Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: question about euroswitch and led drl

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      03-29-2012 11:17 PM #1
      Hello everyone, i just bought an euroswitch, now i've been told if i want to only have my LEDs as DRL i would have to connect the LEDs to the side markers and bend the TFL connector thingy, now my question is would this to the job, also what if i signal left or right would the LEDs blink tooand what if i press emergency blinkers button also, does it matter that i have a HID kit installed??
      Thanks, i hope anyone can answer these questions!!!

Vehicles
      2001.5 VW Passat V6 FWD (RIP), 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6spd manual
      03-30-2012 07:40 AM #2
      sidemarkers means parking lights, not turns. depending on how your leds are already wired, this may already be the case.

1st, no need to bend any pins. just removed the drl relay completely. this will eliminate your drls, but the euroswitch will allow you to turn on your parking lights only with the first turn/click. if your leds are wired to the parking lights, then this would give you parking lights+leds that you can run as drls whenever you choose to.

the next click will turn on the low beams. if you have fogs equipped, then you can pull the switch out once to turn them on with either the parking lights or the low beams. the second pull would do rear fogs, but most of us here don't have those.

so: install the euroswitch, pull the drl relay, and wire your leds to the parking lights if they are not already.
      God bless the homicidal maniacs... they make life worthwhile. - George Carlin

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      03-30-2012 08:29 AM #3
      Isnt the parking lights the corner yellow lights? Im confused man sorry, right now my leds are connected with the low beam/HID kit

Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      sidemarkers means parking lights, not turns. depending on how your leds are already wired, this may already be the case.

1st, no need to bend any pins. just removed the drl relay completely. this will eliminate your drls, but the euroswitch will allow you to turn on your parking lights only with the first turn/click. if your leds are wired to the parking lights, then this would give you parking lights+leds that you can run as drls whenever you choose to.

the next click will turn on the low beams. if you have fogs equipped, then you can pull the switch out once to turn them on with either the parking lights or the low beams. the second pull would do rear fogs, but most of us here don't have those.

so: install the euroswitch, pull the drl relay, and wire your leds to the parking lights if they are not already.

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI 6MT, MK4 Jetta Wolfsburg Lapping Car Project,
      03-30-2012 09:23 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by xLSxGaia View Post
      Isnt the parking lights the corner yellow lights? Im confused man sorry, right now my leds are connected with the low beam/HID kit
      You clearly have aftermarket headlights - so we have absolutly NO idea what your wiring currently does.... so answering your question is impossible.

Post a pic of your lights first, so we know what you are referring to, and make a list of exactly what turns on when you swap the stock switch for the euroswitch. Then we can tell you what to change.
      VAGKRAFT | Red Beetle Heritage Wheels for sale | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      03-30-2012 03:15 PM #5
      Thanks!!!! I would do that

Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      You clearly have aftermarket headlights - so we have absolutly NO idea what your wiring currently does.... so answering your question is impossible.

Post a pic of your lights first, so we know what you are referring to, and make a list of exactly what turns on when you swap the stock switch for the euroswitch. Then we can tell you what to change.

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-08-2012 05:18 PM #6
      If i just ask, where would i connect the leds to have them only as DRLs where would i connect their wires?

Vehicles
      04-08-2012 08:57 PM #7
      There isn't a wire for DRL's as the DRL's are just your low beams.
      IF you wanted to - you could run the euroswitch, pull the DRL switch, and then run the LED's off of the battery with a switched acc relay. Then they'd be on whenever the car is on, and you could turn on parking lights + LED's at the first click of the switch, and then full lights with the second switch.

Or, run the LED's off of whatever wire has power when only the parking lights are on with the euroswitch. Then you could turn them on only when you wanted...

Again, very hard to give advice without knowing how the lights behave now....
      VAGKRAFT | Red Beetle Heritage Wheels for sale | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-09-2012 08:49 AM #8
      Its wired the same as if with the oem headlights the only diff. Is that all the leds are also connected to the low beam harnes, i just intalled the euroswith now i just need to redo the wirering, i read that i need to play and find the correct wire on the parking light harnes, true?, do i need to disconnetct the batterie also? Thanks!!!

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 08:59 AM #9
      I hope you don't kill yourself following this.... attempt at your own risk...

1. Disable the DRL's by pulling the relay under the dash
      2. Turn switch to parking - first click - make sure there is nothing lit up in your headlight, sounds like there won't be.... if something is lit up - then we'll need that info (for example, maybe the LED's will already run as parking lights once you disable DRL). If not, read on...
      3. Use a voltmeter or 12V testor, find the wire that has power in the haedlight harness - should only be one. Test all, just to make sure there isn't anything else hot in there. If there is - something wrong with your headlights...
      4. The wire thats hot when the switch is in parking position needs to be run to your LED's.

Then you'll have the ability to run them as your parking lights...

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 09:42 AM #10
      there was another thread on here about this, and i think the issue is how B5s operate vs B5.5s.

w/ b5.5s, just pulling the drl relay works, but some earlier model b5s need additional wiring done. i'm not familiar with the process, but you should be able to find a write-up w/ info on this around here or on passatworld.

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-09-2012 08:59 PM #11
      ok here are some pix, just click on the link, hope it helps to understand....

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0796.jpg
      http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0798.jpg
      http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0799.jpg

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 09:29 PM #12
      Depends if the Yellow bulb is what turns on when you've disabled the DRL's and turn the switch to parking position....

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-09-2012 09:59 PM #13
      aaahhh!! lol soooo complicated, ok tomorrow i will put tape on the drl pin, its the one that reads TFL right?

Depends if the Yellow bulb is what turns on when you've disabled the DRL's and turn the switch to parking position....

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 10:35 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by xLSxGaia View Post
      aaahhh!! lol soooo complicated, ok tomorrow i will put tape on the drl pin, its the one that reads TFL right?
      Not sure if that's all it takes for B5's.... mines a B5.5. I'm sure a quick search will tell you.

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-10-2012 07:43 PM #15
      i guess ur right i mean in the off position everything is off, but when u do the first turn, everything turns on even the low beam, should i try disconnecting the relay 173?, my goal is to only have the yellow corner bulb on with the first turn of the switch, also, is it a problem if i have an HID kit?

Vehicles
      04-10-2012 07:57 PM #16
      Someone with a B5 is going to have to help.... its different for B5.5's...

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-10-2012 08:24 PM #17
      aww damnit, OK ANYBODY WITH A B5 PASSAT PLEASE HELPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 08:16 AM #18
      Not sure if this link will help, but read the entire thread. The pics and links are old and broken but the info might be helpful.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...-2nd-post.html

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-11-2012 09:40 AM #19
      Thanks!!! I will try to tape pin 56D lets see if that works

Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      Not sure if this link will help, but read the entire thread. The pics and links are old and broken but the info might be helpful.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...-2nd-post.html

Vehicles
      2004 vw jetta wagon, 1990 vw jetta coupe, 1980 rabbit truck
      04-11-2012 03:35 PM #20
      Learn something new everyday.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-11-2012 04:02 PM #21
      Hey, so i just removed relay 173 and it works!!! Now i just need to connect my leds to one of the yellow corner bulb right becsuse the first turn of the switch only turns on the yellow corner bulb, now the question is.... Which cable? Anybody?

Vehicles
      04-11-2012 04:30 PM #22
      Which cable is the LED's or which cable is the yellow lights?

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-11-2012 05:05 PM #23
      Which cable is the LED's or which cable is the yellow lights?
      As u can see in link i posted above, my leds are conected to the low beam wire and the yellow corner bulb wires are untouched, now im thinking i need to connect the leds to one of the yellow corner bulb wires right?

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-12-2012 07:00 AM #24
      The leds cables are white n black

Vehicles
      1998 passat
      04-16-2012 07:21 PM #25
      I hope you don't kill yourself following this.... attempt at your own risk...

1. Disable the DRL's by pulling the relay under the dash
      2. Turn switch to parking - first click - make sure there is nothing lit up in your headlight, sounds like there won't be.... if something is lit up - then we'll need that info (for example, maybe the LED's will already run as parking lights once you disable DRL). If not, read on...
      3. Use a voltmeter or 12V testor, find the wire that has power in the haedlight harness - should only be one. Test all, just to make sure there isn't anything else hot in there. If there is - something wrong with your headlights...
      4. The wire thats hot when the switch is in parking position needs to be run to your LED's.

Then you'll have the ability to run them as your parking lights...
      ok i done it!!! thanks guys for the help!!!

[IMG][/IMG]