Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HPA Motorsports Haldex Gen.4 “Competition” Controller for Golf R

1. 05-10-2012 09:23 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by damn66 View Post
      ...can't wait to install mine...thanks again Darryl for the speedy processing :p

05-10-2012 09:32 PM #27
      Just installed it today. Install was a cinch except that the short clip was a pain to get to. Very limited ability to really get on it after the install, but I could tell immediately that she was pushing a lot more from the rear. I gave it a few good 0-60 launches and it noticeably launched from the rear more and got off the line more quickly, transforming the launch of the car compared to stock launches (which had seemed to bog down at best). I'll start a proper thread and review when I get back from the mountains, but I'm already happy with it and can't wait to see how different twisty bits are with this upgrade.

3. 05-14-2012 09:34 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by EsqR View Post
      Just installed it today. Install was a cinch except that the short clip was a pain to get to. Very limited ability to really get on it after the install, but I could tell immediately that she was pushing a lot more from the rear. I gave it a few good 0-60 launches and it noticeably launched from the rear more and got off the line more quickly, transforming the launch of the car compared to stock launches (which had seemed to bog down at best). I'll start a proper thread and review when I get back from the mountains, but I'm already happy with it and can't wait to see how different twisty bits are with this upgrade.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R
      05-15-2012 11:46 AM #29
      What is the difference between getting the competition controller and just getting the switchable controller without a switch cable? It seems like they would both be in "race" mode all the time so I'm curious why the competition controller is more expensive.

edit: nvm, I just saw what I missed about retaining rear axle power under braking
      Last edited by dsrtfox; 05-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.

5. 05-15-2012 12:36 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox View Post
      What is the difference between getting the competition controller and just getting the switchable controller without a switch cable?

(Competition version)...retaining rear axle power under braking

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-15-2012 05:04 PM #31
      I just saw what I missed about retaining rear axle power under braking

Figured I'd chime in since I started a debate above on that... I decided to stick with the switchable. I may 'upgrade' to the Comp controller at some point after I get a feel for daily driving, MPGs, etc in race mode.

HPA

7. 05-28-2012 02:03 AM #32
      Hey guys,

thanks in advance for all the great work for the R community.

I have some questions about the Gen IV controllers, if you can entertain them!

I'm intending to get one of the controllers, not sure yet which one.

The information on the webpage offers a lot of info on all of the controllers, and its all good, but I can't quite decipher a couple of things.

1. The dyno sheets show the effective power (torque?) splits between each mode and between each axle. This I assume is more representative of a static torque split? I don't think you can manipulate a dyno to show dynamic splits, yes?

2. Hence, is there any evidence or stats from your testing about how fast these controllers are sending torque to the wheels? and at what %? Are these truly capable of sending X% of torque rearward? (Rather challenging, as Gen IV doesn't rely on slip to engage, so I guess a quantifiable measurement of "time" is difficult?)

3. For the uninitiated, what is the advantage of rearward torque under braking (in the competition controller)?

4. For this graph:

What is the X axis representing? Not quite sure how to read that.

Thanks!

8. Banner Advertiser Sales@HPAmotorsports's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Fast VW's.
      05-28-2012 12:33 PM #33
      1.Correct, we can only show you what it would do in a full torque application such as a dyno pull. Although this is also when you will be using your AWD to the fullest is under full load situations.

2. The Gen4 system reacting much quicker then the gen 2 system its very hard to see on the dyno how long it takes. It certainly seems to react as fast as possible given the system.

3. Competition controller. With the current system, braking will result in the rear end to become completetly de-coupled, and you will be entirely mechanically braked by the front wheels. This unselttles car, and does not provide as much stability to run deep into a corner, and power out. There is also the time it takes to re-apply the torque after braking occurs, as it would do this somewhat gradually to not unsettle the car.

The competition unit remains engaged at all times meaning a much deeper run into a corner with the ability to combine mechanical braking with your actual brakes allowing for better cornering manners with less understeer upon exit.
      Keir Parsons
      T: 604-598-8520 x103 E: sales@hpamotorsport.com
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 20 years of tuning VW's

9. 05-28-2012 09:25 PM #34
      Thanks for the info.

Are there any plans at this stage to make the Competition controller switchable? that would be the best of both worlds!?

Didn't want to order one only to find out that there is one like that in the works!!!

10. 05-29-2012 09:41 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
      Thanks for the info.

Are there any plans at this stage to make the Competition controller switchable? that would be the best of both worlds!?

Didn't want to order one only to find out that there is one like that in the works!!!
      No plans to offer that...we will offer one or the other, but the "competition" will remain a single-mode offering...

Bother versions are currently in stock...

Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco 16V, '12 Golf R
      05-29-2012 10:36 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
      4. For this graph:

What is the X axis representing? Not quite sure how to read that.
      I would also like some clarification of that graph. It is very hard to decypher what the units are for the Y axis & the X axis has no units at all. Please explain what the graph is trying to show.

12. 05-30-2012 08:54 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoX Matt View Post
      I would also like some clarification of that graph. It is very hard to decypher what the units are for the Y axis & the X axis has no units at all. Please explain what the graph is trying to show.
      Bump on ^

13. 05-31-2012 01:10 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoX Matt View Post
      Hi guys,

We have two separate displays in this image

The upper Graph is showcasing how much TQ in NM is being transferred to the rear wheels over a distance of WOT acceleration. X axis is the distance, so you can see that over the same call out, the Race mode will deliver a) greater Peak TQ to the rear, b) will offer an immediate delivery to capture the entire distance of WOT driving, no delay and c) will have as a result of the immediate engagement, a longer delivery period to the rear axle of the car.

The lower Graph is showcasing over the same x axis (distance/period) the amount of possible engine TQ that is being delivered as a percentage. Here you can note that the call out for TQ comes on earlier, and for a longer period. The next result mechanically is displayed on eth upper graph, that the actual force is much greater as the Haldex is being asked to capture a larger percent of TQ early on in the RPM or WOT run.

Hope this helps to clarify. In Competition, the rear is called on immediately allowing for the entire acceleration request to be balanced across the front and rear drive wheels instead of only the later 60+%.
      Marcel Horn
      T: 604-888-7274
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 24 years of tuning VW's

14. 06-02-2012 02:52 PM #39
      All IMs and e-mails replied...more inventory arriving for all applications/controller types next week...

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      06-02-2012 04:03 PM #40
      installed mine couple of days back. initial feel faster of the line, torque more fm the rear. fc no diff as yet
      Golf R CW 3DR|DSG|APRII+ Capristo with Remote|APR Divorced DP|APR HPFP|Neuspeed P-Flo|Neuspeed TOP|Eurojet FMIC||H&R Sway Bars|Supaloy Control Arms|Competition Haldex|HPA Dogbone|Adam's Rotors|APR RFD|AEM WMI Kit

16. 06-08-2012 04:16 PM #41
      All backorders shipped (check you e-mails for tracking information). E-mail or IM me directly for quote to your destination...

17. 06-14-2012 04:18 PM #42
      Both the Gen.4 Switchable "Race" Controllers (with cable or remote) and the Gen.4 "Competition" Controllers for the Golf R available.

Please specify when ordering.

18. 06-20-2012 02:34 PM #43
      IM or e-mail me for a quote on any of our Haldex offerings.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3
      06-22-2012 01:35 PM #44
      Everyone, this upgrade in my opinion makes the car drive more neutral with more of a rear push coming out of turns and from a standstill. Easily one of my favorite upgrades I've done to the car, what a difference!!

Install was pretty straight forward, mine was spilling gear oil when we removed the old unit so we quickly had to swap the new controller in. Tighten two bolts, plug in the two connectors and good to go!

Dave
      2015 Audi A3 2.0 - APR STG 1 Tune, Lowered on H&R SS Springs
      2014 Jaguar F Type V8S Conv

20. 06-22-2012 02:20 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Optimus812 View Post
      Everyone, this upgrade in my opinion makes the car drive more neutral with more of a rear push coming out of turns and from a standstill. Easily one of my favorite upgrades I've done to the car, what a difference!!

Install was pretty straight forward, mine was spilling gear oil when we removed the old unit so we quickly had to swap the new controller in. Tighten two bolts, plug in the two connectors and good to go!

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      06-24-2012 11:23 AM #46
      Erg, do want. Need. More. Money.

22. 06-28-2012 05:16 PM #47
      All IMs and e-mails replied...

Contact HPA directly for a quote for your 4Motion application...

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      07-10-2012 09:00 AM #48
      This may be a silly question - but does this changed the maintenance interval for the haldex system?

24. 07-11-2012 03:23 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
      This may be a silly question - but does this changed the maintenance interval for the haldex system?
      Not a silly question...no change to the interval...

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      07-15-2012 01:49 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by HardKnox View Post
      Erg, do want. Need. More. Money.
      So now I have one. If only my dealer can figure out what Haldex fluid is and where they keep it...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast