Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: NTSB Accident Reports... anyone else browse them?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      03-29-2012 01:33 PM #1
      I don't know why, and yes it can be morbid, but I enjoy going through the accident reports in my state every few months. Some are pretty good, while some are tragic.

Post links to some of your favs.

Sikorsky 92 w/ 18 on board doing 72 knot roll landing, possibly due to a missing nut: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...20X65144&key=1

Balloon pilot "in ballooning, it is a common practice to scrape against the tops of trees" : http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...22X83304&key=1
      Roll Tide & War Eagle but stuck in LSU Country
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      Saints - WHO DAT! ROAD WIN?!
      NOLA Pelicans
      Orioles - Thank You Showalter & all the O's!

2. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      03-29-2012 01:57 PM #2
      When I was in aviation law... all TOO frequently. I worked for Piper Trust among others manufacturers.

Geesh.. some of the shiznit people would do then turn around and sue Piper were just out there. Cases were forced into mandatory arbitration so it was interesting talking to the lawyers and "victims" looking for $$$ from the Trust.

Now USAir, Sikorsky and Parker-Hanafin(sp) those were pretty interesting cases.. but I digress.

Some interesting stuff out on their site.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      03-29-2012 03:41 PM #3
      It's always amazing to read those reports. 99% are stupid pilot tricks, and 1% are just Aww Sh** moments.
      I always go crazy over the lawsuits though. A guy flying an airplane that hasn't had an annual in 13 years, with an engine that's a thousand hours past TBO runs out of gas and crashes. He sues the engine manufacturer because the engine quit, he sues the guy who did the annual 13 years ago because he was the last mechanic to touch the airplane, etc., etc., etc.
      There was a case here in Oregon that just closed where GE had to pay damages to the victims of a helicopter crash. The pilots took off 3/4 ton over weight on a hot day in a 50-year-old helicopter, and somehow it was GE's fault that the damned thing wouldn't fly.
      Millions an millions of dollars. Aughhh!!!!
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog |ights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Vehicles
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 1996 GTI hoopty
      03-29-2012 11:37 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by David@vwvortex View Post

Now... Parker-Hanafin(sp) those were pretty interesting cases.. but I digress.

Some interesting stuff out on their site.
      Is the Parker Hannifin the one with the Senator or Governor, Callahan, Carlahan, something like that?
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

5. 03-30-2012 10:03 AM #5
      I have a passion for aviation safety and read accident reports fairly often. I got lucky enough to have an internship with the NTSB in the summer between my junior & senior year of college. Plenty of good stories.

Navion Accident (VFR into IMC):

Citation 550 Accident (lots of contributing factors - the caravan in the background is from a different accident):

6. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-30-2012 11:24 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Is the Parker Hannifin the one with the Senator or Governor, Callahan, Carlahan, something like that?
      Newp.. TWA Flight 800(fuel probes and pumps) and USAir 427(rudder controls). Worked on both cases.

Vehicles
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 1996 GTI hoopty
      03-30-2012 04:12 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by David@vwvortex View Post
      Newp.. TWA Flight 800(fuel probes and pumps)...
      TWA 800. Oy...
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

8. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      03-30-2012 05:58 PM #8
      I minored in Aviation Safety when I was in college, and picked it due to my fascination with large scale engineering disasters. When I get bored, I tend to cruise through the NTSB database and read for hours on end.

JP had it mostly right. It's more of an 80/20 rule of stupid pilot tricks and some legitimate Sweet Baby Jesus what's happening moments. That being said, plenty of the SBJ what's happening moments have a lot of stupid pilot tricks (or poor training) that lead up to them.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      03-31-2012 01:41 AM #10
      damn My CFI told me stories of him carrying a passenger regularly. The passenger only carried a briefcase or a small bag and was sometimes handcuffed to it. My CFI ran into him couple of years later and asked the ole "so I always wondered what was in the bag?" and he said that sometimes it was $200k in cash. He supposedly worked for a bank.

Permission to buzz the Sirrus : http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...30X05145&key=2
      Roll Tide & War Eagle but stuck in LSU Country
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      Saints - WHO DAT! ROAD WIN?!
      NOLA Pelicans
      Orioles - Thank You Showalter & all the O's!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-01-2012 02:17 PM #11
      This is my personal favorite. Happened just up the road at PDX. I knew the guy, and I just shake my head any time I think about it. Dumbest pilot ever? Perhaps.
      http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...98FA047&akey=1
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Vehicles
      VW C30 Stingray
      04-01-2012 08:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      1982 Rabbit Convertible, 1984 Rabbit GTI, 1997 Jetta GT
      04-01-2012 10:19 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      This is my personal favorite. Happened just up the road at PDX. I knew the guy, and I just shake my head any time I think about it. Dumbest pilot ever? Perhaps.
      That's pretty bad. What ever happened to him? I still think Jim Inhofe is worse.

04-01-2012 11:18 PM #14
      Wait - what? Do I understand the information correctly that the pilot of a twin-engine airplane decided to take off with only 1 working engine and hoped that maybe the other engine would start once they were going fast in flight?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-01-2012 11:49 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Wait - what? Do I understand the information correctly that the pilot of a twin-engine airplane decided to take off with only 1 working engine and hoped that maybe the other engine would start once they were going fast in flight?
      Yep. Idiots. He thought he could 'compression start' a jet! One of the guys at the FBO told me that the copilot had abandoned ship when the guy first decided to try it and then he put one of the pax in the right seat. I guess when the FAA showed up, the airplane was sitting gear-up in the weeds and the guy had his leatherman out trying to remove the CVR. It was pretty funny (since no one got hurt!)
      The airplane sat on a stack of pallets over by FlightCraft for months afterwards while they tried to figure out what to do with it.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

15. 04-02-2012 06:56 AM #16
      Dumbest passengers ever?
      Fixed. When the co-pilot jumps out and says "eff this!", you should probably follow.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-02-2012 10:06 AM #17
      Agreed!
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

17. Global Moderator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-02-2012 10:16 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      TWA 800. Oy...
      Yup.. my brain hurt after pouring over all the documentation from Boeing on that one. Same fuel pumps and probes were used on the 707/KC-135, B-52's and 747. Facinating case. Dealing with the personal side of it.. not so nice especially when dealing with causes of death for the folks that they recovered. Blah.

I also worked on USAir Flight 1016. Microburst on landing and the plane "landed" short. THAT was nasty b/c I had to handle all the autopsy photos and keep them under lock and key. The personal damages side of that was just a nightmare and was ultimately why I decided NOT to go into law.

USAir 427 was just horrible b/c I had to listen to the CVR way too many times. They were so close to catching it before it rolled over.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      04-04-2012 01:57 PM #19
      a trip estimated by Microsoft's Streets and Trips to be about two hours and ten minutes long.
      I wasn't aware that people were still using that program

On a side note, several of my roommates in college were (are) pilots and we saw some crazy stuff. There were a few times we almost ended up on those reports.

Here's one that happened just a stone's through from our Fraternity: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/br...28X00371&key=1

Kid was out all night drinking, met a girl (older single mother), stole a plane, flew around in the fog, then crashed nose first just off campus.
      Back in the saddle again!

RIP MkIII Jetta. 6 years, 160k miles and countless memories.
      Gone too soon, 2007 9-3 Aero Sport-Combi.

19. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LEAF for the weekdays, E9 for the weekend
      04-04-2012 02:11 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by kar_nut View Post
      Fixed. When the co-pilot jumps out and says "eff this!", you should probably follow.
      Yeah, if someone who knows how to fly the plane wants out, staying there is monumentally stupid.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

20. 04-04-2012 03:20 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Brendan@bwalkauto View Post
      Yeah, if someone who knows how to fly the plane wants out, staying there is monumentally stupid.
      The worst part is that the pilots' conversation with the passengers made it sound like they at least had some sort of basic aviation knowledge. Given that, I'm not sure how their response to seeing the copilot bail was "Shotgun!!!!"

21. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      04-04-2012 06:46 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by kar_nut View Post
      The worst part is that the pilots' conversation with the passengers made it sound like they at least had some sort of basic aviation knowledge. Given that, I'm not sure how their response to seeing the copilot bail was "Shotgun!!!!"
      Yeah, can you imagine? Wacko.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

22. 04-05-2012 10:17 AM #23
      Does anybody remember the P-51 collision at AirVenture 2007? That was another one I had the opportunity to assist in the investigation. Unfortunately I also witnessed it.