VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HPA Motorsports Haldex Gen.4 ?Competition? Controller for Golf R

86K views 253 replies 76 participants last post by  VAD@HPA 
#1 · (Edited)
HPA Motorsports Haldex Gen.4 “Competition” Controller for Golf R

With the North American release of the sporty Gen.4 Haldex-equipped VW R20 and Audi TT-RS, HPA is proud to announce the release of its exclusiveCompetition” controller for these newest platforms.

In 2004, HPA collaborated with the engineers at Haldex to develop an exclusive Competition variant of the Gen.1 Haldex ECU. Unlike any existing controller, HPA’s Competition unit retained rear driveline engagement under braking; a key advantage in motorsports, and for driving enthusiasts.

Once again, we worked with the team at Haldex to develop this exclusive Gen.4 Competition version, and bring this potent technology back to the market. The HPA Gen.4 Competition Controller is calibrated similar to the "Race mode" setting used in the standard Gen.4 Performance Controllers, but has the additional feature of increasing the clutch torque when braking. By doing so, wheel brake torque is now transferred rearwards through the AWD clutch, offering a far more aggressive deceleration capability. Additionally, the Competition controller will support left foot braking without disengaging the 4-motion clutch while out on the track.

This Gen.4 Competition unit does not offer the selectable modes offered in our standard Gen.4 Haldex Performance Controllers (Stock, Race, and Eco, for reference), and therefore no extra switch or remote is required.

The HPA Competition controller is the ultimate tuner solution for your Gen.4 Haldex-equipped car.

The Gen.4 Competition controller is available at a price of $1099.00 + shipping. International customers should contact HPA directly for a shipping quote to their destination.

Orders can be placed with Visa/MC by calling HPA directly at 604.598.8520 ext.110. PayPal payment can also be processed via the HPA Website.

More information on HPA’s Haldex controllers can be found at the following link:

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/haldex.htm

See less See more
#15 ·
woot

Just got the Gen 4 Race mode controller yesterday for my 09 Audi TTS, I'm stage 3 on the car, and it used to just completely sucked in hard corners, also sucked if you wanted to have ANYYYY fun in the winter.

Haldex made the car completely unpredictable for someone who has drive a subaru, or an audi a4 with the quattro awd. Those awd systems are just simply amazing.

While I've hated haldex for a couple years now, it's even made me think of selling the car, this COMPLETELY FIXES IT!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH HPA!

if you want to know what i'm talking about for those of you that haldex is the first awd experience, simply go to a empty walmart parking lot at night, and try to go act like your going to do a figure 8 around 2 light poles, and as you floor it and come out of the corner, the original haldex would totally pull you through as if it were front wheel drive, then the rear would kick in, making a really awkward unnatural feeling, and the car would try to correct itself and then would turn too sharp, and you just end up fighting with the car, WITH HPA's FIX, its COMPLETE OPPOSITE, the car comes out of the corner with slight rwd pushing the car rather than pulling, and its a MILLION TIMES BETTER! (an no its not TOO much rwd now, its the PERFECT RATIO)

I really recommend this to anyone that likes to have fun in their car, and actually enjoys driving. Its worth it by far.

Axel

#16 ·
Just got the Gen 4 Race mode controller yesterday for my 09 Audi TTS, I'm stage 3 on the car, and it used to just completely sucked in hard corners, also sucked if you wanted to have ANYYYY fun in the winter.

Haldex made the car completely unpredictable for someone who has drive a subaru, or an audi a4 with the quattro awd. Those awd systems are just simply amazing.

While I've hated haldex for a couple years now, it's even made me think of selling the car, this COMPLETELY FIXES IT!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH HPA!

if you want to know what i'm talking about for those of you that haldex is the first awd experience, simply go to a empty walmart parking lot at night, and try to go act like your going to do a figure 8 around 2 light poles, and as you floor it and come out of the corner, the original haldex would totally pull you through as if it were front wheel drive, then the rear would kick in, making a really awkward unnatural feeling, and the car would try to correct itself and then would turn too sharp, and you just end up fighting with the car, WITH HPA's FIX, its COMPLETE OPPOSITE, the car comes out of the corner with slight rwd pushing the car rather than pulling, and its a MILLION TIMES BETTER! (an no its not TOO much rwd now, its the PERFECT RATIO)

I really recommend this to anyone that likes to have fun in their car, and actually enjoys driving. Its worth it by far.
:thumbup::thumbup:

#7 ·
A little different, but I have a GEN2 and leave mine in RACE mode nearly all the time (I do have the remote though). I have never had any issue with the traction control/ABS or other OE audi safety features. They work just like normal. Turn those off at your own Peril in the snow!

#10 ·
Mpg?

How would this affect mpg during constant speed highway cruising? Does it still disconnect the rear axle under those types of conditions like I understand the stock controller does?

I understand that during hard / aggressive driving the mpg will drop, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'm curious about when I'm cruising around & commuting.

#13 ·
...This is not an ecu upgrade correct and does not have anything to do with engine management?...Is it only used to control the rear diff? I have already ordered APR stage upgrade and was wondering if it would work in conjunction.
Nothing to do with your ECU...the Haldex is not an engine management system...it will will work in conjunction with an engine flash, no conflict. :cool:

Read more here.

#18 ·
Thanks Darryl for getting the Gen 4 Comp controller shipped out the same day I ordered it. After I hit the tail of the dragon in a couple weeks I will try and get a review of the new controller up on the forums. I'll try and get a run in with an R without the controller and then one in mine to give a good comparison.

#19 ·
Thanks Darryl for getting the Gen 4 Comp controller shipped out the same day I ordered it.
No problem...:)

After I hit the tail of the dragon in a couple weeks I will try and get a review of the new controller up on the forums. I'll try and get a run in with an R without the controller and then one in mine to give a good comparison.
I would appreciate it, as would many would-be buyers I am sure...:beer:

#20 ·
Darryl - can you clarify the differences in the competition controller and the switchable Gen 4 units?

I ordered the switchable Gen 4 because I wanted the option of going back to stock mode, but I emailed you guys and asked if Race on the switchable was the same as the competition only unit. Keir said this was true with a quite clear "The Race mode is the same as the Competition only unit. You will also get the switchable function to go between Stock, ECO, or Race."

#21 ·
Hmmm. Reading the website it sounds to me that the Race and Competition are quite different:

"The HPA Gen.4 Competition Controller is calibrated similar to the "Race mode" setting used in
the standard Gen.4 Performance Controllers, but has the additional feature of increasing the clutch torque when braking. By doing so, wheel brake torque is now transferred rearwards through the AWD clutch, offering a far more aggressive deceleration capability. Additionally, the Competition controller will support left foot braking without disengaging the 4-motion clutch while out on the track."

#23 ·
Apparently I misunderstood.

What I said:
"The race mode on this is the same as the competition only, correct? I just want to be sure of that."

What you said:
"The Race mode is the same as the Competition only unit. You will also get the switchable function to go between Stock, ECO, or Race"

#25 ·
can't wait to install mine..tks again daryl for the speedy processing :p

Tapatalk

#27 ·
Just installed it today. Install was a cinch except that the short clip was a pain to get to. Very limited ability to really get on it after the install, but I could tell immediately that she was pushing a lot more from the rear. I gave it a few good 0-60 launches and it noticeably launched from the rear more and got off the line more quickly, transforming the launch of the car compared to stock launches (which had seemed to bog down at best). I'll start a proper thread and review when I get back from the mountains, but I'm already happy with it and can't wait to see how different twisty bits are with this upgrade. :thumbup:

#28 ·
Just installed it today. Install was a cinch except that the short clip was a pain to get to. Very limited ability to really get on it after the install, but I could tell immediately that she was pushing a lot more from the rear. I gave it a few good 0-60 launches and it noticeably launched from the rear more and got off the line more quickly, transforming the launch of the car compared to stock launches (which had seemed to bog down at best). I'll start a proper thread and review when I get back from the mountains, but I'm already happy with it and can't wait to see how different twisty bits are with this upgrade. :thumbup:
:thumbup::thumbup:

#29 · (Edited)
What is the difference between getting the competition controller and just getting the switchable controller without a switch cable? It seems like they would both be in "race" mode all the time so I'm curious why the competition controller is more expensive.

edit: nvm, I just saw what I missed about retaining rear axle power under braking

#32 ·
Hey guys,

thanks in advance for all the great work for the R community.

I have some questions about the Gen IV controllers, if you can entertain them!

I'm intending to get one of the controllers, not sure yet which one.

The information on the webpage offers a lot of info on all of the controllers, and its all good, but I can't quite decipher a couple of things.

1. The dyno sheets show the effective power (torque?) splits between each mode and between each axle. This I assume is more representative of a static torque split? I don't think you can manipulate a dyno to show dynamic splits, yes?

2. Hence, is there any evidence or stats from your testing about how fast these controllers are sending torque to the wheels? and at what %? Are these truly capable of sending X% of torque rearward? (Rather challenging, as Gen IV doesn't rely on slip to engage, so I guess a quantifiable measurement of "time" is difficult?)

3. For the uninitiated, what is the advantage of rearward torque under braking (in the competition controller)?

4. For this graph:

What is the X axis representing? Not quite sure how to read that.

Thanks!

#33 ·
1.Correct, we can only show you what it would do in a full torque application such as a dyno pull. Although this is also when you will be using your AWD to the fullest is under full load situations.

2. The Gen4 system reacting much quicker then the gen 2 system its very hard to see on the dyno how long it takes. It certainly seems to react as fast as possible given the system.

3. Competition controller. With the current system, braking will result in the rear end to become completetly de-coupled, and you will be entirely mechanically braked by the front wheels. This unselttles car, and does not provide as much stability to run deep into a corner, and power out. There is also the time it takes to re-apply the torque after braking occurs, as it would do this somewhat gradually to not unsettle the car.

The competition unit remains engaged at all times meaning a much deeper run into a corner with the ability to combine mechanical braking with your actual brakes allowing for better cornering manners with less understeer upon exit.

#136 ·
3. Competition controller. With the current system, braking will result in the rear end to become completetly de-coupled, and you will be entirely mechanically braked by the front wheels. This unselttles car, and does not provide as much stability to run deep into a corner, and power out. There is also the time it takes to re-apply the torque after braking occurs, as it would do this somewhat gradually to not unsettle the car.

The competition unit remains engaged at all times meaning a much deeper run into a corner with the ability to combine mechanical braking with your actual brakes allowing for better cornering manners with less understeer upon exit.
Why would one ever care about engine braking on track? Mechanical brakes are what you use to stop. Why would I be able to run deeper into a corner using engine braking? I don't get this at all TBH.

Are you assuming/describing a specific scenario where before a braking zone all 4 wheels are being already powered, and thus the de-coupling when hitting the brakes with OEM controller? In that scenario, yes I can see the longitudinal forces unsettling the car, but driveline change under braking should not unsettle it more than the act of braking itself - i.e. weight transfer to front WILL happen and the back WILL get lighter.

From what I can gather, the advantage would be when you're back on the power, if as you say the OEM system takes longer to transfer the power to the back in order to ensure a smooth longitudinal weight transfer (since it was de-coupled when the brakes were applied). This I would assume is the advantage, no?

#40 ·
installed mine couple of days back. initial feel faster of the line, torque more fm the rear. fc no diff as yet :thumbup::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.