Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Know anything about the Vapor recovery system?

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta Sportwagen
      03-30-2012 11:50 AM #1
      I purchased and 2010 Jetta Sportwagen S that had been hit in the right rear of the car.
      Damage was repaired and the car is awesome.
      However, my engine light is always on.
      My local VW dealer informed me that the car is in good shape, but it's missing the vapor recovery system. Each time the engine light is reset, it lights up again after I fill up the gas tank because it is missing.
      how important is this unit?
      they want almost $600 for a new one with installation.
      Is there a way to bypass the sensor so that the engine light no longer goes on?

Additionally, the radio antennae in the window was severed and they also want almost $400 for that.
      Any ideas about cheaper replacement antenna alternative? I have the base radio, no satellite or Nav.. Not sure if there is a shark fin antenna made for AM/FM reception, I haven;t found one.

I don;t mind putting money into the car, I expected that I might given the history.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW 2.5 S 5sp
      04-01-2012 11:18 AM #2
      As for the vapor recovery system, all I can say is that it should be there.

As for the antenna, it's hard to say exactly what you can use without knowing what is left in your car. You should have a cable that goes from the radio to the c-pillar. On the c-pillar, the antenna wire should be connected to a small antenna module. There should be wires coming out of the module that attach to connectors on the edge of the side window. The antennae themselves are printed on the glass, similar to the defroster wires on the rear window. What exactly are they doing for the $400?

Your car should also have a small sharkfin antenna on the roof. It is actually a non-functional dummy antenna that fills the square hole in the roof. If you wanted to bypass the side window antenna, you could replace the dummy with a conventional roof mounted antenna. You would need the antenna base, a mast, and probably a couple of extension cables (to connect the roof antenna to the antenna wire at the c-pillar.

04-01-2012 03:39 PM #3
      Welcome to the forum, Matthew.

Bill
      2012 Beetle 2.0 TSI/DSG White Launch Edition
      2012 A3 2.0 TDI/DSG White S-Line Premium