The monthly contest will continue this month. But you guys must play nice and follow the rules. They are here for a reason and if you do not follow them, you'll be excluded with no warning.
1. Photo must be taken DURING the assignment time period. That means shot after the first posting of the assignment and before the deadline. NO EXCEPTIONS. This encourages you to go out and shoot with the assignment in mind. Please keep EXIF intact so that others can see it. If you use a host that does not retain the EXIF, please link back to the original photo at the host site. Do not use "save for web" to save images as that strips the EXIF info, use the regular "save as" command to insure it remains intact. One entry per person. You MUST have some way to prove when the photo was taken via EXIF or a link to a site that will display this data.
In other words, you see the topic FIRST, THEN YOU SHOOT THE PHOTO. If you did not do that, its not eligible for the contest.
2. Please do not type any explanations of the photo as to how it relates to the topic. Let the photo speak for itself.
3. Basic Photoshop/editing is allowed (levels, exposure, saturation, sharpening, etc), but no complete altering of the photo/subject, as in, no fake blurs, no HDR, no dropping one subject into a different background, that kind of stuff. Converting to B&W and selective color is OK. Removing small objects that do not belong is also OK.
4. No borders or frames on the photos. This tends to detract from or unfairly add to a photo and the judging is on the photo itself, not how nicely you can present it.
5. No nudity, illegal activity, implied illegal activity, or anything else that would normally not be allowed in this forum should be posted.
6. Post entries in this thread, do not make a separate thread for each entry. You have until Midnight Pacific Time on the 23rd to post your entry.
7. The assignment thread is for posting photos ONLY, no discussion until voting starts and all ideas/questions should be directed to the person who is in charge of the assignment that month.
8. On the 24th, use THIS thread to post critiques and who you think the winner should be. Until a better alternative is found, the person in charge of the month will tally the votes and declare a winner. Any entry deemed NOT on topic may be left out of the poll at the discretion of person in charge of month. Voting will last till the last day of the month when a winner will be chosen and the new assignment will start. So you should be ready to take over for the next month and have a topic in mind that you can send to me immediately.
As a reminder, please do not enter the contest unless you have an idea for a topic next month. Many winners have said "I didn't expect to win so I'm not sure what I should do for a topic." Have it in your head already or DO NOT enter the contest because if you win you MUST come up with something.
I must receive an IM with the new topic at the beginning of the month. I will not start the new month until I have that topic IM'd to me so please make sure you do this. If you're traveling or going to be unavailable at the time the contest ends, make sure you give me an IM before then or make sure someone else can contact me.
These rules aren't hard, please be prepared if you are going to participate.
Whatever the winner wants the topic to be, that is it. Do not start polls or have questions about what would be good. Send me the topic so we can move forward.
I don't always have the time to watch over or organize this, however, I will post the sticky for each assignment. You guys must self regulate and come up with your own ideas.
Please report any problems or issues directly to me, report all assignment related questions to the person in charge that month. Everyone is encouraged to participate regardless of skill level. With or without an SLR. It will help you grow as a photographer to see how others perspectives on a similar subject.
Person in charge this month is 71sbeetle, so contact him with any questions about the subject.
Previous topics have been:
- Apri 2007 - Reflections
- May 2007- Life's simple pleasures
- June 2007 - Landscapes
- July 2007 - Industry
- August 2007 - Solitude
- September 2007 - City Life
- October 2007 - Silhouettes
- November 2007 - no contest
- December 2007 - Holidays
- January 2008 - Music
- February 2008 - Motion
- March 2008 - Water
- April 2008 - Rust
- May 2008 - A bug's life
- June 2008 - Refreshing
- July 2008 - Urban Decay
- August 2008 - Symmetry
- September 2008 - Shallow Depth of Field
- October 2008 - Out of Place
- November 2008 - Patriotism
- December 2008 - Story
- January 2009 - Relationships
- February 2009 - Athletics
- March 2009 - Colors
- April 2009 - Sounds
- May 2009 - Float
- June 2009 - Cinematic 16x9
- July 2009 - A day in the life
- August 2009 - Manipulating light
- September 2009 - Letters of the Alphabet
- October 2009 - Hardware
- November 2009 - Vices
- December 2009 - Skin
- January 2010 - Glass/Glasses
- February 2010 - Beauty
- March 2010 - Architecture
- April 2010 - Long Exposure
- May 2010 - Dangerous
- June 2010 - Relaxed
- July 2010 - Beat The Heat
- August 2010 - Good Eats
- September 2010 - Animals
- October 2010 - smoke/fog/steam
- November 2010 - Grain is good
- December 2010 - Double Exposure
- January 2011 - Mathematics
- February 2011 - Valentine
- March 2011 - Your favorite item/tool/gadget
- April 2011 - Spring
- May 2011 - The Beauty of Age
- June 2011 - Pretty in Pink
- July 2011 - Aftermath
- August 2011 - Dog Days of Summer
- September 2011 - Fragile
- October-November 2011 - Temptation
- December 2011 - No Contest
- January 2012 - No Contest
- February 2012 - No Contest
- March 2012 - Attention To Detail
Please be prepared to choose something new if you win.
Enjoy, and let your imagination run wild.