Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 253

    Thread: HPA Motorsports Haldex Gen.4 “Competition” Controller for Golf R

    1. 03-29-2012 08:27 PM #1


      With the North American release of the sporty Gen.4 Haldex-equipped VW R20 and Audi TT-RS, HPA is proud to announce the release of its exclusiveCompetition” controller for these newest platforms.

      In 2004, HPA collaborated with the engineers at Haldex to develop an exclusive Competition variant of the Gen.1 Haldex ECU. Unlike any existing controller, HPA’s Competition unit retained rear driveline engagement under braking; a key advantage in motorsports, and for driving enthusiasts.

      Once again, we worked with the team at Haldex to develop this exclusive Gen.4 Competition version, and bring this potent technology back to the market. The HPA Gen.4 Competition Controller is calibrated similar to the "Race mode" setting used in the standard Gen.4 Performance Controllers, but has the additional feature of increasing the clutch torque when braking. By doing so, wheel brake torque is now transferred rearwards through the AWD clutch, offering a far more aggressive deceleration capability. Additionally, the Competition controller will support left foot braking without disengaging the 4-motion clutch while out on the track.

      This Gen.4 Competition unit does not offer the selectable modes offered in our standard Gen.4 Haldex Performance Controllers (Stock, Race, and Eco, for reference), and therefore no extra switch or remote is required.

      The HPA Competition controller is the ultimate tuner solution for your Gen.4 Haldex-equipped car.



      The Gen.4 Competition controller is available at a price of $1099.00 + shipping. International customers should contact HPA directly for a shipping quote to their destination.

      Orders can be placed with Visa/MC by calling HPA directly at 604.598.8520 ext.110. PayPal payment can also be processed via the HPA Website.

      More information on HPA’s Haldex controllers can be found at the following link:

      http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm
      Last edited by VAD@HPA; 03-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.

    2. Member DioMacchina's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey
      Posts
      257
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-29-2012 09:11 PM #2
      Will this controller cause any binding? Group Buy? Please?

    3. 03-29-2012 09:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DioMacchina View Post
      Will this controller cause any binding? Group Buy? Please?
      No binding, you still have an open diff at the rear. This controller simply converts the 4-motion into a true awd platform.
      Marcel Horn
      T: 604-888-7274
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 24 years of tuning VW's

    4. Member DioMacchina's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey
      Posts
      257
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-29-2012 09:28 PM #4
      Awesome. Will there be any reduction in the safety feature or traction control in incliment weather?

    5. 03-29-2012 10:36 PM #5
      everyone that has run this configuration with our Gen 1 Comp has had no issues in bad weather. the ESP is still active and will use the brake system to correct if needed.
      Marcel Horn
      T: 604-888-7274
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 24 years of tuning VW's

    6. Member volksgti06's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2009
      Location
      Houston, Tx
      Posts
      178
      Vehicles
      12' Cw Golf R
      03-29-2012 10:37 PM #6
      Oem Tinted Led Tails with rear Fog-Piano Gloss Black Vw Badge-Carbon Window Tint, Bilstein Pss-10 Coilovers

    7. Member sentari's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      470
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Turbo/DSG and 2008 Audi A4 Cab 2.0
      03-30-2012 10:21 PM #7
      A little different, but I have a GEN2 and leave mine in RACE mode nearly all the time (I do have the remote though). I have never had any issue with the traction control/ABS or other OE audi safety features. They work just like normal. Turn those off at your own Peril in the snow!
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2008 Audi A4 2.0T Cab (Hi-Flow Cat and APR Tune!)
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

    8. 04-03-2012 07:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by sentari View Post
      A little different, but I have a GEN2 and leave mine in RACE mode nearly all the time (I do have the remote though). I have never had any issue with the traction control/ABS or other OE audi safety features...

    9. 04-18-2012 07:13 PM #9
      Our initial shipment of Gen.4 Competition controllers has arrived, and there are a few remaining after our backorders have been filled.

      Interested? Get your orders in while you can...

    10. Member AutoX Matt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2011
      Location
      South New Jersey
      Posts
      119
      Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco 16V, '12 Golf R
      04-24-2012 08:38 PM #10
      How would this affect mpg during constant speed highway cruising? Does it still disconnect the rear axle under those types of conditions like I understand the stock controller does?

      I understand that during hard / aggressive driving the mpg will drop, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'm curious about when I'm cruising around & commuting.

    11. Banner Advertiser Sales@HPAmotorsports's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2007
      Location
      Surrey, BC, Canada
      Posts
      1,561
      Vehicles
      Fast VW's.
      04-25-2012 05:02 PM #11
      It would technically be a bit less due to it not disconnecting the drive shaft under low load situations.

      How much its going to affect it I cant specifically quantify, I wouldn't expect it to be more than a 1-2mpg drop at most.
      Keir Parsons
      T: 604-598-8520 x103 E: sales@hpamotorsport.com
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 20 years of tuning VW's

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2012
      Location
      Fort Irwin, California
      Posts
      224
      Vehicles
      Stage3+ 07' B7 RS4/Stock 13' Corolla S/Stage 2+ 12' Golf R (SOLD)
      04-26-2012 01:34 AM #12
      I
      Last edited by sicgolfrowner; 07-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.
      APR Stage III+, Gruppe M Intake, Bilstien PSS10, StopTech Trophys, Full Milltek, Custom Hertz Audio, JL subs, HRE P47 Mono block forged Wheels

    13. 04-26-2012 09:36 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by sicgolfrowner View Post
      ...This is not an ecu upgrade correct and does not have anything to do with engine management?...Is it only used to control the rear diff? I have already ordered APR stage upgrade and was wondering if it would work in conjunction.
      Nothing to do with your ECU...the Haldex is not an engine management system...it will will work in conjunction with an engine flash, no conflict.

      Read more here.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2012
      Location
      Fort Irwin, California
      Posts
      224
      Vehicles
      Stage3+ 07' B7 RS4/Stock 13' Corolla S/Stage 2+ 12' Golf R (SOLD)
      04-26-2012 10:58 AM #14
      Cheers thanks
      APR Stage III+, Gruppe M Intake, Bilstien PSS10, StopTech Trophys, Full Milltek, Custom Hertz Audio, JL subs, HRE P47 Mono block forged Wheels

    15. 04-26-2012 02:56 PM #15
      Just got the Gen 4 Race mode controller yesterday for my 09 Audi TTS, I'm stage 3 on the car, and it used to just completely sucked in hard corners, also sucked if you wanted to have ANYYYY fun in the winter.

      Haldex made the car completely unpredictable for someone who has drive a subaru, or an audi a4 with the quattro awd. Those awd systems are just simply amazing.

      While I've hated haldex for a couple years now, it's even made me think of selling the car, this COMPLETELY FIXES IT!!!!

      THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH HPA!

      if you want to know what i'm talking about for those of you that haldex is the first awd experience, simply go to a empty walmart parking lot at night, and try to go act like your going to do a figure 8 around 2 light poles, and as you floor it and come out of the corner, the original haldex would totally pull you through as if it were front wheel drive, then the rear would kick in, making a really awkward unnatural feeling, and the car would try to correct itself and then would turn too sharp, and you just end up fighting with the car, WITH HPA's FIX, its COMPLETE OPPOSITE, the car comes out of the corner with slight rwd pushing the car rather than pulling, and its a MILLION TIMES BETTER! (an no its not TOO much rwd now, its the PERFECT RATIO)

      I really recommend this to anyone that likes to have fun in their car, and actually enjoys driving. Its worth it by far.

      Axel

    16. 04-26-2012 03:04 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jensen.axel View Post
      Just got the Gen 4 Race mode controller yesterday for my 09 Audi TTS, I'm stage 3 on the car, and it used to just completely sucked in hard corners, also sucked if you wanted to have ANYYYY fun in the winter.

      Haldex made the car completely unpredictable for someone who has drive a subaru, or an audi a4 with the quattro awd. Those awd systems are just simply amazing.

      While I've hated haldex for a couple years now, it's even made me think of selling the car, this COMPLETELY FIXES IT!!!!

      THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH HPA!

      if you want to know what i'm talking about for those of you that haldex is the first awd experience, simply go to a empty walmart parking lot at night, and try to go act like your going to do a figure 8 around 2 light poles, and as you floor it and come out of the corner, the original haldex would totally pull you through as if it were front wheel drive, then the rear would kick in, making a really awkward unnatural feeling, and the car would try to correct itself and then would turn too sharp, and you just end up fighting with the car, WITH HPA's FIX, its COMPLETE OPPOSITE, the car comes out of the corner with slight rwd pushing the car rather than pulling, and its a MILLION TIMES BETTER! (an no its not TOO much rwd now, its the PERFECT RATIO)

      I really recommend this to anyone that likes to have fun in their car, and actually enjoys driving. Its worth it by far.


    17. Junior Member EsqR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Redneck Riviera
      Posts
      90
      05-04-2012 10:13 AM #18
      Thanks Darryl for getting the Gen 4 Comp controller shipped out the same day I ordered it. After I hit the tail of the dragon in a couple weeks I will try and get a review of the new controller up on the forums. I'll try and get a run in with an R without the controller and then one in mine to give a good comparison.

    18. 05-04-2012 01:13 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      Thanks Darryl for getting the Gen 4 Comp controller shipped out the same day I ordered it.
      No problem...

      Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      After I hit the tail of the dragon in a couple weeks I will try and get a review of the new controller up on the forums. I'll try and get a run in with an R without the controller and then one in mine to give a good comparison.
      I would appreciate it, as would many would-be buyers I am sure...

    19. Member wayneGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      MA / Berlin, DE
      Posts
      481
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-06-2012 08:07 AM #20
      Darryl - can you clarify the differences in the competition controller and the switchable Gen 4 units?

      I ordered the switchable Gen 4 because I wanted the option of going back to stock mode, but I emailed you guys and asked if Race on the switchable was the same as the competition only unit. Keir said this was true with a quite clear "The Race mode is the same as the Competition only unit. You will also get the switchable function to go between Stock, ECO, or Race."

    20. 05-07-2012 10:16 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by wayneGTI View Post
      Darryl - can you clarify the differences in the competition controller and the switchable Gen 4 units?

      I ordered the switchable Gen 4 because I wanted the option of going back to stock mode, but I emailed you guys and asked if Race on the switchable was the same as the competition only unit. Keir said this was true with a quite clear "The Race mode is the same as the Competition only unit. You will also get the switchable function to go between Stock, ECO, or Race."
      Hmmm. Reading the website it sounds to me that the Race and Competition are quite different:

      "The HPA Gen.4 Competition Controller is calibrated similar to the "Race mode" setting used in
      the standard Gen.4 Performance Controllers, but has the additional feature of increasing the clutch torque when braking. By doing so, wheel brake torque is now transferred rearwards through the AWD clutch, offering a far more aggressive deceleration capability. Additionally, the Competition controller will support left foot braking without disengaging the 4-motion clutch while out on the track."

    21. Banner Advertiser Sales@HPAmotorsports's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2007
      Location
      Surrey, BC, Canada
      Posts
      1,561
      Vehicles
      Fast VW's.
      05-07-2012 11:37 AM #22
      I said the torque lockup under acceleration/load was the same. If this was misunderstood I apologize.

      The entire function is not the same.

      the Competition unit will keep the rear end engaged under braking where the stock, or switchable unit will not.
      Last edited by Sales@HPAmotorsports; 05-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
      Keir Parsons
      T: 604-598-8520 x103 E: sales@hpamotorsport.com
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 20 years of tuning VW's

    22. Member wayneGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2011
      Location
      MA / Berlin, DE
      Posts
      481
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-07-2012 01:58 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Sales@HPAmotorsports View Post
      I said the torque lockup under acceleration/load was the same. If this was misunderstood I apologize.

      The entire function is not the same.

      the Competition unit will keep the rear end engaged under braking where the stock, or switchable unit will not.
      Apparently I misunderstood.

      What I said:
      "The race mode on this is the same as the competition only, correct? I just want to be sure of that."

      What you said:
      "The Race mode is the same as the Competition only unit. You will also get the switchable function to go between Stock, ECO, or Race"

    23. Banner Advertiser Sales@HPAmotorsports's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2007
      Location
      Surrey, BC, Canada
      Posts
      1,561
      Vehicles
      Fast VW's.
      05-07-2012 02:22 PM #24
      Sorry that was poor wording on my part.

      If we need to correct your order because of it, please call the shop and we'll get it sorted out.
      Keir Parsons
      T: 604-598-8520 x103 E: sales@hpamotorsport.com
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 20 years of tuning VW's

    24. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2010
      Location
      Fine City
      Posts
      65
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      05-08-2012 02:29 PM #25
      can't wait to install mine..tks again daryl for the speedy processing :p


      Tapatalk
      Golf R CW 3DR|DSG|APRII+ Capristo with Remote|APR Divorced DP|APR HPFP|Neuspeed P-Flo|Neuspeed TOP|Eurojet FMIC||H&R Sway Bars|Supaloy Control Arms|Competition Haldex|HPA Dogbone|Adam's Rotors|APR RFD|AEM WMI Kit

    Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •