Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. mk7 Release?

1. Member
      06-14-2012 10:30 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      Of course they can and typically do stockpile a few thousand to sell cars in the September-December time frame. But for an entire year? That makes no sense - it's way more expensive to put these cars into extensive storage than to simply divert a small number of US/Canada bound cars, in batches, as they usually do. Yes, first production has always been for Europe, but I see no compelling reason why VW would wait an entire year before making shipments to the US.
      Because they simply don't have to. Especially if they're producing at capacity to meet european demand for the first couple months.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-15-2012 02:04 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      Because they simply don't have to. Especially if they're producing at capacity to meet european demand for the first couple months.
      Again, I complete agree with the "first couple of months" time frame to meet initially high European demand, coupled with better profit margins. However, to not sell a Golf, TDI, or GTI in the US for an entire year is simply bad business practice for many reasons. For one, even otherwise loyal buyers will turn away from VW and start exploring options from other manufacturers. Also, while not as popular as the Jetta, the Golf is still iconic here in the US for Volkswagen. VW is on its way to sell of the order of 50,000 Golfs this year in the US. That's not small change. In fact, using an average transaction price of $24,000 (including TDI, GTI, and R), that's a volume of $1.2 billion lost business opportunity.

3. Member
      06-15-2012 02:49 AM #28
      Since when did VWoA start shying away from bad business practices?

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      06-15-2012 03:09 PM #29
      MK5 was on sale in Europe a full year before the US.

Also there wasn't a year gap between the US MK4 and MK5.

Dealers were sent crappy 2005 Model 2 Door 1.8T GTI's with mostly auto up till September 2005.

MK5 GTI was launched as a 2006 model in February 2006.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      06-20-2012 09:02 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      Again, I complete agree with the "first couple of months" time frame to meet initially high European demand, coupled with better profit margins. However, to not sell a Golf, TDI, or GTI in the US for an entire year is simply bad business practice for many reasons.
      When did the MK6 make it to North America? Wasn't it in October of 2009? Almost a year after its European debut.

6. 06-20-2012 10:49 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      When did the MK6 make it to North America? Wasn't it in October of 2009? Almost a year after its European debut.
      The 2013 GTI is a Mk6. the Mk7 will be available in the states Sept '13.

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      06-20-2012 02:04 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      It would probably be a year after the European release before you'd see the MK7. The MK5 didn't show up until 2 years after the European release. If you want a car within the next year, I'd go ahead and get the MK6 or find an alternative, I wouldn't hold my breath for the MK7 getting here any time soon.
      3, almost 4

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI & 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      06-20-2012 02:36 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
      From what I have read the MK6 was born due production cost cutting.

The MK5 was selling like hotcakes in Europe and was selling on par here in the US.
      It did cut costs, but I clearly remember reading that it was less popular than the fourth generation. I want to say that the Golf even briefly stopping being the best-selling car in Europe during this generation. It wasn't the massive sales flop there that it was in the US, but as a whole, it didn't sell well. It may have sold like "hotcakes" because it is one of Europe's most popular cars, in the most popular size, in the most popular variant (hatchback), but the fourth and sixth generation that sandwiched it sold like super-hotcakes.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-21-2012 03:22 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by EUROBORA8V View Post
      3, almost 4
      That was a different situation - the MkIV continued to be built in Brazil and Mexico while the MkV was built in Germany and sold in Europe. The US-destined MkVI is only made in Germany, so production ceases altogether, this fall.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

10. n00b
      06-21-2012 06:19 AM #35
      Several posters here have mentioned that VW is set to unveil the Mk VII at the Paris auto show in September, but some sources say that's just the Golf, and that the GTI won't debut until six months later, at the Geneva show in March. That's not to say that the Golf and GTI couldn't both go on sale in the US in the fall. But another source says the GTI won't be available (presumably in the UK) until the end of 2013.

Did previous GTIs lag behind Golfs here in the US?

Vehicles
      MkVII Golf 1.8t
      06-21-2012 09:03 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by davest View Post
      Did previous GTIs lag behind Golfs here in the US?
      As far as I can remember, I don't believe the Golf and the GTI have ever showed up at the same time, at least here in Canada. And, I'm pretty sure that the MkIV GTI was here (6 months?) before regular Golf. (But I'm old and may have brain-fade).

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      06-21-2012 10:55 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Brush View Post
      As far as I can remember, I don't believe the Golf and the GTI have ever showed up at the same time, at least here in Canada. And, I'm pretty sure that the MkIV GTI was here (6 months?) before regular Golf. (But I'm old and may have brain-fade).
      The MK6s came here at (pretty much) the same time.

Vehicles
      black 2012 VW Golf
      07-01-2012 10:06 PM #38
      The Golf has always been introduced later in the USA. How far back do you want to go? The original Golf was introduced in Europe in June 1974, in the US and Canada seven months later as the Rabbit. And of course, it took six years before we got the original GTI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12