proposition just the same.

Full Story
I snipped the above from the article but it is almost word-for-word the same argument that I made in the de Nysschen chat thread so long ago. It's nice to see that the rantings of the rabid fans are heard.

Edit - that A7 style sportback rendering is an abomination. please replace it with a proper wagon configuration with a sexy clamshell style rear hatch like the Q7.

#11 ·
Come on now!

Bought my current A3 in '07 and it still puts a smile on my face every time I step into it.

Now to hear that the only way to stay in the hatchback body style is to move over to the dark side (hybrids)! Come on Audi, bring the hatchback style to the US, but give us the option of a motor for people who like to drive!

#13 ·
come on Audi!

I've had 4 Audi's ( 3 A4's and a 5000), and still have two of the A4's... I have a B5 and a B6, both bought new, but getting a bit long in the tooth... What to replace them with? The B8 is too big and heavy. The B5 is the right size, but the B6 a much better car.... Cost has gone out of control too. To replace my B6 with same spec B8, it'd cost another 10k.. Emmm.. don't think so! I like the sport back render, but never liked the A3 we got here... Bring me the same sedan at the car show... I need that 5cyl turbo!

#14 ·
No Hatch = No Interest

Look if I wanted a sedan I would just go buy an A4. As the current owner of an A3 if they dont bring it to the US I will just go buy a GTI or Mini Cooper 5 door. How about them apples.

I dont understand this whole thing with the sedans in the US. They are impractical for carrying anything other than groceries. Duh.

#16 ·
I have absolutely no problem if Audi goes the sedan only route - my biggest concern is powertrains: will we get a 2.0T+Quattro+Manual transmission combination?

I would bet that there would be greater uptake on a sedan + quattro + stick than there would a wagon + quattro + stick if we had to choose between the two.

Limiting the alternative powertrains to the Sportback design is not a bad idea at all.

The bigger overall problem is the timeline. We shouldn't expect the sedan until 2014. Yikes that's a long time.

#18 ·
Limiting the alternative powertrains to the Sportback design is not a bad idea at all.
Agree. Doubles the exclusivity. George points out that the hybrid model won't look like the sportback photoshop- (instead it'll be something along the line of a GT Touring) - Too bad- the A3 looks pretty good with the sportback roofline- To me, better or as good as the A7. Compare...

#17 ·
Hmm

Wait a minute... 3800lb for an A3? Damn. Even if they brought me just what I want (doubt it) at a reasonable price (even less likely), it will weigh 400lb more than my B6 which is too heavy already? That will be a deal breaker. I think the new Boxster S is looking more likely all the time.... I plan to get a new car in about 4 years, so I've got a bit of time to sort it out I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.