Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Picking up a 1.8t wagon soon, exhaust questions!! and a few others.. help!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      03-30-2012 12:55 AM #1
      i'm good
      Last edited by zanderflex; 06-25-2012 at 07:57 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat 1.8t Estate
      04-01-2012 05:13 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by zanderflex View Post
      What's up vortex! So I left the dub game, flipped my STI (literally, not like resold it for more money) and now I'm coming back lmfao, so anyway.. I'm gonna get into something practical for work while I save up for another Subi, and figured a wagon would be pretty legit. I used to have a 04 GLi with typical mods.. best car I ever owned. So I want to pretty much replicate the slight mods I did, into a Passat. Relating to exhaust, I want a 3" downpipe, to either a 2.5" or 3" catback, doesn't really matter to me.. catless on the downpipe, of course. I can't seem to really find anything though.. what do you guys recommend?! mk4 parts were sooooo easy to come across haha this is like a whole new world to me!

Also, with a front mount, best brand? I'm having trouble finding setups and stuff! I'd love buying used stuff to save some cash, so if anyone knows of anything let me know!!

Pretty much, mainly right now I'm just focused on
      Exhaust (no clue here..)
      Coilovers (prob gonna go with FK streets cuz that's what I had on my Jetta, great bang for your buck)
      FMIC (no clue)
      Turbo Inlet Pipe (forge? had it on my Jetta as well..)

in that order help me out! Thank you. cheers
      ecstuning.com
      fcpeuro.com

exhaust i've only read recommendations on techtonic tuning.
      coilovers i've heard/read about a few variations, but n decisive myself
      fmic I'm unsure of, looking for suggestions
      turbo inlet pipe...unsure

there are deals on here as well as passatworld.com

sorry I'm not much of a help, working on my first variant myself...I'm an air cooled guy originally

good luck!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      04-03-2012 07:41 PM #3
      Hey anything is better than nothing! I am gonna be custom making the catback on my car, I'm just curious as to where I can get a damn downpipe! I want to get a used one, maybe at Dubs on Defrost this weekend I can find something.. hope so. Coils I'm gonna be getting off ECS, just gonna get FK streets which is what I had on my GLi and loved the way they felt, especially for the price.. otherwise, I'll keep looking if anyone else knows where I can get a good non catted downpipe, let me know.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      04-18-2012 11:10 AM #4
      If all goes according to plan, I will have my wagon this thursday.. will be ordering coilovers the second I get home with it but still haven't really found much as for the exhaust.. Mainly a downpipe, I will probably get a 3" custom fabricated at a shop near me.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      98 Passat 1.8t
      04-18-2012 04:33 PM #5
      I'm pretty sure the cat on the b5/b5.5 passat is separate from the downpipe, IIRC there is a race/cat delete pipe kit sold on ECS to take care of that for you. The cat bolts on directly after your turbo and after the cat comes your downpipe/exhaust system.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      04-19-2012 09:41 AM #6
      Yeah I saw that.. the thing is, I want 3".. I can only seem to find 2.5"

7. 04-19-2012 05:30 PM #7
      You can get 3" catless DP of ebay (try searching A4 same thing but more people mod them for power)or custom, shouldn't be problem if you have a custom exhaust done just get it from the turbo back
      FMIC same thing, ebay or custom.
      I think forge do a tip
      Look at the new V-maxx xxtreme coilovers with damping adjustment, great ride and go lowww
      maybe look into a forge DV and changing the N75

There really isn't a lot of tuning part specific for the Passat, but it still a 1.8t so all the same mods apply but you may just have to go custom on some things and chip/software up grade should be top of your list unless your going BT then do the turbo and bolt ons then get it tuned.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      04-27-2012 02:46 PM #9
      Thanks for the help!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      B5.5, Range Rover Classic
      04-28-2012 03:01 AM #10
      Your going to spend the coin on coilovers and you want a used downpipe? comon cough up the scratch and get the ECS pipe. You'll need to flash the ecm to cancel the 2nd O2sensor or do the diode mod. I found this "cat" back stainless setup w/ borla mufflers. I dont know what yr your passat is but you'll want to open your options up if your going down this route.

http://www.urotuning.com/shop/techto...05-p-1547.html

10. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      04-28-2012 11:13 AM #11
      I had a GLI with a fair amount of work and I know about other stuff. I don't plan on having this car too long, so I def am not spending all my money on it. I had an eBay downpipe. It's a piece of metal. But anyway, thanks I always wanted to try borla.. Maybe.
      UH

11. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      04-28-2012 11:16 AM #12
      But not for that price! I have a muffler from my old GHL catback, I'm gonna buy a downpipe run over to shea stadium and custom fab an exhaust.
      UH

12. Member
      Vehicles
      B5.5, Range Rover Classic
      04-30-2012 10:25 PM #13
      I think the suby crowd rubbed off on you the wrong way. No ricer coffeecan muffler on a german product pls.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      05-01-2012 08:44 AM #14
      Lol I just said I have my old GHL muffler I just need them to bend me some piping, quite frankly the Subaru scene wasn't ricey my friend. But thanks for the pointless input.
      just messing with you.. I have good taste no worries! But I gotta say.. Euro is the way to go.
      UH

14. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      05-01-2012 08:49 AM #15
      I'm going register the car right now.. Coils are already on their way hahaha anyone have input on an eBay front mount? I don't have a grand to drop on a forge or APR /: piping is piping, no?
      UH

15. Member
      Vehicles
      00 s4
      05-10-2012 01:19 PM #16
      Still trouble finding a good cheap dp... Gonna check custom build price soon. Bump.
      UH

16. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat
      05-11-2012 04:51 PM #17
      I have a Godspeed front mount. Nothing to write home about, but it's still holding up after 50k miles. And I had an eBay stainless down pipe. Worked really well for ~48k miles. Still looked new when I pulled it off. You usually get what you pay for. That front mount is thin and probably doesn't do what a Black Forest does, but it does more than nothing. The down pipe is a tricky beast. Welds break from the extreme heat and whatnot. Might want to spend a little more on that one. I'd rather have a quality down pipe than $1200 coils. If you really feel like you need a new DP I guess.